The Pink Fuzzy Slipper
Writers are delighted to
welcome editor,
Kathryn Cottrell of
The Wild Rose Press's

Last Rose of Summer Line.


This is so exciting! Ms Cottrell is here to tell us about her latest project,
be sure to read all the way to the bottom, you'll be glad you did.

Welcome Kathyrn, we are so please to have you join us to kick off
our blog adventure with the Class of '85!

Did you ever wonder what happened to . . .

The Prom Queen?
The guy most likely to serve time in a maximum security cell?
The couple voted most likely to succeed?

The Last Rose of Summer invites you to a reunion of The Class of '85

In March, 2010, an invitation to the 25th reunion of the Class of 1985 of Summerville High School went out to published authors at the Wild Rose Press, asking if they might be interested in rewriting a bit of history . . . or exacting a bit of revenge. Initial interest was so huge, we issued a general call for submissions—from there, RSVP's took off.

The setting, already created by a few Wild Rose Press editors, was based on an historic neighborhood in Rochester New York which features brick and stone mansions and quaint parks. We picked it up [figuratively] and dropped it on a bluff overlooking Lake Ontario. With a few bare essentials of a church, school system, hospital, minor league sports teams, and a college, the rest was left to the authors to invent.

By the end of May, we had contracted eight stories. To date [early September] fifteen stories have been contracted. An email loop set up for the sole use of Class of '85 authors has proved to be a wealth of support and information. Photographs of real “Summerville” mansions and existing beach scenes, including the Coast Guard Station and Summerville Pier and Lighthouse, were shared. Authors came together to identify secondary characters who will eventually star in their own story. This includes the former schoolyard bully now Chief of Police who, because of an irresistible nickname, has become a legend in his own mind—thanks to several vivid [and vicious] imaginations!

Thanks to multi-talented Nicola Martinez, who has provided us with incredible cover art, the reunion class boasts one [retired] rock star, two network news anchors, one dual Pulitzer Prize winner, one movie action hero, a high fashion photographer, a modeling agent, one crusading attorney, a former cosmetics giant turned doggy treat mogul, and a couple geeks turned computer magnates. And that's only a few of the published [or soon to be] stories.

Getting It Right”, the first of the alums, arrived at the reunion on August 11th and featured a network news anchor who returns to Summerville to make amends. This time he gets it right, believe me.

The Serious Moonlight”, with seriously gorgeous cover art and a beauty and the beast theme, was released on August 18th.

Lonely Road Back to You” tells the story of a burned out rock star and a children's book author who travel from a Montana cattle ranch to Western New York State for the reunion. Along the way, they find love and learn acceptance. This one made me weep at the end. As I told the author when I offered the contract, 'I don't do crying, dear.'

I'm showing my age when I brag that the cover art for “Corvette Confessions”, due out September 8th, is too cute for words—is right out of Happy Days or My Three Sons. It's a darling story that takes place inside a classic Corvette in the school's auto shop.

Three other beauties are scheduled for release through the month of September: “Fairy Tales Do Come True” [9/15/10]; “Bonded For Life” [9/22/10]; and “Transatlantic Loving” [9/29/10].

On behalf of the authors from the Class of '85, as well the editors and staff at the Wild Rose Press, we thank you for inviting us to Fuzzy Pink Slippers, and hope you'll stop by the bookstore [www.wildrosepress.com] to check out some or all of our classmates.

Summerville High Forever!

BTW, submissions are always welcome at: queryus@thewildrosepress.com. Please include CLASS OF '85 in the subject line.

32 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // September 7, 2010 at 10:20 AM  

    Hey, Kathy! So glad you agreed to visit us. This series rocks already! Great job!

  2. Judith Keim // September 7, 2010 at 11:20 AM  

    Such a very cute idea...I love it. Kathy, welcome to the Fuzzies. It's so wonderful to have people of your stature join us! Good luck with the series!

  3. Jannine Gallant // September 7, 2010 at 11:37 AM  

    I am so glad you came up with the idea for this series, Kathy. Writing is usually a solitary endeavor, but working on this series has been a joint effort. The authors pooled their ideas to maintain continuity within the reunion itself, and it has been a blast working with such a fun group of women!

  4. Barbara Monajem // September 7, 2010 at 11:43 AM  

    Wow, what a cool concept. I agree about joint efforts being wonderful. I'm enjoying the Harlequin historical continuity, Regency Silk and Scandal, because it's written by several authors, and also there's a great multi-author free read on the Petit Fours and Hot Tamales this month. Working together produces such fun results!

  5. Sharon Buchbinder, Romance Author // September 7, 2010 at 1:39 PM  

    I dreaded going to my 35th class reunion, having never gone to one since I graduated. I came away with such a wealth of story material, that I eagerly rushed to my 40th. At last, I have a place to let my inner child out to play and to weave some of those loose threads into a series with a group of very dedicated authors who share and cheer with each other. I hope others will join us. And thanks for letting us come and play at the Fuzzies!

  6. Beth Trissel // September 7, 2010 at 3:07 PM  

    Hello Kathy and welcome to the Fuzzies! What a super idea for a line. I like it.

  7. Mona Risk // September 7, 2010 at 3:41 PM  

    Kathy welcome to the Fuzzy Slippers. What a wonderful idea for a series. I often attend school reunions and love them.

  8. Anonymous // September 7, 2010 at 5:34 PM  

    From the moment I learned of this series, I wanted in. As it just so happened I was working on a story about a man who was returning to his hometown for the first time in 25 years. So, thank you Kathy not only for giving Tye a home, but for opening the door for me to work with some very creative and wonderful authors. Working on this series is a joy.

    Donna L. Bolk

  9. Autumn Jordon // September 7, 2010 at 5:39 PM  

    Hi, Kathy. Thnaks for visiting us. This series sounds like so much fun. You said there were already fifiteen contracted. How many do you foresee in the series?

    I've definitely going to check these books.

    AJ

  10. MJFredrick // September 7, 2010 at 5:48 PM  

    I loved writing for this series! What a fun concept, right? And the group effort has been fun and educational. And the timing couldn't have been better--my class reunion was this summer! Great inspiration :)

  11. Scarlet Pumpernickel // September 7, 2010 at 8:36 PM  

    What a fun blog and did everyone read down to the end and see that Kathy is still taking submissions? I have had the pleasure of being a member of the '85 reunion writers loop and it has been a great thing. I haven't turned in my story yet, so keep your fingers crossed for me.

    The authors of this series will be blogging for the Fuzzies through out the month. Be sure to stop back by to learn more about this terrific line.

  12. Mary Ricksen // September 7, 2010 at 9:28 PM  

    Great blog Kathy. Let me know when you do the High School class of 67.

    Seriously, these are the kind of books there should be a lot more of.
    Good luck with the series and thanks kindly for stopping by the PFS. We love TWRP and all it's authors.

  13. Josie // September 7, 2010 at 9:28 PM  

    Hi Kathy,
    Thanks for visiting the Pink Fuzzies today, and thank you, Scarlet, for inviting her.
    What a great concept for a series. Fabulous idea.

  14. Patrice // September 7, 2010 at 10:27 PM  

    Great to see you hear, Kathy!
    What pleasant memories this series provokes. Great idea. Sure to be a big hit.

  15. Jill James // September 7, 2010 at 10:50 PM  

    I just 'saw' you at TWRP chat. LOL I can't wait to read these stories. I'm the Class of '81, so close enough to remember.

  16. Jennifer Feddersen // September 7, 2010 at 10:54 PM  

    I would have been all over this if I hadn't launched a company at the same time you all came up with the idea.

    It's still tempting....

  17. Joyce Henderson // September 7, 2010 at 11:18 PM  

    What fun! I've never been in the North East. Haven't a clue what it's like on one of those lakes. I'd guess the water is cold! Well, yeah, when you consider the Gulf was 87 degrees yesterday. :-)
    The covers are great and the tags are intriguing. Certainly worth checking out.

  18. Pamela Varnado // September 7, 2010 at 11:20 PM  

    Hi Kathy, the concept for your stories sounds awesome. I enjoy reading books with a variety of authors. It's how I find a writer to add to my list of must read books. If I like what an author's story in the anthology, I'll go out and buy his or her backlist.

  19. Silver James // September 7, 2010 at 11:28 PM  

    Today was crazy as I got back in the swing of things after a weekend trip to New Orleans. Sorry to be so late to the party. As one of the lucky Reunion authors, I had a blast writing my contribution, FAIRY TALES CAN COME TRUE (coming out the 15th). Kathy is a dream to work with as an editor and the other authors are a continuous source of inspiration. I can't wait to get all the stories and read them. I feel like I already know some of the characters! LOL

    Thank you, Kathy for the terrific idea for the series and to the Ladies of the Pink Fuzzy Slipper Writers for hosting us!

  20. P.L. Parker // September 7, 2010 at 11:47 PM  

    Got here late but enjoyed the post, very entertaining and great idea.

  21. Margaret Tanner // September 8, 2010 at 6:19 AM  

    Hi Kathy,
    What an interesting series concept, a trip down memory lane couldn't be anything else but a winner.

    Regards

    Margaret

  22. Kathryn Cottrell // September 8, 2010 at 12:13 PM  

    Mary Marvella and all Pink Fuzzy Slipper authors--
    My most sincere apologies for mis-writing the blog's name at the end of my post. I am mortified by my sloppy wording.
    Kathy

  23. KathyCottrell@thewildrosepress.com // September 8, 2010 at 12:24 PM  

    The response from the PFS authors has been overwhelming. Thank you all so much.
    the cause of the delay in my response has to do with my 'day' job--providing child care to a 2 and 4 year old which leaves me exhausted. And . . . I couldn't find the "leave comment" command--my bad totally.
    I shall try to do better.
    As for the idea for the reunion, I cannot take credit. It came about during a Last Rose of Summer staff meeting when the conversation deteriorated into what we'd do to the prom queen or the guy who dated every girl in school. Of course we made HER fat and ugly--and he is bald and slovenly with a pot belly down to his knees.
    I love the Last Rose editors; they think just like me!!
    I came away from the meeting with the promise to the staff to mull things over. Within days, another WRP editor offered the basics for the Reunion Invitation and it simply took off from there.
    "Summerville" had already been created for a now-defunct WRP anthology. Those authors gave me permission to use the town and off we went.
    Now for another apology: this one to Silver James. I mis-stated the title of your book in my opening blog post. I am so terribly sorry.
    And yes. . . submissions will continue to be accepted for many months to come.
    As I said before--if you ever wanted to take a slap at someone from high school, or your life in general, the Class of '85 is the place to do it.
    Love Live Summerville High!!
    Kathy

  24. Unknown // September 8, 2010 at 2:02 PM  

    KATHY--this sounds so exciting! How I would love to participate, but it's way out of my league--now my kids? They could write a story! I congratulate all of you on the conception and birth of this wonderful series. I can already see it will be a winner. Celia

  25. Margo Hoornstra // September 8, 2010 at 2:31 PM  

    I'm another author thrilled to have made a contribution to the series with Glad Tidings - a holiday story due out later this year featuring two Summerville High School alumni.

    It's been a blast working with other authors to share ideas and create characters.

    Thanks, Kathy, for bringing us together.

  26. Bianca Swan // September 8, 2010 at 3:55 PM  

    Great covers and what's between them sounds intriguing.

  27. Jana Richards // September 8, 2010 at 5:08 PM  

    Hi to Kathy and the ladies of PFS. I'm still working on my contribution to the series and hope to submit soon. I've got my fingers crossed!

  28. Clare Austin // September 8, 2010 at 5:24 PM  

    Kathy, the '85 series sounds like great fun. I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for letting us know what's coming.
    Clare Austin
    www.clareaustin.com
    www.clareaustin.wordpress.com

  29. Mary Marvella // September 8, 2010 at 5:27 PM  

    Keep the comments coming, ladies!

    Kathy, I didn't see a thing. You're fine! Feel free to return to respond to last minute and late comments.

  30. Lilly Gayle // September 8, 2010 at 5:40 PM  

    Hi Kathy,
    I write for the Black Rose line and have a submission in to the historical line at TWRP, but I love reunion stories. And these sound just too stinking cute. I graduated in 78 so my 25 year reunion is long past, but I had a blast. Can't wait to read a few stories from Summerville High's 25 year reunion.

  31. Maeve Greyson // September 8, 2010 at 5:41 PM  

    This series sweeps me back to a simpler time when my biggest worry was fitting in with the crowd with the perfect outfit. What a marvelous way to relive the past and escape from daily stress! I look forward to enjoying all the stories. Congrats to all the authors, editors and cover artists! Well done indeed!

  32. Anonymous // September 8, 2010 at 5:59 PM  

    Considering I'm not going to my 20th next year, reunions are heavily on my mind. I wonder if I got me a reunion tale within me.

    Hm. Can I write non-erotica? Now that's the question...and the challenge.