Celebrate my Release Day party here with The Fuzzies! I'm serving chocolate mousse, wearing my colonial gown with voluminous skirts, embroidered stomacher, lace and ribbons. One lucky commenter wins a digital copy of Red Bird's Song and a second one wins a signed copy of the book, so comment away. :)

To start us off, a bit about the storyRed Bird’s Song is my first child, an oft rewritten historical, a poignant romance written deeply from my heart. Each of my stories is my favorite when I'm writing it, but there's something special about Red Bird's Song.  Maybe because many of the events depicted in the story and the inspiration behind it are true. Red Red Bird’s Song is based on events that happened to my early American Scots-Irish ancestors in the Virginia colonial frontier. The novel began as historical fiction with a strong romantic element but evolved into a historical romance, painstakingly researched and pulsing with emotion. The romance between Wicomechee and Charity throbs with tension, tenderness, passion and angst.

A bonus for readers, at the end of the book is the account of this Shawnee warrior I discovered in distant branches of the family tree. Yes, Wicomechee really lived and he comes vividly to life along with the others characters in this adventurous romance with a strong The Last of the Mohicans flavor.

Blurb

Taken captive by a war party wasn’t how Charity Edmonson hoped to escape an unwanted marriage. Nor did Shawnee warrior Wicomechee expect to find the treasure promised by his grandfather’s vision in the unpredictable red-headed girl.

George III’s English Red-Coats, unprincipled colonial militia, prejudice and jealousy are not the only enemies Charity and Wicomechee will face before they can hope for a peaceful life. The greatest obstacle to happiness is in their own hearts.  As they struggle through bleak mountains and cold weather, facing wild nature and wilder men, Wicomechee and Charity must learn to trust each other.

                                                                     ****
Excerpt:
Charity swiped angrily at a tear.
She’d run away, if she had anyone to run to.
It wasn’t right they were all dead.

On impulse, she jumped to the ground. “I’ll go anyway,” she muttered. “Eat nuts and berries and live in the woods.”

“Will you go alone?” a low voice asked.

Sucking in her breath, she whirled around. Less than twenty feet away, grasping his musket, stood a tall young brave. Stripes of red and black paint blurred his striking features. His dark brown eyes riveted her in place. This warrior was like no other and the most savagely handsome man she’d ever seen.

God help her. She should flee now, but could only stare, open-mouthed. She swept her disbelieving gaze over the loose black hair brushing an open buckskin vest that revealed his bronzed chest and shoulders molded into contours of muscle. An elkskin breechclout left a great deal of his hard thighs exposed. Despite the dread hammering in her chest, a fiery blush burned her cheeks. But it was the sheathed knife hanging on his left side and the lethal tomahawk slung on his right that snapped Charity from her near-trance.

In a rush of memories, she recalled the stories of her father’s death under the scalping knife and neighbors who’d suffered the same violent fate. No Indians had been spotted in their settlement since the Shawnee grew hostile and war had erupted nine years ago, but the warfare had ended. Hadn’t it?

Clenching ice-cold fingers, she dug her nails into her palms. “What in God’s name are you doing here?” she forced past the dry lump in her throat.

“Watching you.” 

                                           **** 
Second Excerpt from RED BIRD'S SONG:


He slid the musket over his shoulder by a woven strap. A faint smile curved his lips. 

“You wish to go live among the trees? Come with me.”

Instinctively, Charity shied back.

The warrior closed the distance between them and extended a corded arm circled with twin bands of silver. His voice went from butter to grit. “Now.”

Musket shots cracked above the rapid water. War whoops rang through the trees. Charity scrambled back with a shriek.

He lunged at her. Jerked fully to life, she flung the basket at his chest and spun around. Catching up her skirts, she raced over the uneven ground along the river.

She had only the hair of a head start, but by heaven she could run. Hadn’t her brother, Craig, said as much?
Clinging to his praise, she tore through grass heavy with seed heads. The slap of her shoes and swish of her petticoats sounded alongside the rapid water. She sensed but didn’t hear the warrior’s stealthy pursuit. 

Dodging rocks masked by the haze, she hurtled across downed branches, risking a nasty fall. But what did that matter with the hound of hell snapping at her heels?

Faster! Heart pounding in her ears, she leapt over a moss-encrusted log and stumbled. Grabbing a bent sapling for support, she righted herself and sprang away through a blur of color. Her chest thudded. She could scarcely get her breath and shot a glance over her shoulder.

Lord, no! Her pursuer’s glove-like moccasins had the advantage over her square-toed shoes, as did his ground-covering strides. He rapidly narrowed the gap between them. God save her or she’d be killed and scalped like her father.

Summoning every ounce of speed, she spurted ahead, sides heaving, pain stabbing her chest. She flew around a bend in the river and stopped short. A prickly tangle of burdock and brambles blocked the path. She looked wildly around. No way through.
 
Shooting to the side, she clamored up the bank. Down she went, sliding over loose stones,lurching forward with outstretched hands and scraping her palms. 

She ignored the sting and scrambled up to pelt through tall grass and spikes of mullein. If she hid among the stand of cedars just ahead, he might not find—-too late. 

He’d come.
 
                       ****
 
For more on the story behind Red Bird's Song~

RED BIRD'S SONG is available in digital download and print from
The Wild Rose Press & Amazon, Barnes & Noble and will travel on to other online booksellers.  Local bookstores can order it in.

42 comments

  1. Autumn Jordon // September 10, 2010 at 7:35 AM  

    Beth, This story sounds so great and the pictures are awesome! I love the line, 'His voice went from butter to grit.' YUM

    Tell us, where do you do most of your research? The web, local library, etc.

    I so hope I win the novel, but if I don't you know I will buy.

    Congrats on the new release.

    ((Dancing with you))) Let's party. AJ

  2. Beth Trissel // September 10, 2010 at 7:48 AM  

    Thanks Autumn! I'm delighted it's finally out. As to research, in those days (15 yrs ago)much was done in the library. Some in the genealogy room. I also consulted local historians, anthropologists, archeologists, and reenactors who were immensely helpful. A Shawnee language expert and the Shawnee themselves. My resource list is staggering. Our family has some old books and accounts I referred to. After the internet became huge I found some resources online.

  3. Judith Keim // September 10, 2010 at 8:37 AM  

    Wonderful story, Beth! Can't wait to read all of it. Historical romance is wonderful if it's not with the right mix and you've got it!!

  4. Judith Keim // September 10, 2010 at 8:38 AM  

    EEK! Meant to say - if it's done with the right mix... And, yes, I'll say it again, you've done it!!

  5. Anita Clenney // September 10, 2010 at 8:40 AM  

    Congratulations, Beth. The story sounds wonderful and I'm so impressed at your obvious love of research. Not just as a writer, but on a personal level as well.

    I'm part Cherokee. My father was either one quarter or one eighth Cherokee, and I think it's sad that I don't know more about my history. At one time I became obsessed with American Indians, but it was general knowledge, not family history. Some day, I need to trace my family tree.

  6. Beth Trissel // September 10, 2010 at 9:01 AM  

    Thanks Judy. The right mix is a challenge. Very interesting Anita. You should do that.

  7. Barbara Monajem // September 10, 2010 at 9:08 AM  

    Beth, these excepts are gripping! Often, I feel excerpts are too long, but these are just right.

    Question: How did you go about choosing your excerpts? Did you have to edit at all to come up with such short, vivid intros to your story?

  8. Beth Trissel // September 10, 2010 at 9:21 AM  

    Thanks Barbara. :) The first excerpt was chosen by me and my editor. The second excerpt I chose. The only slight alteration I made was to add the characters name if it wasn't in that section. I just tried to think what would be a gripping scene without giving away too much of the story. I stayed in chapter one.

  9. Mona Risk // September 10, 2010 at 10:07 AM  

    CONGRATULATIONS Beth. Judging from the two excerpts, you have a winner here. Beautiful writing and excellent show of action and emotion. Usually, Native American is not my genre, but this book sounds so good I definitely want to read it.

  10. Beth Trissel // September 10, 2010 at 10:20 AM  

    Thanks Mona. That means a lot.

  11. Connie Gillam // September 10, 2010 at 10:38 AM  

    Sounds like a great read, Beth.

    I also have a fascination with Native American history. I'm trying to whip a manuscript of mine into shape that has a Sioux main character.

    Keep up the great writing.

  12. Beth Trissel // September 10, 2010 at 10:45 AM  

    Thanks so much Connie. Sounds good. Most authors that write Native American settings choose the West as you are doing by featuring a Sioux Indian, and while I find that interesting too, my fascination has always been with Eastern Woodland Indians who figured so prominently in our country's early history and my ancestors.

  13. Mary Marvella // September 10, 2010 at 11:03 AM  

    Party day! Yay!!!!!

    Loved the excerpt, Beth! Your writing is so lush!

  14. Lexi // September 10, 2010 at 11:46 AM  

    Happy release day, Beth! The story sounds GREAT! Good luck with it!

  15. Beth Trissel // September 10, 2010 at 11:56 AM  

    Thanks Mama Mary and Lexi for stopping by.

  16. Keena Kincaid // September 10, 2010 at 12:33 PM  

    Beth,
    The story sounds fabulous, and I love your hero's opening line. What a heart-stopping way for the hero and heroine to meet. Wishing you many sales.

    Keena

  17. Mary Ricksen // September 10, 2010 at 12:57 PM  

    I love the excerpt Beth, there is nothing like a good story involving the American Indian, no matter what tribe. I have always admired their commitment to the earth.
    The pics you picked to represent the H/H are wonderful.
    I'll take him home with me!
    Great sales, but, you have such a great story to sell, and with your following, you will make a killing!

  18. Nightingale // September 10, 2010 at 1:28 PM  

    Excellent excerpt. I can't wait to read the book. Congratulations on your great new release, Beth.

  19. Beth Trissel // September 10, 2010 at 1:29 PM  

    Thanks Keena and Mary. I hope.

  20. Linda Banche // September 10, 2010 at 1:33 PM  

    Congrats, Beth. Happy Release Day!

  21. Cathie Dunn // September 10, 2010 at 1:34 PM  

    Many congrats on your latest release, Beth. Can't wait to read it. Love the excerpts - they draw you immediately into the setting. Great, vibrant writing, as always. :-)

    I've been fascinated by Native American history since my school days and hope to explore some aspects on my first trip to the US later this year. Fingers crossed.

    Best wishes with your new book. It's on my list.

    Cathie x

  22. Denise Golinowski // September 10, 2010 at 1:54 PM  

    Happy Release Day, Beth! And I thoroughly enjoyed the excerpts! Fascinating stuff. Congrats on getting the story of your heart published! Having that connection to your ancestors expanded into your book is a gift indeed. Here's to a great success!

  23. Nancy Lee Badger // September 10, 2010 at 1:59 PM  

    Sexy pictures, scary excerpts, I can smell her fear and the trees. Good luch with this release!

  24. Beth Trissel // September 10, 2010 at 2:20 PM  

    Thanks so much. :)

  25. Paisley Kirkpatrick // September 10, 2010 at 3:04 PM  

    Congrats on your new release and may you have lots of sales. I like to hear it is the story of your heart because, in my humble opinion, those are the ones that might make writing magic.

  26. Beth Trissel // September 10, 2010 at 3:38 PM  

    That is so true Paisley.

  27. Josie // September 10, 2010 at 4:16 PM  

    Hurray, Beth! What a wonderful day for you. Sounds like a wonderful story. Major congrats!

  28. Pamela Varnado // September 10, 2010 at 4:52 PM  

    Hey Beth, congratulations on the new release. I can't wait to read the story. Your excerpt captured my attention. And like Autumn, I love the line "His voice went from butter to grit.' It's as eye-catching a phrase as something Nora Roberts would write.

  29. Lizzie // September 10, 2010 at 7:11 PM  

    Congratulations, Beth and thanks for sharing the excerpt and all those great pictures.

    Lizzie

  30. Beth Trissel // September 10, 2010 at 7:55 PM  

    Thanks so much to everyone for sharing my special release day with me.

  31. Scarlet Pumpernickel // September 10, 2010 at 8:10 PM  

    Definitely party time! Congrats Beth, this is another story I'll be adding to my ereader. I love your Native American stores.

    Now, back to the party! Bubblie all around, oh, who brought the lovely streamers? And is that popcorn I smell? Don't you just love a launch party? MM, watch out, dancing on the table can be dangerous. Beth, we're going to party into the wee hours in your honor! Party y'all!

  32. Mary Marvella // September 10, 2010 at 8:23 PM  

    I like dancing on the table!

  33. Beth Trissel // September 10, 2010 at 8:40 PM  

    That's the talk Scarlet, love the dancing Mary :))))

  34. Stacey // September 10, 2010 at 10:16 PM  

    Beth,
    Congrats on Red Bird's Song! Can't wait to read it. Sorry, I missed the party. :)

  35. Donnell Ann Bell // September 10, 2010 at 10:34 PM  

    Beth, what a wonderful story. Loved the excerpts and I love the conflict... I mean seriously... how does one get past the fact that an Indian scalped her father. Gotta buy this book to find out. Thanks for the tease!!! Congrats and Happy Release Day!

  36. Beth Trissel // September 10, 2010 at 11:09 PM  

    Thanks to all, and to all a goodnight. I will announce winners sometime over the weekend. How's that for exact?

  37. Scarlet Pumpernickel // September 11, 2010 at 12:13 AM  

    MM still dancing on table and somehow found a male model who matches the one from Beth's cover! MM, be gentle with him! Another bottle of bubblie has joined the chocolate and pretzels! Great party Fuzzies, Party on!

  38. Helene Young // September 11, 2010 at 2:34 AM  

    Congratulations, Beth! The cover looks fabulous and the story sounds like a wonderful read!! Enjoy release day :-)

  39. Dana // September 11, 2010 at 10:03 AM  

    Sorry I missed it. Happy release day Beth!!! Can't wait to read it.

  40. Beth Trissel // September 11, 2010 at 9:23 PM  

    Announcing my contest winners~
    Thanks go everyone who helped me celebrate my new release :)

    Donnell: Won the print book of Red Bird's Song

    Cathie Dunn: Won the ebook of Red Bird's Song

  41. Lisa Marie Wilkinson // September 12, 2010 at 12:02 AM  

    Beth,
    Congratulations on your new release! The book looks wonderful, and I love Native American stories, so I will want to read this one!

  42. Beth Trissel // September 12, 2010 at 11:56 PM  

    Thanks much Lisa!