My New Puppy

Posted by Mary Ricksen | 12:01 AM | , , , , , , , , , | 31 comments »

Pets

This is exactly what Nibby looks like, hey it's better then Knuckles. That's what DH wanted to call her.

Recently my dog Junior had to be put to sleep. We have a wonderful Veterinarian, he cried right along with us.

I need a dog to hug so it didn't take long before we got Nibby. She is a German Shepherd dog and was born on May 20th. We got her when she was nine weeks old.

The very first day we brought her home she was nervous and afraid. She didn't even know what a dog toy was. She spent the night in my arms, shaking and looking all around. That night she slept in my bed, with a few dog chews and toys surrounding her.

In the morning there was a fantastic change in her. She got it! The toys were her's and the toybox was full!
Dog chews were for chewing and canned food was for dogs to eat. She'd never had anything but dry food and since she had diarrhea the doctor gave her special canned food. She went crazy. Life was fun!

Then her new cousin BoBo came over to visit. Soon they were running around like maniacs. It's funny how BoBo, who is full grown, plays so gentle, while little Nibby plays so rough. An adult dog just knows what a baby is and they exhausted each other. Out she went. Sound asleep.

Pets

So Nibby has grown quite a bit she is now three months old. I find little puffs of her cottony fur all over the place. Although there is a tiny patch of adult fur on the middle of her tail. So I can tell what her fur is going to end up like. Shiny!

I think she is pretty well house trained as she has never pooped inside and has peed inside for over a week.
How did I get so lucky? She only ate one old shoe and hasn't chewed on any furniture.or anything other then what she is supposed to. There are dog chews and toys everywhere. I put them away, she takes them out.
Very cute doggie.

Well at three months she is now pushing the limit. What can I get away with? What do you mean stay? What are you guys eating, gimme some! A lot of training will have to be done in the very near future.
Her sudden bursts of energy is amazing. Getting up to let her out is tiring. Yes, the DH who promised to help does not help at night. He'll pay for that!

Nibby has discovered how to bark when she wants my attention. She knows a lot of human phrases, Like do pee pee, thank goodness for that one. She knows what are you hungry means, go get the ball, sit, down and give me your  paw. The staying is intermittent and she needs work. She is such a handful, but when she lays her little head on my neck and puts her paws up to hug me. And wonders of wonders, her ears are up. Stay tuned for the further escapades of Nibby. Growing up for a puppy,
. I promise to take some real pictures for my next post about My New Puppy.

31 comments

  1. Barbara Monajem // August 30, 2010 at 7:57 AM  

    Sweet! I can't wait to see the pictures. My daughter's dog, which I babysit a lot, looks like one of the dogs on the postage stamps.

  2. Judith Keim // August 30, 2010 at 8:51 AM  

    I'm a big dog lover, so I know what sadness you experienced with Junior and I'm so happy for you that you have Nibby now. But it's not easy having a puppy!! Good luck with everything. I know she'll be a wonderful dog for years to come!

  3. Mary Ricksen // August 30, 2010 at 1:13 PM  

    Thanks for commenting!
    She is very sweet.
    Junior will be missed...a lot.

  4. Collette Thomas // August 30, 2010 at 1:46 PM  

    Thanks for sharing! Last August I got a new puppy as well and when I brought her home I said to myself, what did I do? My whole life changed in that moment. I did not know what to do with her. You see my granddaughter "convinced" me to get her. No way was this pup going to sleep in my bedroom let alone on my bed. I need my beauty sleep. A year later I came home last night looking for Sugar. I put her blankie on the bed, her favorite chew toys, slipped beneath the covers, and in no time the two of us (Sugar and me) were sound asleep. Go figure. I'm now thinking of adding some Spice to go along with Sugar who is a PeekaPoo.
    Collette Thomas

  5. Beth Trissel // August 30, 2010 at 1:49 PM  

    Darling. I hear you, Mary. We have four dogs. Two outside farm dogs and two inside dogs. Quite a pack. Puppies are cute but a handful. Our last two dogs arrived as rescues and were adults. Still take some training.
    Nibby sounds like she will be a loyal friend and great member of the family.

  6. Mona Risk // August 30, 2010 at 2:09 PM  

    Nibby is so cute. Enjoy him Mary.

    The only dog we ever had was a German Sheperd who came to our house at 6 weeks and very sick. We treated, cured and adopted him. My daughter only two at the time rode him like a pony and he ran around the house with her on his back. Rino was so loyal to the children. He protected them and bit any one who came too close to them. He also got us into a lot of trouble with the neighbors. We gave him up to the police when he was two and a half years old. We had a day of mourning after he left us.

  7. sue fineman // August 30, 2010 at 2:19 PM  

    So sorry you lost your beloved pet, but what a cute puppy you have now! Our veterinarian daughter suggested we get a dog from a rescue organization, so we did. Sadie had been used for breeding, she was starving, had rotten teeth, and was terrified of everything, but she's turned out to be a sweet little dog who gives a lot of love.

  8. Jannine Gallant // August 30, 2010 at 2:37 PM  

    Puppies are adorable! Mine is a little over a year now, and I'm enjoying the fact that she listens better (sometimes) and doesn't wake me up in the night. The husband and kids say they'll help with the dog - if you believe that I have some swamp land for sale... Have fun with your new addition!

  9. Karen Michelle Nutt // August 30, 2010 at 2:52 PM  

    I can't wait to see the real pictures. I love puppies. Dog lover here. I have four.

    Thanks for sharing your new joy.

  10. Mary Ricksen // August 30, 2010 at 2:56 PM  

    Coleen, I love PeekAPoo's they are so cute and they don't shed!
    Yep they take right over.
    Beth I wish I lived where you live!
    Mona, sorry about your dog. That is so sad.
    Sue, what you have is one very lucky dog!
    Jannine, I am such a sucker. I believed he'd help! Well, she likes me best!

  11. Mary Ricksen // August 30, 2010 at 2:56 PM  
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  12. Mary Ricksen // August 30, 2010 at 2:58 PM  

    Karen, I knew you had to be a dog lover too!

  13. Bonnie Vanak // August 30, 2010 at 2:58 PM  

    awwww, Nibby is a great name! I'm so glad you got a new puppy Mary. Best of luck with the lil darling!

  14. Mary Ricksen // August 30, 2010 at 3:09 PM  

    I love doggies just like you Bonnie. Thanks for stopping by.

  15. Nightingale // August 30, 2010 at 5:18 PM  

    What an adorable puppy and I loved your post about her learning how to love and be loved.

  16. Mary Marvella // August 30, 2010 at 5:52 PM  

    Awww, Mary R. Your post reminded me of the years my family had dogs, most of my childhood and beyond. My first granny days with my daughter's boys were fun and sweet. I adore the guys.

  17. Pamela Varnado // August 30, 2010 at 6:06 PM  

    How cute! I'm glad Nibby adds joy to your life. And I love her name. It shows personality. My grandsons wanted to name my dog, Lily, Snickers at fist, but thankfully I talked them out of it.

  18. Josie // August 30, 2010 at 6:21 PM  

    Oh Mary, your new puppy is adorable. And so smart! Hope you enjoy every minute with Nibby.

  19. Carol Stephenson // August 30, 2010 at 6:48 PM  

    Mary, congratulations on your new fur baby!!!!! I can't wait to see actual photos of Nibby!

  20. Mary Ricksen // August 30, 2010 at 6:52 PM  

    Joanne, Pam and our own Mary M, thank you for commenting. She is a joy in a series of nightmares. God gave us puppies to cheer us up, and teach us humility'
    Nibby, does reflect her personality Pam, she nibbles on me all the time.
    Linda, you know I had to have her, she takes Juniors place in no way. She has her own place.
    Just like my other five doggies and one cat that are waiting for me over the Rainbow Bridge, (if I'm good).

  21. Mary Ricksen // August 30, 2010 at 6:53 PM  

    Me too Carol! DH is trying to use a new camera without reading the instructions. Ahem. It may be a day or two.

  22. Alyssa Maxwell // August 30, 2010 at 8:28 PM  

    Nibby is a lucky little puppy, she's sure to be loved and spoiled!

  23. Mary Ricksen // August 30, 2010 at 10:06 PM  

    Allison thanks :0)

  24. P.L. Parker // August 30, 2010 at 11:00 PM  

    Oh I love this, Mary. I'm a dog lover and I love everything about dogs.

  25. Marie-Nicole Ryan // August 31, 2010 at 12:29 PM  

    I'm a total dog person so I loved your post about the Nibster. Sounds like you've done a good job already.

  26. Unknown // August 31, 2010 at 1:23 PM  

    Ahhh, Mary, what a sweet story. I'm sorry about your other one, but there are many puppies in the world waiting for someone like you.
    I like his name--yes, infinitely better than Knuckles. Keep us posted! Celia

  27. Toni V.S. // August 31, 2010 at 4:30 PM  

    A wonderful blog, Mary. Love those li'l doggies. (and they love us!)

  28. Hywela Lyn // September 1, 2010 at 7:20 AM  

    Sorry to come here late again Mary (as usual)>

    I know how devasted you were to lose Junior (been there several time myself) but there's always a furbaby out there waiting to be loved, as you say, not taking the place of the one who's passed, but finding his or her own place, as my own little rescue, Bouncer, has.

    Nibbie is a real cutie, Mary, and she couldn't wish for a better home!

  29. Scarlet Pumpernickel // September 1, 2010 at 8:46 PM  

    Mary, I am so happy for you. Puppies are wonderful. I love their energy and playfulness. They are full of love and adventure. Enjoy your new friend.

  30. Mary Ricksen // September 2, 2010 at 2:56 PM  

    Thanks everyone! Nibby is getting almost too heavy to pick up.
    She wants my shoes really bad.(to chew on). Stinker.

  31. Autumn Jordon // September 2, 2010 at 11:13 PM  

    OMG. He is so cute! I want to cuddle too. Lucky you.