Today is the first day of school in my area. Last night, as I talked to my grandson, I heard the excitement in his voice. His tomorrow was going to be filled with new adventures; a ride on the big yellow school bus—#18 no less—, meeting new friends and playing on the monkey bars at recess. I could imagine the sparkle in his eyes with such clarity while he chattered. I remember the burning excitement that had ran through my veins on the last night of my summer vacation.

This morning, while I thought about what I would write for this blog, I connected the dots between the emotions Michael evoked in me and who I am today. I think we’ll all admit at times school wasn’t always the most exciting adventure and during our formative education years we longed for the day when the information overload would end. How stupid were we?

We started learning the moment we were born and will continue to do so until we take our last breath. Yes, there are those who resist the urge to learn, but the majority of us thirst for knowledge. We find fields of interest and gladly roll up our sleeves and open our minds and take in every possible bit of information that relates to it.

I do wonder at what magical second in my life the craft of writing became my field of interest? Was it the moment my mother read the end of a storybook? Or after I scribbled my first coherent sentence? Maybe when I walked into my school library and marveled at the endless shelves of book, all available to me? Or did the interest bug bite me after I’d read the one book I still remember from those wonder years? Maybe it was a combination of all those experiences that planted the seed of desire in my soul.

I’m excited for my grandson because his moment is going to happen and when it does, wondrous doors will open.

So, do remember the moment that changed your life?

12 comments

  1. Beth Trissel // August 25, 2010 at 11:48 AM  

    Amen Autumn, well said. My grandson was thrilled by his first day of Kindergarten yesterday. My wee niece was put out that she didn't come home knowing how to read. :) She's been told she'll learn to read in school.

  2. Pamela Varnado // August 25, 2010 at 12:05 PM  

    I had the opportunity to share my grandson's first day of Kindergarten with him while my daughter was deployed in Afghanistan. I think I was more excited than Triston. He didn't fully understand it, but a new chapter in his life had just started. The world was opening up to him. He's in the second grade now and back with mamma. Boy, does he love reading. When we talk over the phone he tells me about all the books he's read.

    My heart smiles when I remember the sweet little boy who entered bus #23 with an expression of both anxiousness and pleasure.

    Autumn, thanks for evoking such a wonderful memory in me. You've made my day!

  3. Nightingale // August 25, 2010 at 1:58 PM  

    I lived school starting vicariously through a friend who has a first grader. The moment? I read The Vampire Lestat and thought I think I'd like to start writing again after I had put my pen down at 20.

  4. Autumn Jordon // August 25, 2010 at 2:20 PM  

    LOL. That is so sweet, Beth. I bet she is going to go far. It sounds like she has goals already.

    Pam, That is adorable. I have pictures of all my children as they left for school on the first day, with smiling faces. Everytime they crumbled later in years about going, I remember the days. I'm so glad he likes to read.

    Good for you, Nightgale. I've heard many writers say they didn't think about doing so until later in life. I'm so glad they did too.

  5. Judith Keim // August 25, 2010 at 3:21 PM  

    As some of you may know, in addition to writing women's fiction, I write children's stories - middle-grade novels. Writing children's stories is difficult because you have to place yourself back in time and remember all the details, all the emotions of that time, as you experienced through your grandson. It is both fun and exhilerating!

  6. Mona Risk // August 25, 2010 at 3:27 PM  

    I am all excited because my granddaughter Olivia is starting first grade on Sept 7. My daughter said she will send pictures.

    I decided to write a book when I had so many adventures in Belarus. I shared them with my mother. She laughed so much and told me I should write a book with all my stories.

  7. Autumn Jordon // August 25, 2010 at 3:33 PM  

    Judy, That does sound like fun. I often thought I should've worked on a YA while my children were in JR-SR high. I'm sure a lot has changed. How do you keep abreast of it all?

  8. Autumn Jordon // August 25, 2010 at 3:35 PM  

    Mona, That is priceless. You've certainly traveled all over. I envy you.

  9. Author Roast and Toast // August 25, 2010 at 7:18 PM  

    All I can picture is my mother dragging all of us to buy school clothes and searching for my sister that would hide behind the clothing racks the minute you hit the store.
    I have no idea how my mom managed six kids. I can't handle my DH let alone six kids.
    When I read Madly Truly Viking, I thought I can do that, so I did!

  10. Autumn Jordon // August 25, 2010 at 8:03 PM  

    LOL, Mary. You always add a fresh POV. I remember those days. I tied a ballon to my kids to keep from losing them in the racks.

  11. Mary Marvella // August 25, 2010 at 10:25 PM  

    I remember crying because I couldn't go to school with chicken pox. (funny my daughter did the same thing but she missed the first grade Christmas party at school)

    I loved school. My first grade teacher read to us every day. I felt so grown when I read that same book by myself in the second grade. I've loved to read for as long as I can remember.

    Mama said I would stand in the front of the bus on the way to town and sing or tell everyone stories from the time I was three or so.

    We had one family car and mama didn't drive.

  12. Autumn Jordon // August 26, 2010 at 7:55 AM  

    Great memories, Mary. I loved that you felt so grown up.