Flying First Class

Posted by Nightingale | 9:58 AM | 14 comments »


Again, it’s early morning and sleep has forsaken me. I have an hour to write before I hustle to the office and another 8 hour day. Work crowds my real passion, writing, to the back burner until the weekends which I treasure with my characters—and occasionally a bit of fun in the real world! (I try to limit the real world to weekdays)

I’ve just been on a marvelous journey.

My Ex-husband gave me points on Continental to fly to Manchester, England to visit my son and his growing family. Ian married an English woman, and they have two children. I had to learn to be a child person again and after 12 days I returned home whipped! Since the Ex travels for work, he is Gold Status with Continental and I got to fly First Class (or Business Class which is printed on the zipper bag they gave me, containing ear plugs, toothpaste, a blindfold, hand wipes (they bring round hot towels). My stay in England was heartwarming, fun and definitely worth a blog of its own.

This blog is about flying First Class. Maybe you do this as a regular occurrence. To me, it was SPECIAL class.

On the flight to Manchester, I languished in a second row seat with my blankie and pillow. The steward appeared with a menu for dinner and a request for a drink order. I glanced at the selection and ordered a Bombay Sterling and tonic. Whisk. The cocktail was on my table tray. Then he served warmed cocktail nuts and ice water.

I was reading Angels & Demons by Dan Brown, and he asked me what I thought of the novel. My impression, which we grinned about, matched his—very like the DaVinci Code. He came back for my dinner request, and I asked if he’d seen Clash of the Titans. He said it was fun, so I watched the action film on the screen that pulled up from my right armrest. This isn’t a review, but I wasn’t impressed with the movie.

For dinner I enjoyed Sea Bass & Lobster bouillabaisse with white wine. After dinner, I had ice cream with strawberries then cheese with Grand Marnier. I probably sound very provincial but I’m 5’9” and I could extend my legs. The seats recline to almost vertical and there is a footrest. I would have slept on the flight but I was having way too much fun. My steward came back to ask me again and again if I needed anything. Another drink? Yep. Nope.

The return flight wasn’t quite as enchanting (as I didn’t have my own private Steward) but I did begin with a Mimosa served with warmed nuts. Dinner was a steak with new potatoes. I was pleasantly surprised that the beef wasn’t overdone.
I wanted to share an experience I’m not likely to repeat until I’m rich and famous. Or I win the lottery—and I never buy tickets.

The sun is peaking over the horizon, and my eyes are sinking half-mast. In fifteen minutes, I have to fling myself into the shower for the beginning of a Tuesday.

I’m flying first class to work in my Z3. One guy, when I had my top back, shouted that he liked my license plate, “Z3PO.”
PS The handsome devil has nothing to do with this post. He's a shameless attention getter!

14 comments

  1. Patrice // August 7, 2010 at 12:19 PM  

    Sounds wonderful, Linda, and you so obviously appreciated it. When I was married to a CEO, we lived internationally and often traveled first class, but with the divorce I came back to the real world, no more first class for me! Still, I have many happy memories. Glad you enjoyed your holiday with your family!

  2. Mary Marvella // August 7, 2010 at 1:07 PM  

    I love shameless attention getters. Your flight sounds like a dream. I've never had that experience but I'm glad you did.

    Welcome home. We want way more grandma details!

  3. Nightingale // August 7, 2010 at 2:36 PM  

    I doubt that I'll get to repeat my dream flight, but it is, as you say Patrice, a happy memory.

    Mary, I wish I could have gone to RWA with you!

  4. Josie // August 7, 2010 at 7:23 PM  

    What a fabulous time you must have had in England, Linda. Visiting your son and his family must have been wonderful. I've never flown first-class, because I'm such a bargain hunter. Maybe some day...

  5. Judith Keim // August 8, 2010 at 8:59 AM  

    I"m glad you had such a wonderful trip and such great service. It doesn't always happen! I ride in the back of the bus and in the front, depending on what mileage we have and how short a notice we get to visit our kids in Seattle. First class is always better!! Haha!

  6. Nightingale // August 8, 2010 at 11:21 AM  

    I am usually in the coach class. This was a special treat. I did have a wonderful time in England with my 2 gorgeous grandchildren. That's a blog for another day!

  7. Barbara Monajem // August 8, 2010 at 12:11 PM  

    I flew business class once on British Airways and just loved it. Lucky you! (BTW your shameless attention-getter worked very well.)

  8. Beth Trissel // August 8, 2010 at 4:02 PM  

    Wow Linda, how kewl is that? New to me for sure. I enjoyed your post. :)

  9. Autumn Jordon // August 8, 2010 at 4:59 PM  

    Oh, now I want to fly first class, especially if your steward looked like the pic you've posted. YUM.

    I wonder what hubby would think if we didn't share the same cabin. LOL

    Thanks for sharing, Linda. I'm green with envy.

  10. Toni V.S. // August 8, 2010 at 6:31 PM  

    An enviable blog, Linda! Really enjoyed it and the picture, too! Skivvies never looked so good!

  11. Toni V.S. // August 8, 2010 at 6:32 PM  

    An enviable blog, Linda! Really enjoyed it and the picture, too! Skivvies never looked so good!

  12. Scarlet Pumpernickel // August 9, 2010 at 8:53 PM  

    Linda, I've never had the pleasure of flying first class. I've got that to look forward to and hope one day I'll be able to try it. Sounds like you had a great time. It will be good research for one of your stories. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

  13. Pamela Varnado // August 10, 2010 at 9:30 AM  

    Linda, I've always wanted to fly first class. Warm hand towels and plenty of leg room sound lovely. Maybe I'll treat myself one day. Oh, and your attention-getter got my attention!

  14. Mary Ricksen // August 10, 2010 at 2:13 PM  

    Just got back on line. I am so glad you had a great flight, but we've yet to hear about your visit!!
    Welcome home my friend.