More about RWA National 2010.

A room that will allow 2,000 women to eat in an elegant sit down dinner has to be huge. I took this photo 1/3 of the way from the front. Tables covered twice as much room behind me. You can see the tiny stage if you squint.
The red haired woman on the screen is Angi Morgan, a newly published author who won a Rita award. (Many of us would almost kill for one. Ask Beth or Autumn about the Golden Heart for unpublished authors.


Conference food can be interesting, but this is the first RWA National conference where the same meat was served every meal. I like chicken, I really do. Imagine our surprise when each meal had the same baked chicken, (little baked chicken quarters). I wondered who got the rest of the chickens. Each time there was a different sauce for the chicken and slightly different vegetables. Imagine feeding 2000 people for each meal. The service was smooth as the desserts, though.


At RWA we have our big awards ceremony and some of us dress as though we were attending the Academy Awards or at least a big party. This year we had a sit down dinner.



I found Mona and two other VIPS. Yep, I ate with the president and the president elect of The Kiss of Death Chapter for the Rita and Golden Heart Award Dinner.

I'd have put more photos below, but I can't make that work. You might get another post or two with photos.

16 comments

  1. Judith Keim // August 19, 2010 at 9:05 AM  

    Thanks, Mary! It's always fun to see the pictures of the conference and yes, indeed, you were among the very important people!

  2. Mary Ricksen // August 19, 2010 at 1:48 PM  

    You were the VIP at the table as far as I'm concerned!
    What I love about authors is that they are so down to earth and friendly, whether a VIP or just a plain ole aspiring author.
    I'm glad you had a good time. Thank Goodness you like chicken.
    Love the pics keep more coming. This way I can feel sorry for myself as I see what I missed. :0) Someday!!

  3. Beth Trissel // August 19, 2010 at 5:36 PM  

    I agree, a lot of fun to see more pics and hear more stories about the conference. Authors are good people, especially romance authors. :)

  4. Mary Marvella // August 19, 2010 at 6:36 PM  

    Evening, Judy! I love sharing the photos.

  5. Mary Marvella // August 19, 2010 at 6:38 PM  

    Why thanks you, Mary R. You always make me feel important.

    Yes, romance writers rock, especially the big stars. They encourage and they share.

  6. Mary Marvella // August 19, 2010 at 6:38 PM  

    You said it well, Beth. I do have more photos.

  7. Barbara Monajem // August 19, 2010 at 8:39 PM  

    I'm glad you took photos, Mary. My camera never got out of my backpack!

  8. Autumn Jordon // August 19, 2010 at 9:36 PM  

    I love looking at these, Mary. Please post more. I sure am going next year, even if I have to sell books on the street corner to get there.

  9. Mary Marvella // August 19, 2010 at 10:50 PM  

    Barbara, I'll share, if you want copies of my photos.

  10. Mary Marvella // August 19, 2010 at 10:53 PM  

    I'll help you sell them! Next year we'll have our own Pink Fuzzy Slipper Writer name tags. Save your regular clear tags, so we can slide photos into them, unless I figure a better way. I have small prints to use.

  11. Pamela Varnado // August 20, 2010 at 2:43 AM  

    Mary, thanks for sharing a little piece of the conference with us. I couldn't attend, but I'm glad to have the opportunity to experience it through your wonderful photos.

  12. Mary Marvella // August 20, 2010 at 12:12 PM  

    Glad you liked the photos, Pam. I enjoyed taking them. Next year you'll be with us.

  13. Scarlet Pumpernickel // August 21, 2010 at 5:02 PM  

    I have it on very good authority that the President and President-Elect were thrilled to enjoy the Awards Banquet with the infamous MM!

  14. Scarlet Pumpernickel // August 21, 2010 at 10:40 PM  

    I thought the food was very good for conference/hotel food. Didn't mind the chicken, it's a favorite of mine and the different sauce kept it interesting. I am still looking for the tiny squashes! They were soooooooooooo good. Haven't been able to find them in my neck of the woods. The hotels were nice and all the food we tried was very good. The Italian Restaurant at the Swan was fabulous.

  15. Nightingale // August 23, 2010 at 10:21 AM  

    What I'd like to know is if the awards dinner served the same chicken too? You girls look really nice all dressed up.

  16. Josie // August 23, 2010 at 1:10 PM  

    Mary,
    Keep bringing on the pictures. For those of us who were not able to attend Nationals this year, your blog is a treat.