Writing through the blues

Posted by Patrice Wilton | 12:28 PM | 12 comments »

Hi everyone,
I'm not on the top of my game right now - Sicker than a dog last night, and until a moment ago I forgot that I was to blog. So here it is. Please bear with me.
I published two books from small press two years ago, and I've written three books since that haven't been picked up. I have not tried the e-publishers, because that is not what I'm writing for. I want New York. I want to see my book in a book store. One of our gals has been feeling down from a recent rejection, and I understand all too well. This is a miserable time in the publishing industry, and trying to get into the big houses, well, I don't know what it takes. I know about luck, I know about perserverence, I know that we never fail until the moment we give up, but after fifteen or more years of writing, I'm taking a break. I'm burned out for now. It's so hard to keep writing, believing, living the dream when all you get are lovely rejections. Mine are so wonderful I've kept them, just so when I feel really bad and wonder why they aren't buying, I can refresh my memory and know that they really did like my writing, my characters, my plot. They just didn't buy. I'm in a dark place right now, but one contract would make the world sunny and bright again. I did send one of my three books off to Carina Press, and if they buy it, it will give me something positive to hold on to. The only problem is that they are digital only. No book. No signings, no one will ever hold it, or see it. But at least, it will be put out in the world for people to read and to laugh, and to love, and I guess that is why we all write. It sure isn't for the money! LOL.
Your thoughts, please?

12 comments

  1. Judith Keim // February 13, 2010 at 1:05 PM  

    Patrice, I understand your feelings all too well. Go ahead, take a break but make it short. Come back with renewed energy, renewed spirits. Then look at the three books and see how you can make them better. You're much too close to give up now. You can do it!!!

  2. Joelle Charbonneau // February 13, 2010 at 1:35 PM  

    I agree with Judy. Giving yourself permission to take a break is important. You can still set goals during that time, but those goals can be to read several books or to go to the movies. When you start to feel that need to write and start submitting again - that's the time to do it.

    Rejections are the hardest and loniest part of this business. Just remember you are always amongst friends....and we are happy to brainstorm with you about when and where to send out your book when you are ready to do so again.

  3. Patrice Wilton // February 13, 2010 at 2:00 PM  

    Hi Judy, and Joelle,
    Yes, I need this break as I was very stressed out finishing up my last book, which my agent is reading this weekend. I do have a second follow up book planned and will start sometime in April. Until then, I might try to see if someone, someplace will buy my Women Fiction. But it breaks my heart to give them away.

  4. Josie // February 13, 2010 at 3:14 PM  

    Patrice,
    Give yourself a break,if you'd like. As Joelle mentioned, rejections are so hard in this business. At least you have an agent who believes in your work.

  5. Nightingale // February 13, 2010 at 3:18 PM  

    I'm right there with with Patrice. I want NY too and a book to hold and to sign, but as you said, the publishing industry is hurting. I was thinking this morning that I wanted my favorite hero out there for others to know but it just isn't happening. Maybe a sunnier day will be coming our way.

  6. Mary Marvella // February 13, 2010 at 4:03 PM  

    I'm jumping in the fray, too. HUGS to Patrice, and Linda, and Scarlet, and Pam, and everyone else who has a recent rejection.

    Patrice and Linda, sometimes editing an old WIP by adding sensory details, pumping up emotion, or playing with "the right" words in an analytical way can help you move back into writing gently.

    I'm ready to stop licking my wounds and send stuff out again! I've had "good" rejections and "dear author" rejections. I have a "strong voice" and "writing that just didn't grab" the agent or editor.

    The thing is, I have stories to tell and I'll keep telling them, even if i never sell. Oh, I got rejected by the only epublisher I tried.

  7. Patrice Wilton // February 13, 2010 at 5:25 PM  

    Yes, none of us are alone in this miserable economy, and since we love to write, I guess we don't have any choice but to keep doing it, and hope that some good luck comes our way.
    I'm wishing it for every one of us!

  8. Beth Trissel // February 13, 2010 at 6:30 PM  

    Bummer Patrice.

  9. Mary Ricksen // February 13, 2010 at 7:04 PM  

    You're just having a bad time of it for awhile. We all go through it, for whatever the reason. Patrice, like they say, take a break. But don give up, cause it could be right around the corner and if you quit you miss it! Miss you Patrice !!

  10. Pamela Varnado // February 13, 2010 at 7:23 PM  

    Patrice, I feel your pain. As writers we invest so much in our writing that it hurts on a personal level when no one seems to appreciate it. I've been at his for seven years and quitting is my first reaction whenever I get a rejection letter. It's okay to take a break, but remember your dream. It takes hard work and perservance to get published. So call a few friends and share your dissappointment with them, then get back to work. And tell yourself that you're
    going to get published against all the odds. You can do it.

  11. Autumn Jordon // February 13, 2010 at 9:05 PM  

    Patrice, I'm sorry you're feeling down, but remember you're so much further then many others. Take a step back if you need to, but come back soon

  12. Scarlet Pumpernickel // February 13, 2010 at 11:58 PM  

    Patrice, take a deep breath, release it slowly and allow the negativity and blues to float away with that breath. R's happen. I hate them, everyone hates them, but if it were easy everyone would be doing it. Writing is hard work and just to have completed three novels marks you as a success. Don't let the R's get you down. Relax for a while, think of other things, read a good book, enjoy for a few. But hurry back, you've got people waiting for you to tell their story and no one can tell it but you!

    Hugs,

    Scarlet--who hates R's