Socked full of nutrients, dandelions should probably be eaten more often than zapped with herbicides.   We’ve been taught to look upon this humble wildflower/weed/herb as a plague in our lawns and flower beds, but perhaps we should have more respect for the much maligned dandelion.

To further that end, I’ve searched out an old Southern recipe for a tasty hot dressing to pour over the tender greens.  It’s essential to gather the leaves quite young or they will be entirely too bitter.  I’m sure you can also use this dressing for other greens too, like watercress and endive.   My mother in law used to make it for dandelion salad and then forgot her recipe.  But I found it~at least it sounds like what I remember more or less.   I’m looking forward to giving it a try.  Will report back.
















For The Salad itself:
4 cups chopped dandelion leaves
3 hard-boiled eggs
3 slices of bacon

For The Hot Dressing:
1 1/2 Tablespoons flour
1 tsp. salt
1 egg
2 Tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 cups milk or water

To Make the Salad:
~Wash and chop dandelion leaves.
Cut bacon in pieces and fry.
Remove bacon from drippings

In a separate bowl, mix together dry ingredients, add egg, vinegar and water or milk.  Stir until well blended.
Cook this mixture  in the bacon drippings until thickened and cool slightly.  Pour over dandelions and mix lightly.  Garnish with sliced eggs and bacon.

*For those of you who, like me, are reluctant to use all that bacon fat in the dressing, I would suggest substituting butter which is actually better for you than margarine.   You could probably even leave the bacon out if you’re vegetarian.  If anyone has any better suggestions or recipes for dandelion salad, please share them. This recipe is taken from the Mennonite Country Cookbook which is about as country as you can get.

9 comments

  1. Mary Ricksen // February 27, 2010 at 4:41 PM  

    Yummy! I even buy them when I see them. And my canary loves them too!
    I've had them mixed with watercress and they were very young and sweet!
    Good stuff!
    The recipe sounds spot on!

  2. Mary Marvella // February 27, 2010 at 6:53 PM  

    Cool. I'll try this. What about the "weed" that looks like strawberries but smaller? Not the larger red clover? Edible or not?

  3. Beth Trissel // February 27, 2010 at 7:47 PM  

    Thanks Mary R. I'm not sure about that weed MM, need to be certain first.

  4. Mary Marvella // February 27, 2010 at 10:16 PM  

    I was told not to eat the tiny strawberry looking thingies. Can't remember why.

  5. Scarlet Pumpernickel // February 27, 2010 at 11:19 PM  

    I've never tried Dandelion Salad, but there are plenty in our yard, LOL! Will have to try it. One way to rid the yard of weeds.

    MM, those are snake berries and no they are not edible!

  6. Mary Marvella // February 28, 2010 at 12:08 AM  

    Good thing I believed the person who told me not to eat 'em!

  7. Judith Keim // February 28, 2010 at 8:20 AM  

    Yum, Beth! I love the idea of a warm dressing on greens. You're right, the greens have to be young and tender. Thanks! Reminds me to go back and look up some of my recipes I haven't used in a while.

  8. Judith Keim // February 28, 2010 at 8:20 AM  

    Yum, Beth! I love the idea of a warm dressing on greens. You're right, the greens have to be young and tender. Thanks! Reminds me to go back and look up some of my recipes I haven't used in a while.

  9. Beth Trissel // February 28, 2010 at 8:38 AM  

    Good think you took heed MM. Judy, I love a warm dressing too but haven't been able to figure out how to do it until I tracked this recipe down. My mother in law went through a huge collection of her recipes and couldn't find it or quite recall how she did it. I wonder if it would also work with something like new beet tops...probably better than MM's poisonous weed thing.