Oh Canada!

Posted by Patrice Wilton | 8:34 AM | 14 comments »

As a bonifide second generation Canadian, Vancouverite no less, it is time for me to speak up with pride. As everyone glued to the television watching the Olympics knows, Vancouver is one of the most beautiful cities in the world--a truly magical place nestled between the Rocky mountains and the Pacific Ocean. I did a little research on Canada so that I can pass on a few interesting facts.

Vancouver is tied with Zurich, Switzerland as having the highest quality of life of any city in the world! Wow - and I left it, 28 years ago. My ex's career took us to many wonderful countries, Australia, England, and the US where I currently live. I still have a sister in Vancouver and some good friends, but don't get out to visit as often as I should.

The border between Canada and the US is 5525 miles, the world's largest border. It's also an hour from Vancouver.

Ninety percent of the population live within a 100 miles of the US border.

Canada is the second largest country in the world - second only to Russia. But it is the 9th most sparsely populated nations in the world.

They have $1. and $2. coins, called loonies and toonies.

Ice hockey is their national sport.

And I love it dearly!

14 comments

  1. Mona Risk // February 24, 2010 at 9:43 AM  

    Patrice, I have been to Vancouver a couple of times. What a beautiful city with so much water around it. You have every right to be proud of your birthplace.

  2. Anonymous // February 24, 2010 at 11:12 AM  

    Patrice, your hometown is indeed beautiful. I've never visited Canada, but would love to one day.

    Melba Moon
    President-Elect KOD

  3. Patrice Wilton // February 24, 2010 at 12:07 PM  

    Thanks Mona and Melba,
    Watching it on TV brings back so many incredible memories, skiing in Whistler before the village was built, and there was only a few hotels and L'Pres, a skiers bar at the bottom of the lift. Also bike rides around Stanley Park, living in my first apartment on Beach Avenue, lunching on Robson St., taking the ferry over to Vancouver Island and sitting on the sun deck feeling as though I were on an ocean liner. What memories.

  4. Barbara Monajem // February 24, 2010 at 12:08 PM  

    Oh, Patrice, you've got me all teary-eyed (as if seeing those beautiful mountains on TV day after day hadn't done it already). I grew up in Vancouver and I'm always a little homesick.

  5. Mary Marvella // February 24, 2010 at 12:18 PM  

    I'll put it on my list of places to visit one day. I was in Montreal many years ago, actually as part of my honeymoon for a Expo'67. Hmmm, maybe Melba will take a road trip with me.

  6. Patrice Wilton // February 24, 2010 at 12:24 PM  

    Barbara, What a small world. So you're from Vancouver too! I never get homesick because I've been away from Canada now for 25 years, but watching it on TV has made me nostalgic, eager to go back. A good friend of mine who lives on the harbour in Victoria is here in Florida for a visit. We're having dinner tonight and she's staying with another dear Canadian friend. We were all flight attendants together back in the 70's and 80's.

  7. Mary Ricksen // February 24, 2010 at 3:09 PM  

    Eh??
    I lived in Ottawa for a time. I loved it there. Such a beautiful city. I went to high school there and found life to be much the same as it was for me here in the US.
    The Canadian people are our relatives and for the most part we have great relations with this relative!
    "Oh Canada, our home and native land."
    I really didn't understand the God save the Queen stuff. But...

  8. Pamela Varnado // February 24, 2010 at 3:44 PM  

    Having only heard wonderful things about Canada, I've always wanted to visit there. Thanks for sharing.

  9. Scarlet Pumpernickel // February 24, 2010 at 4:46 PM  

    Roadtrip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  10. Autumn Jordon // February 24, 2010 at 5:11 PM  

    Oh, I would love to visit Vancouver. It looks so beauitful. My DH and I are talking maybe next year for our anniversary.

    You have every right to be proud.

  11. Beth Trissel // February 24, 2010 at 7:14 PM  

    High five, Patrice. It all sounds lovely.

  12. Mary Marvella // February 24, 2010 at 9:47 PM  

    Hey, Scarlet! We could take Pam and pick up Beth on the way!

  13. Judith Keim // February 25, 2010 at 10:39 AM  

    Fun, Patrice. I've visited Vancouver and it truly is a beautiful place. Took the ferry over to Victoria to see the Butchart gardens...beautiful. Love the loonies and toonies...

  14. Rebecca Grace // February 26, 2010 at 11:21 AM  

    Patrice
    I discovered Vancouver 30 years ago while living in Seattle, and I feel absolutely lost if I don't get back to visit at least every other year. I set my current book there, and I'm working on a sequel.
    I'm looking forward to my next trip in the fall, but in the meantime I swoon everytime I tune in to the Olympics.