Free Clip Art Picture of a Chocolate Valentine Heart with Truffles . Click Here to Get Free Images at Clipart Guide.comToday we celebrate the emotion that has inspired songs, poems and novels through the ages. Love.

Out of all the days in the year, why was Febraury 14th chosen as the date to celebrate? And by whom?

The tale begins in the early days of the Roman Empire during the short rule of Claudius II(Marcus Aurelius Claudius.) Each February, a celebration called the Lupercian festival was held to honor the God of Fertility. During this festival young men could chose their brides.

Roman was expanding. Fearing his men, would not want to pick up their swords and go into battle for the Empire, Emperor Claudius outlawed the practice of marriage.
However, young couples continued to fall in love and wanted to marry. With the help of Catholic Bishop Valentine who understood the power of love they did, secretly.

When Bishop Valentine’s actions were revealed, he was jailed and Claudius gave the order to put the young man to death.

While waiting for his fate, Bishop Valentine started to write the jailer’s daughter, and they soon fell in love.

On the day of his death, the young man wrote his love a last letter and signed it From Your Valentine.



*****
If you'd like to read a few great free Valentine stories presented by several of my fellow Wayback authors, please stop by my blog. Here's the link.
http://www.autumnjordonsnotes.blogspot.com/

16 comments

  1. Scarlet Pumpernickel // February 14, 2010 at 12:23 AM  

    What a sad beginning for such a lovely tradition. I didn't know about this, or if I did, I'd forgotten! Probably the latter, I seem to be doing that a lot lately. Thanks for sharing this with us.

  2. Mary Marvella // February 14, 2010 at 12:36 AM  

    I don't remember hearing that story before. Interesting, Autumn. You even got the historian in our group.

    Happy Valentine's Day!

  3. Judith Keim // February 14, 2010 at 9:45 AM  

    Fun post, Autumn. Whatever the reason for the holiday, it's a nice winter celebration at a time when people are starting to think of Spring. Any holiday that celebrates with chocolate can't be bad!!

  4. Autumn Jordon // February 14, 2010 at 9:49 AM  

    Scarlet and Mary, I know when I researched it and read about Valentine's legend I was all weepy.

    Cladius was only in reign two years and made some really bad decisions. Evne though his actions concerning his onsought against marriage was one of them, something good did result.

    Consider the cyber-chocolate my Valentine to the Fuzzies.

    (((HUGS))
    AJ

  5. Autumn Jordon // February 14, 2010 at 9:55 AM  

    Oh, God. I know, Judy. I wonder if it would be as celebrated as much any love time of the year. February is such a great month to cuddle.

    I think Valentine's Day is the reason so many babies are born in October and November. I'm a scorpio.

    Just a thought.

  6. Joelle Charbonneau // February 14, 2010 at 10:30 AM  

    What a great and yet terrible story. I've never heard this before...I would have remembered the Bishop falling in love with the jailer's daughter.

    Thanks for sharing and Happy Valentine's Day!

  7. Autumn Jordon // February 14, 2010 at 10:32 AM  

    Isn't it tradegy, sweet love story.

    sigh...

  8. Rita // February 14, 2010 at 10:35 AM  

    Thanks for this.
    What is everyone doing for their Honey today?

  9. KELLY FITZPATRICK // February 14, 2010 at 11:39 AM  

    Love prevails.

  10. Nightingale // February 14, 2010 at 12:06 PM  

    Poignant. Another wonderful political decision that backfired.

  11. Mary Ricksen // February 14, 2010 at 2:33 PM  

    I have read so many different takes on what started Valentines Day. But this is the best one. The one I like the best anyway. Thanks for the perfect post Autumn!

  12. Autumn Jordon // February 14, 2010 at 3:27 PM  

    Rita, My Dh just came back from fitiing for his Tux for son's wedding in March. I looked for a dress, but nona. I'll go another day by myself. It is Valentine's Day but men just don't understand one of the six dresses is not the right one. Nice day so far, we did lunch in our favorite German resturant.

    How about you? How are you spending the day?

  13. Autumn Jordon // February 14, 2010 at 3:28 PM  

    Exactly, Kelly! A true romantic story.

    BTW The way I went into B & N and smelled the books too! A truly great day.

  14. Autumn Jordon // February 14, 2010 at 3:31 PM  

    You've got to love it, NG! Wonder if Clauis is cringin' above? LOL.

  15. Autumn Jordon // February 14, 2010 at 3:31 PM  

    Really, Mary. You must share. I'm glad you liked the post.

  16. Mary Marvella // February 14, 2010 at 11:33 PM  

    I tutored two students, then came home to work on my computer. Got no honey and my daughter must have forgotten. Or she might be sick. Or occupied with plans with her honey.