My Lovely Valentine

Posted by Scarlet Pumpernickel | 12:37 AM | , , , , , , | 12 comments »


Have you ever been to a spa? A real destination Spa with soft music, soft lighting, organic juice, ice water with lemon and specialty teas for the choosing? If you’d asked me that question last week my answer would have been no, but ask me today and I can smile wistfully and say yes!

For Valentines Day my dear husband and daughter went in together and splurged to give me a day at the Lodge at Callaway Gardens' Five Star Spa Prunifolia.

My day began with our arrival at the spa around 11:30, I checked in at the reception desk and was whisked back to the spa area where I was given a pair of rubber clogs and fluffy, comfortable bath robe.

After undressing and donning my robe, I proceeded to the relaxation lounge to await my first service. The lighting was muted, a gentle fire flickered in the fireplace and fresh juice and ice water with lemon were available. My attendant filled my cup with water and mixed in organic cranberry juice, her favorite, she assured me. Settling into a soft cozy chair in front of the fire, I opened my copy of “Phantom of the Night” and began reading.

Before I’d gotten more than a couple pages into my novel the aesthetician came for me. The room was done in muted earth-tones with subdued lighting and soft music. The table, really a bed, was heated and cozy with very high thread count sheets and a down comforter. Lying there felt like sinking into the soft warm cotton of a summer cloud.

My daughter had arranged for the Sundria Anti-aging 80 minute facial. The service was awesome and I enjoyed every moment of it. I was surprised to learn my facial began with a foot treatment that included a sugar scrub, lotion, heated towels and warm booties.

Once my feet were encased in warm booties, the asthetician turned her attention to my face and began with Bendi touch massage, followed by deep cleansing, honey enzyme anti-aging treatment to refine, tighten and tone the skin and exfoliate. This was followed by another massage, which included my shoulders and décolleté. The products were natural, botanical based, smelled heavenly and felt good on my skin. While I experienced the firming mask, the asthetician continued with a hand and foot massage, the ultimate pampering. The final step of moisturizing left my skin feeling soft and refreshed.

My facial complete, I returned to the relaxation room where I enjoyed a special cup of Sundria Anti-oxidant tea while awaiting my next service.

The Evergreen Hot Towel Massage is not to be missed. The bed in this treatment room was just as comfortable as the one before. I quickly found myself floating on another warm cloud while the therapist massaged the sore muscles of my body, then applied warm towels to each area as she worked her way from limb to limb. I’m not a fan of deep tissue massage, it hurts, alright, I’m a wuss. But this therapist had the perfect touch and even with my sore muscles and bad knee, I found the massage quite lovely. When at last my massage was over I was given ice water to flush the toxins out and returned to the relaxation room where I enjoyed organic apple cider.

It was a day to remember and the perfect Valentines Day gift!

12 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // February 11, 2010 at 2:18 AM  

    Color me green with envy! You must have felt like a queen by the end of that day!

  2. Autumn Jordon // February 11, 2010 at 8:00 AM  

    I'm so jealous. This sounded totally awesome. Mary was right. You must've felt like a queen. SIGH.

  3. Judith Keim // February 11, 2010 at 8:43 AM  

    What a wonderful gift... The few times I've gone to a spa I've loved it. We all need a spa day now and then. So glad you had yours!

  4. Beth Trissel // February 11, 2010 at 8:56 AM  

    I would LOVE to go!!!!

  5. Nightingale // February 11, 2010 at 9:58 AM  

    What a lovely gift! I haven't been to a spa but now you have inspired me to go.

  6. Anonymous // February 11, 2010 at 10:20 AM  

    Ladies, I think we should plan a writers retreat at a spa! What fun, to write and relax together for a weekend. We really should consider doing it. Oh, and I have it from Scarlet that she certainly did feel like a Queen for a day.

    Melba Moon
    President-Elect KOD

  7. Joelle Charbonneau // February 11, 2010 at 10:54 AM  

    I'm with Melba. Spa day for all! I've never been and it sounds just fabulous!

  8. Author Roast and Toast // February 11, 2010 at 2:07 PM  

    Oh My God! That sounds heavenly!
    What a great family you have. No one would ever do that for me. You gotta great hubby!

  9. Helen Hardt // February 11, 2010 at 4:26 PM  

    I've been to a spa and it's heavenly! I loved reading about your day!!

  10. Scarlet Pumpernickel // February 11, 2010 at 7:48 PM  

    Hey everyone, glad you enjoyed reading about my gift! It was absolutely wonderful. I think Melba is on to something and we should have a writing retreat at a spa! We could all gather for a long weekend. Wouldn't that be great?

  11. Mary Marvella // February 11, 2010 at 8:32 PM  

    I'll vote for a spa day!

  12. Josie // February 13, 2010 at 3:11 PM  

    Sounds absolutely wonderful. I enjoyed a spa experience once on a cruise ship years ago. The experience can't be beat.