The First Kiss from my light paranormal romance novel Somewhere My Love has been selected for a contest at: 
http://romanceinthebackseat.com/interviews/blog/
Please vote for it beginning Monday  Feb. 22nd.
****
~Will blew the layer of dust from an ornate wooden box inlaid with ivory and lifted the lid. Inside were brass workings like the mechanism of a clock. He wound a small gold key in the back until it would wind no more, and released it. The wheels and cogs turned and wonderful music flowed forth, the beautiful strains of a Viennese waltz, The Blue Danube.

Julia clapped her hands. “A music box.”

He bowed. “May I have this dance, sweet Julia?”

She gazed up into his velvet brown eyes, and he gazed back. She managed a nod and he drew her into his arms. Around the attic he waltzed with her secure in his lead. Everything fell away except this moment while the haunting melody played on, taking her back to that faintly remembered place. She didn’t even stumble, not once. It was as if some inner memory guided her in the steps, even though ballroom dancing hadn’t been a part of her lessons.


The music picked up and he swung her around and around. Her dress swirled as he circled. With each turn, he was Will—then Cole, Will—then Cole, both men in rapid succession, separate and yet the same. Her heart pounded from far more than the whirling dance.

The music faded and Will slowly stopped revolving. They stood, his arms circled at her back and waist, eyes locked on each other.

His brow furrowed. “Julia, you look as if you’ve seen a ghost.”

She ran the tip of her tongue over her lips. “You may be the ghost.”

He tightened his mouth in an impatient line. “Don’t try to make me into Cole again.”

“Will, listen to me. I know it sounds crazy, but I think somehow you already are.”

He dropped his hands, turning away. “Only because you insist I am.”

She grabbed his arm. “No. It’s what I saw while we danced. You must believe me.”

“Believing doesn’t make it any easier,” he said flatly.

“That’s because you think I’m misled.”

He swiveled his head at her. Exasperation flared in his eyes. “There’s a simple reason for my laboring under that assumption. You are.”

“Don’t be angry. I hate that I’ve spoiled such a lovely moment.”

“You’ve a talent for that.” He turned and strode across the floor. His footsteps echoed on the boards with a hollow sound, just as her heart would beat if he left.

She ran behind him and reached out, catching his plush shoulder. “Consider me balmy, if you must, but don’t walk away. Please Will.”

He stayed as he was. “What do you want me to do, Julia?”

“I don’t know.” She wasn’t strong enough to turn him and dashed in front instead, grasping his upper arms and twisting the fabric in her fingers. “Something—anything.”

He smiled faintly. “Never say those words to a man.”

Cupping her face between his hands, he bent his head and closed his lips over hers in an all consuming kiss…so swiftly she hardly knew what had happened. Even if he hadn’t cupped her cheeks, she wouldn’t have moved. The compelling press of his mouth bound her in place.

If possible, Julia’s heart thudded even faster than it had before. The surging pulse drummed through her entire being, reverberating in places she didn’t even know she had. From what she could remember of her dream with Cole, her feelings had been poignant but tender. The sensations coursing through her now weren’t entirely that. An exhilarating passion was sweeping her up in a shocking tide.

“Who am I now?” Will whispered against her mouth.

She loosened her grip on his jacket in speechless surprise, too breathless to tell him she didn’t care.~

****
Star-crossed lovers, flashbacks to early 18th century Virginia, ghostly, murder mystery, light paranormal romance, Gothic flavors…SOMEWHERE MY LOVE

“As I read Somewhere My Love, I recalled the feelings I experienced the first time I read Daphne DuMaurier’s Rebecca long ago. Using deliciously eerie elements similar to that gothic romance, Beth Trissel has captured the haunting dangers, thrilling suspense and innocent passions that evoke the same tingly anticipation and heartfelt romance I so enjoyed then, and still do now.” ~ Joysann, Publishers Weekly













For more on my work please visit: www.bethtrissel.com

17 comments

  1. Anonymous // February 17, 2010 at 11:32 AM  

    After reading the excerpt, I understand why it was chosen. Very good scene. I felt I was hearing the waltz. Great job.

    Melba Moon
    President-Elect KOD

  2. Beth Trissel // February 17, 2010 at 11:35 AM  

    Thanks. :) If you click on the Youtube clip you will hear the Waltz.

  3. Joelle Charbonneau // February 17, 2010 at 11:49 AM  

    Great scene and congrats on being selected. I know I'll be voting for you!

  4. Beth Trissel // February 17, 2010 at 11:55 AM  

    Thanks Joelle.

  5. Judith Keim // February 17, 2010 at 11:57 AM  

    Hi, Beth! Nice blog. I'll be sure to vote for you but... will you send out a reminder for Monday? Thx

  6. Beth Trissel // February 17, 2010 at 12:01 PM  

    Yes, will send out a reminder. :)

  7. Mary Marvella // February 17, 2010 at 12:01 PM  

    Oh, my goodness! What a kiss! Beth, girl, you could give lessons!

    I'll vote twice if I can!

    The blog is soooo cleverly done. You need to give lessons on that, too.

  8. Beth Trissel // February 17, 2010 at 12:04 PM  

    Thanks Mary. I love doing this stuff! Am supposed to be working on edits. Back to it but will pop in and out.

  9. Mary Ricksen // February 17, 2010 at 3:54 PM  

    You can count on me sweetie! Great scene!

  10. Beth Trissel // February 17, 2010 at 4:28 PM  

    Thanks Mary R. :)))

  11. Pamela Varnado // February 17, 2010 at 5:29 PM  

    Excellent, Beth, and very visual. The way you incorporated the senses put and kept me in the scene. This is a great example of show don't tell.

  12. Beth Trissel // February 17, 2010 at 7:01 PM  

    Thanks so much for the high five.

  13. Scarlet Pumpernickel // February 17, 2010 at 8:02 PM  

    Loved the youtube link! Great blog. Loved the excerpt. I'll be voting for Somewhere My Love.

  14. Beth Trissel // February 17, 2010 at 8:39 PM  

    Thanks Scarlet. I'm over the moon for this youtube link.

  15. Josie // February 18, 2010 at 3:31 PM  

    Beautiful scene, Beth. I'll vote for you.

  16. Beth Trissel // February 18, 2010 at 3:57 PM  

    Thanks Joanne. :)

  17. Autumn Jordon // February 19, 2010 at 8:35 AM  

    OMG. Awesome first kiss, Beth. Loved the scene. Congrats on your award. (((HUGS))