I am charged with keeping the home fires going while most of our Pink Fuzzies are off to the RWA Nationals this week. Our own Beth Trissel is a finalist in the Golden Heart. Fingers crossed for her!

I couldn't attend this monumental event because I'd elected to go to Homecoming, another blog about cars, so be forewarned, therefore, forearmed.

I am a great fan of Oscar Wilde and often post quotes from the Wilde. His contemporaries never knew whether to take him seriously. Over a century after his death, we don't know what to make of this witty man but his legacy has kept The Picture of Dorian Gray continuously in print.

As an anecdote about the man himself, the following is quoted from The Wit & Wisdom of Oscar Wilde: "Men of Wilde's size (a bulky six-foot-three) typically dress down to take the edge off their imposing physical appearance. Oscar dressed up. He wore knee breeches, red waistcoats, velvet jackets, and a massive fur coat. A hairdresser waived his hair daily. He chain-smoked gold-tipped cigarettes. His ring featured a large green beetle. The buttonhole of his jacket was invariably decorated with some expensive flower."

The following quotes are "Wilde's Wilde", witticisms from Oscar Wilde about Oscar Wilde.

I am never in during the afternoon, except when I am confined to the house by a sharp attack of penury.

I have blown my trumpet against the gate of dullness.

If I were alone, marooned on some desert island and had my things with me, I should dress for dinner every evening.

I never put off till tomorrow what I can possibly do—the day after.

I am afraid I play no outdoor games at all. Except dominoes. I have sometimes played dominoes outside French cafes.


4 comments

  1. Anonymous // July 28, 2008 at 5:49 PM  

    Linda,
    I enjoy the quotes you give from Wilde, they are often right on target. I too have been tapped by our industrious leader.

    The Scarlet Pumpernickel

  2. Nightingale // July 28, 2008 at 8:14 PM  

    I understand the Call. Thanks for dropping by and takinga look!

  3. Toni V.S. // July 30, 2008 at 12:02 PM  

    Good ol' Oscar! He has a quote--tart and pithy--for every occasion. And they're always perfect!

  4. Mary Marvella // August 4, 2008 at 10:14 PM  

    A man after Linda's own heart!