There's a Shadow waiting at Home for me Warm and soft and watchful, And I never appreciate him more Than when it's raining and it's cold while The wind blows sheet-water in icy blasts. As I slam the car door and dash up the drive, head down, collar up, I see That glow in the darkness--fuzz-furred shape against the light, tapered ears twitching, gold-gleaming eyes Watching Waiting With a soft purr Welcoming me Home.


(Believe it or not, this is a poem though the computer made it into a paragraph! The handsome feline at left is Thibault Minuet, the "Prince of Midnight", named after the hero of my most favorite romance novel ever. It had Fabio on the cover. It was the first time I'd seen him and a day later saw him on TV and recognized him from the cover on the book!)

8 comments

  1. Mary Ricksen // July 18, 2008 at 3:15 PM  

    Cats are such beautiful animals, they
    Purr. And that is such a warm inviting sound. It touches us that this animal trusts us enough to feel totally safe. And purrs, to show us how we make them feel,content. No other animal can do that.
    But black cats are also mysterious and there is some magic in them all.

  2. Toni V.S. // July 18, 2008 at 10:46 PM  

    Thibault was the "hero" of "The Cat's Letter to his Mistress," in the anthology ANIMAL MAGNETISM, a story I wrote after he disappeared.

  3. Beth Trissel // July 19, 2008 at 9:32 AM  

    Lovely poem and pic.

  4. Nightingale // July 19, 2008 at 1:20 PM  

    I loved the poem and the sentiments. Having always been a lover of The Cat, I am sorely without a feline companion now. My last died of old age and I can't take the grief of another lost love.

  5. Anonymous // July 19, 2008 at 2:30 PM  

    I love cats and have two, but they can't compete with my little Jasmine. She died a couple of years ago, and since then there's a hole in my life where she used to be.

    Elaine Cantrell
    www.elainecantrell.com

  6. Mary Marvella // July 20, 2008 at 1:01 AM  

    Lovely job, but what else would I expect from you?

  7. Josie // July 20, 2008 at 8:21 AM  

    We are cat lovers, also. Our current cat, named "Jeffrey," was adopted from our local shelter. He is very smart, and a gorgeous, fluffy tabby.

  8. Anonymous // July 21, 2008 at 11:27 AM  

    Who can resist a playful little kitty? Who can resist Fabio?
    Not me.