Please welcome fabulous author Carmen Green. I've known Carmen forever. She has graciously agreed to be our guest today.

What was your first published book and to whom?
Now or Never –Kensington Publishing Corp 1995

What themes go through your books? I’m most known for the Crawford Family. I enjoy writing about families because I come from a big family and they’re very involved in my life. I derive a great amount of comfort in writing about what I know most. I also write about strong women characters who are single and meet men who ultimately convince them to commit to a relationship.

How did you write with kids and deadlines?
It was hard sometimes! I wrote in the car, doctor’s office and in bed. I became very versatile. Writing is a business that needs to be responded to. My children were a priority when they were small, but they’re grown now and I’m home alone now, so I write according to deadlines and other priorities. I have challenges, but I respond to them accordingly. I work writing as a business. I have work hours and I go to school full-time. I write all day long and all night too. When I’m not writing, I’m reading and when I’m not doing that, I’m sleep.


How many books have you published? I think 25.

Other jobs you've had? I don’t know. I’m a student now. I’m finishing my Master’s Degree in Creative Writing.

What do you love most about writing and do you not like? I love creating stories and people that don’t exist. I love that! I hate being in the house all the time. But I’m not a big fan of noise either so going into the world has its disadvantages. See, writers are quirky.


What are you writing now? I just told Mary I’m writing 4 book and you should see her eyes. She said what?? Yes, but they’re at different stages. One is for school, which is my thesis. The second is due in August, and that’s an internal deadline—meaning it’s not due to the publisher until November but I have another due in October so this one has to be done now. The third is October, and that’s in the synopsis/chapter breakdown phase, and the fourth is in the synopsis/three chapter phase ready to be developed.

What would you write if you could do write anything you wanted to write? My thesis novel. It’s about a woman with OCD(Obsessive Compulsive Disorder).

10 comments

  1. Anonymous // July 16, 2008 at 1:54 PM  

    Very inspiring to hear how Carmen gets the job done! Making time to write is a major challenge when you have other responsibilities that interfere with getting the words on paper. Hurray Carmen, way to go girl.

  2. Beth Trissel // July 16, 2008 at 1:55 PM  

    Fascinating interview. I cannot get over all that writing! Wowwww.
    Thank you so much for being our guest. I come from a large family too and well understand the demands.

  3. Mary Ricksen // July 16, 2008 at 4:25 PM  

    How does Carmen do it all? You have to have respect for someone who works hard and accomplishes as much as she does.
    And how kind of you to take the time to do an interview just for us. Thank you.

  4. Mary Marvella // July 17, 2008 at 12:43 AM  

    Thanks, Carmen! You rock!

  5. Mary Marvella // July 17, 2008 at 12:43 AM  
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  6. Nightingale // July 17, 2008 at 10:00 AM  

    I'm amazed at your regimen. What incredible concentration and dedication! Most writers, I suppose, spend a lot of time indoors. You said you didn't like noise. I tend not to go out as much as I once did. Do you suppose this is a product of the writing (living in other worlds) or staying in so much? Thanks for joining us, Carmen!

  7. Josie // July 20, 2008 at 8:24 AM  

    Carmen,
    I admire you! Besides your busy schedule and success as a writer, you also decided to go back to school and keep learning and honing your craft. Bravo to your continued success.

  8. Tamara LeBlanc // July 20, 2008 at 10:47 AM  

    I was happy to read Carmen's interview this morning. It was very inspiring and motivational to say the least. I work on more than one book at a time as well, but I'm not very productive. My writing usually trickles out, a little here, a little there.
    I'm also impressed by Carmen's schedule and drive. To juggle so much and still remain on task is an enviable feat.
    Carmen, you're the bomb. Thanks for your time and advice.
    Tamara DeStefano

  9. Anonymous // July 21, 2008 at 11:36 AM  

    Wow. I'm impressed. What's your secret? I struggle with just writing every day. You are a great example of what can be accomplished if a person really strives to reach their goals.
    Your committment to your writing motivates me.

  10. Anonymous // July 21, 2008 at 2:14 PM  

    I want to be Carmen when I grow up.
    MM