Please welcome Melanie Atkins, a writer who is going places! Melanie answered all my questions but the one about boxers or briefs. She prefers her men in....


Melanie, what was your first published book and by whom?

HAUNTED MEMORIES, in both e-book (2004) and print (2005) by a former publisher I’d rather not name. This book has since been re-edited and lengthened and is about to be re-released in e-book format by Cobblestone Press (July 25). I’m really excited about that.

What themes go through your books?


Honor, loyalty, and facing the unexpected seem to come up most often. This is reflected in the books I read and the movies I like. All have strong, alpha heroes and gritty, determined heroines.

How did you write with kids, family, and deadlines?

My kids are grown, which helps. My mother, however, is elderly and I spend a lot of time taking her to the grocery store, doctor appointments, and the like. I work around it. Writing on a laptop helps, because I can do it anywhere. I write at all times of the day, even at night, depending on my schedule. It differs every day, every week.

How many books have you published?

For me, this is a complicated question. I sold 12 books to my former publisher, but only six came out before it folded. I’ve now sold four books and novellas to Cobblestone Press (two of which are re-releases), and one to Treble Heart Books. So…I guess that means nine, not counting the two short story anthologies published by a small press in my hometown in which I placed stories.

What other jobs have you had?

I worked part time as a cashier, a newsprint measurer, and a waitress at various times while in college. Later, I worked in child care and as a secretary. Nothing exciting, that’s for sure, but those jobs paid the bills and I learned a lot.

What are you writing now?

I’m working on a single title romantic thriller, the third in a three book series, and a shorter book targeted to Harlequin Intrigue. I’m also searching for an agent.

What would you write if you could do write anything you wanted to write?

Exactly what I’m writing. I’d love to write both single title and category romantic suspense. I write fast, so I know I can handle it. I just need the chance to do it!

What do you have out now and coming soon?

VOODOO BONES was released in June from Cobblestone Press and is available at http://www.cobblestone-press.com/catalog/books/voodoobones.htm
HAUNTED MEMORIES, June 25, www.cobblestone-press.com
EMILY’S NIGHTMARE, August 2008, www.cobblestone-press.com

Do you have a website?

Yes. You can check out all of my projects at www.melanieatkins.com and www.myspace.com/melanieatkins

Thank you, Pink Fuzzies, for allowing me to guest blog!

Thanks for your time, Melanie!

Check this out to see why books by Melanie will be on many people's keeper shelves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EjARaxRcuc

16 comments

  1. Melanie Atkins // July 21, 2008 at 10:32 PM  

    Hey, you didn't send me a question about boxers or briefs! LOL It depends on the man.

  2. Mary Marvella // July 21, 2008 at 10:44 PM  

    I had to be a smart ass! I think I got the links!

  3. Edie Ramer // July 21, 2008 at 11:16 PM  

    It's not the boxers or briefs that matter; it's what's packed inside them.

    Great interview! Melanie, I've had a lot of the same jobs you've had. Writing is much better.

  4. Anonymous // July 21, 2008 at 11:18 PM  

    snerk, good response, edie. great interview, melanie!!

  5. Donnell Ann Bell // July 21, 2008 at 11:30 PM  

    Great interview Mary and hello to a fabulous writer. Hey those job you had? It's called on the job training. You forgot to add studier of human nature :) Good come back, Edie ;)

  6. Liz Lipperman // July 22, 2008 at 12:11 AM  

    Good interview, Mary. Hey, Melanie, you forgot to mention the skank!! LOL.

    Enjoyed your comments. Which one of your books was the one of your heart?

  7. Melanie Atkins // July 22, 2008 at 8:48 AM  

    Liz, the skank is history! Oh, and when I cleaned out my laundry room, kitchen, and pantry cabinets to paint, I found THREE irons. LOL!

  8. L.A. Mitchell // July 22, 2008 at 4:58 PM  

    What exactly does a newsprint measurer do? You left out the part about snake charmers...LOL

    Great interview, Mel

  9. Melanie Atkins // July 22, 2008 at 5:41 PM  
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  10. Mary Ricksen // July 22, 2008 at 5:42 PM  

    Writing is the best--job, ever! And you happen to do it well.
    So sorry about your buddy flip. Looks just like my cat Jeepers, I lost her a long time ago, but she is still in my heart.
    And yeah, what does a newsprint measurer do?

  11. Anonymous // July 23, 2008 at 12:16 AM  

    Great interview. It is inspiring to read about others who have had to fight their way through every crappy job known to man before getting to do what they really like... write!

    Mary keep 'em coming I'm feeling inspired!

  12. Anonymous // July 23, 2008 at 1:35 AM  

    Melanie
    Popped over to your website and it looks great! Love the guys with guns pictures. You have some of my favorite guys on there! Read the excerpt of Voodoo bones and I'm gonna buy it as soon as I figure out what format I'll need.

    The Scarlet Pumpernickel

  13. Nightingale // July 23, 2008 at 11:37 AM  

    Cool web site, Melanie. I love the covers of your books, especially Emily's Nightmare. Thanks for being with us and for an inspiring interview.

  14. Mary Marvella // July 23, 2008 at 8:41 PM  

    Ah, the Scarlet Pumpernickel strikes again. What a caped hero!

  15. Beth Trissel // July 23, 2008 at 11:01 PM  

    Very interesting writing journey. I enjoyed getting to know more about you, Melanie. :)

  16. Melanie Atkins // July 23, 2008 at 11:10 PM  

    Thank you, everyone! I appreciate the chance to have my interview posted on your blog.