Tuesday is the first day of spring. Signs of its arrival have been popping up and out for the past three weeks here in NE PA. It was reported that Punxsutawney Phil was not available for comment concerning Mother’s Nature thumbing her nose at him. HA ha-ha!

Spring brings many memories to my mind. One is my grandmother. As soon as the weather broke and the coal stove was dampened down and the windows open to let fresh air breeze through the house, it was time for spring cleaning. The furniture was moved back and the carpets rolled up and taken outside and hung over the wash line. It was the younger childrens job to bat the heck out of them. The carpets wouldn’t be brought back into the house until the last a spec of dust fell from the carpet's fibers.

While the carpets were handled, drapes, furniture cushions, and pillows found their way to the wash line too. The venetian blinds were stripped from the windows and put into huge tubs of sudsy water. Grandpa was called if any repairs had to be made. This was the time, before the real work began.

Once he was done, and his tools put away, the furniture was brushed and wiped down. (They didn’t have vacuum extensions during this time period. Grandme’s vacuum was huge and roared like a T-Rex.) Dust Bunnies were rounded up. The furniture was move to the center of the room. The walls were stripped of all adornments and then, came the hot soapy water. The walls wiped sown. Hot soapy pine water was used on all the wood work. And, hot vinegar water was use to scrub the windows. Newspaper was used to dry them and make them shine. Finally the floor was scrubbed.

Only after the room passed Grandme’s inspection was everything put back into place. Then it was onto the next room.

While the women worked inside the men were busy outside. The house was taken care of before the spring planting could begin.

Spring cleaning usually took a good four days, but by Sunday all the chores were done and we could relax and enjoy a Sunday dinner in a sparkling home.

So this week, like my grandmother and my mother, I’ll begin my spring cleaning. My job will be made easier by modern conveniences. I can’t wait to smell inside the freshness of SPRING.

Disclaimer: I’m not as old as this blog might make me seem, but this is my grandmother I’m blogging about. She had her ways and her tools and we helped doing the job her way.

9 comments

  1. Mary Ricksen // March 18, 2012 at 6:24 PM  

    Whomever you get to take over your body and do this. I would appreciate your introducing. Better yet, I'll hose the place out!
    I hate housework!!! I love clean, I'd work an extra day to have money to pay someone else to do that stuff!!!
    I do have the greatest admiration for you however!!!

  2. Autumn Jordon // March 18, 2012 at 6:57 PM  

    Hey, Mary, this was the way it was done. I think the kitchen was the worse, because all the cabinets were emptied, clean and fresh paper put down.

    Do I do all of this. When I have time and one room at a time. LOL

  3. Beth Trissel // March 18, 2012 at 6:59 PM  

    I love your post, Autumn. Wish someone would spring clean here. I did last year but this year I'm wearing myself out working in the garden and my many flower beds because as you pointed out, spring is mighty early this year. Phil blew it. :)

  4. Autumn Jordon // March 18, 2012 at 7:07 PM  

    I raked one bed out today, Beth. I can't wait to start planting. It will soon be time, so I guess I better get some spring cleaning done this week.

    Glad you enjoyed the post.

  5. Mary Marvella // March 18, 2012 at 7:51 PM  

    Lovely blog! I remember Mama opening all the windows and freezing us out by evening! She left all windows open because the cleaners were caustic.

  6. Autumn Jordon // March 18, 2012 at 8:11 PM  

    Thanks, Mary M. I know exactly what you're talking about. Never ever mix bleach with ammonia. Never. Very dangerous.

    Glad you liked the post.

  7. Scarlet Pumpernickel // March 19, 2012 at 3:09 AM  

    Spring is in full bloom here in Georgia! The dogwoods are lovely and my new Johnny-Quills are wonderful. We put out 100 bulbs back in January, wasn't sure they would bloom this year, but they are!

  8. Judith Keim // March 19, 2012 at 8:30 AM  

    There is something about spring that makes me want to start new projects,etc. One ritual is to take a "Winter" blanket off the bed and put on the "Summer" blanket...sometimes it's too early and we'd shiver but it was worth it just the same...

  9. Josie // March 23, 2012 at 2:36 PM  

    Autumn,
    Your grandmother's spring cleaning puts me to shame. I spring clean--but not like that. Wow! She sounds like an amazing woman.