BIAW--Book-in-a-week.

I signed up for Kiss of Death's BIAW which starts today, March 19th. I must have been crazy. Whatever might make me think I could write a book in a week?


Well, you might say my friend Bev Bateman twisted my arm, but that wouldn't be true. As usual, I jumped into the thick of this right on my own. No one dared me, threatened me or bribed me to sign up. I just thought I'd give it a shot to see it I could prime the pump so to speak.



You see, I've gotten the bug again. Caught it from some of my good friends. Spent the weekend in New Orleans at Fantasy on the Bayou, FF&P's very first conference and was inspired by the city, the authors and the editors to get my butt in gear.





I've got a new plot hatching this very moment. I've outlined, something I usually never do, but BIAW offers a great questionnaire that, when complete, gives you the outline. Amazingly easy to do.

My main character, the heroine, introduced herself to me today. She is petite, with shoulder-length glossy black hair. Her name is Sable and she is from the year 2436. Yep, this one's gonna be a time-travel. 659 words written so far and I still don't know who the hero is, but I'm sure he'll jump out at me soon.

I think I'm going to enjoy writing this story. Even if it does take longer than a week. What about your, have you ever tried BIAW or Fastdraft?

13 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // March 19, 2012 at 2:47 AM  

    Go, Scarlet! This one sounds like a winner! The conference was awesome.

  2. Judith Keim // March 19, 2012 at 8:32 AM  

    I've done a fast draft before - a 65,000 plus words in 60 days and it was tough, mostly because I didn't have an outline done before I started. But interesting things come out of it, though I learned it isn't my style of writing.

  3. Anonymous // March 19, 2012 at 10:04 AM  

    Mary, you were there when Sable spoke her first words. Kind of like a birth, isn't it?

    Judy, I understand. It usually isn't my style either, but it does help get the creative juices flowing. If I can get a chapter or two into the stories, my characters should take over and lead me a merry chase. At the very least, it will help me get back into the habit of writing daily. The manuscript I just had critiqued for the Gin Ellis workshop was completed in rough, rough draft during a Fastdraft session. I had been dawdling for months. So it was the kick in the seat I needed.

    Melba

  4. Mary Ricksen // March 19, 2012 at 2:46 PM  

    I love time travel, it's my favorite. Linda and I went to a conference in NO last year. It was great wasn't it Linda!

  5. Mona Risk // March 19, 2012 at 3:22 PM  

    Scarlet, thanks for the lovely pictures. I haven't been to N.O. since 15 years. I was wondering if it has changed too much after Katrina. I'm glad it didn't.

    I too had a new story almost writing itself in my mind three days ago, hero, heroine, villain, plot... I spent my Saturday writing a three-page synopsis in order to get my ideas on paper. I wish I could do the BIAW, but I can't write a word before April 20

  6. Scarlet Pumpernickel // March 19, 2012 at 4:50 PM  

    Mona, I wish you could join me in the BIAW. Maybe we could do our own BIAW here on the Fuzzies and everyone could report their progress. We could start when you are free to write. Glad everyone like the pictures. MM and I went out walking Sunday morning just to make pictures. We tried to find the cemetary where Marie Lavoue is buried, but it seemed to be cloaked. We walked and walked, but it wasn't where everyone said it should be. Strange, huh?

  7. Scarlet Pumpernickel // March 19, 2012 at 4:51 PM  

    Mary R. time-travel is one of my favorite sub-genre. I usually go for a modern person going back in time, but a futuristic person coming to our time seems to be where this story is headed.

  8. Mary Marvella // March 20, 2012 at 1:50 AM  

    I was!
    She spoke to me behind your back.

  9. Autumn Jordon // March 20, 2012 at 9:56 AM  

    You go, girl! I'm not a fast draft person, not in a week atleast, but I admire those who do it. Infact, I'm green. LOL

    And sigh, one day I'll get to LA. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

  10. Anonymous // March 20, 2012 at 1:26 PM  

    Autum, all the pink fuzzies should plan a weekend retreat somewhere central to everyone! Wouldn't that be a hoot, an entire weekend to plot and work together.

    I turned in a total of 1137 for the first day. Now, I can't wait to get home and get started for today.

    M w/a Scarlet

  11. Mary Marvella // March 21, 2012 at 12:33 AM  

    Go, Scarlet!

  12. Anonymous // March 21, 2012 at 1:15 PM  

    MM, slow day yesterday. Went to Sam's Club with DD. Only 330 words.

  13. Josie // March 23, 2012 at 2:37 PM  

    BIAW is something I'd like to tackle. How many words are you supposed to write?