Zumba!!!

Posted by Mona Risk | 1:09 PM | | 12 comments »


Zumba is the name of a dance fitness program created by dancer and choreographer Beto in Colombia during the 1990s. Zumba was marketed by entrepreneur Alberto Perlman, who made the concept popular through dance classes as well as branded merchandise. The program combines Latin and international music with dance in an effort to make exercise fun.

Zumba classes are offered through licensed instructors in more than 90,000 fitness center locations in 110 countries with ten million participants. DVDs are also available for learning at home.

The traditional Zumba class including basic rhythms like merengue, foxtrot, salsa, cumbia, reggaeton, belly dance, waltz, flamenco, tango, samba. If you haven’t seen my zumba instructor perform you can’t imagine what is fast dancing.

After years of ballet lessons and recitals, and many parties where we danced the oldies, samba, rhumba, chacha, meringue, twist and the now classic rock and roll, I considered myself not too lousy at dancing. Please if you are too young to even know the name of these dances, check them in google. Boy, do you make me feel old!!!

Well I heard about the zumba on one of our writers loop. I think it was the FTHRW loop, and i felt curious. When I noticed a sign with Learn Zumba at my Pilates studio, I asked a few questions. [This proves that to be interested in a new product—or a new book, dear authors—you have to see it several times].

So I signed up for zumba before Thanksgiving and started my first lesson last evening.
Imagine a room relatively large with a mirrored wall, very loud latino music, and a lovely girl, our instructor, who must have inserted special motors in her hips, feet and arms.
Shake it, baby. Move it. Turn. Five times. Repeat. Front, back, Left. Right.

Why was I always on left when she was already at right?
Why was I trailing behind when the class was already in the front?
I was in shorts while the other students wore long tights and yet beads of perspiration glistened on my forehead. After an hour, my knees ached, my throat was dry and my arms felt like loaded with lead.

She’s going to tell me I suck. I know I suck.
“Mona, you did great. Have you done this before?”
“Huh?” I looked at the slim girl next to me, convinced our pretty instructor had our names confused.
“No,” she insisted. “You.” She pointed at me. “You’re doing well. In a couple of months, you’ll roll your hips faster and you’ll have lost a lot OF pounds.”
Wow, I thought I was as slow as a turtle limping from one side of the street to the other.

Guess what? I was so pleased with the compliment I signed up fork next Tuesday. I just hope that my knee, neck and arms stop hurting.
If you like to travel and love to read, come and enjoy my international romances. I will take you around the world through stories that simmer with emotion and sizzle with heat.

BABIES IN THE BARGAIN at amazon.com
Rx FOR TRUST at amazon.com
http://www.monarisk.com/

12 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // December 1, 2010 at 2:06 PM  

    Funny! I understand being a step behind in dancing. I was always that way. I don't always translate the words to the body action in time.

    You are one active chick! Dance, Mona, dance!

  2. Anonymous // December 1, 2010 at 4:20 PM  

    LOL! My daughter just returned from a Caribbean Cruise and was able to dance with a hot Latin hunk because of doing Zumba! She could follow his Latin dance steps better than all the girls who hadn't taken Zumba. Me, I sit on the sofa and watch. Makes my hip hurt just watching.

    Scarlet

  3. Mona Risk // December 1, 2010 at 4:37 PM  

    Mary, you should see the active chick today. Aches all over my poor frame!

  4. Mona Risk // December 1, 2010 at 4:38 PM  

    Scarlet, I will tell my niece to start some serious zumba. She was bored out of her skull on the cruise without some onteresting company.

  5. Beth Trissel // December 1, 2010 at 6:16 PM  

    I very much enjoyed reading about your new undertaking, Mona. I never heard of this but it sounds fun and daunting at the same time. Keep us posted.

  6. Barbara Monajem // December 1, 2010 at 7:30 PM  

    LOL, Mona -- this reminds me of when I tried belly dancing. Whew! My instructor was amazing.

  7. Josie // December 1, 2010 at 8:01 PM  

    Mona,
    My 15 year old daughter loves her Zumba class. She goes twice a week and convinced me to attend with her a few weeks back.
    It was loads of fun! I stayed in the back of the class, and she is in front with the instructor.

  8. Mona Risk // December 1, 2010 at 8:53 PM  

    Beth, I will sure post again in a month or two. I am curious to know if I'll survive.

  9. Mona Risk // December 1, 2010 at 8:54 PM  

    Barbara, I never had belly dancing lessons. I think it will be easier than that zumba.

  10. Mona Risk // December 1, 2010 at 8:55 PM  

    Yeah, Joanne, we should compare notes. I too stayed at the back of the class, but there was a damn mirror reflecting way too much clumsiness.

  11. Judith Keim // December 2, 2010 at 8:07 AM  

    Mona, I smiled and laughed reading your post! Sounds like you've got it altogether, girl!! I would LOVE to try it...don't know where there's a studio nearby. I'll have to check it out...

  12. Nightingale // December 2, 2010 at 10:08 AM  

    Like Beth, I've never heard of the dance, but I'd love to see it performed -- especially featuring our own Mona!