Dec. 11, 2010

Hi everyone. Welcome to the Pink Fuzzy Slippers. We've had some yummy recipes posted so far this week and will have more through Wednesday. Today, I'm sharing one of mine.

Spending an entire day making Christmas cookies has been a tradition in my household since my eldest could stand on a step-stool and help. Infact, the tradition dates back further. I remember helping my grandmother bake. Part of the ritual has always been guarding the refrigerated cookie dough from my four children. Most years my cookie baking time was cut significantly because of little cookie dough thieves.

Now, thirty some years later, my grandchildren love coming to grandma’s for a fun-filled day of baking cookies. And they all have aprons made their great-grand mother.

One of the favorite cookie recipes has been handed down for generations and is known to our family as Aunt Elsie’s A & P’s. It’s a simple sugar cookie recipe made into roll outs.

Ingredients:
2 Cups sugar
1 Cup Butter softened
2 Large eggs
1 TBL vanilla
1 TBL milk
1 teas. Baking Soda
1 teas. Cream of Tartar
3 ½ Cups of Flour

Cream together butter, eggs, vanilla and sugar. Sift together flour baking soda and cream of Tartar. Slowly mix the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Wrap in parchment paper and refrigerator a minimum of two hours.

Just as Taylor is doing here, roll the dough out on a floured surface, carefully cut and place them on a cookie sheet.

Then decorate with sugar topping and bake at 350° for about 7-9 minutes.





Enjoy!

Happy Holidays from my family to yours.

15 comments

  1. Mona Risk // December 11, 2010 at 5:48 PM  

    What an adorable little chef. I bet her cookies are delicious.

  2. Margaret Tanner // December 11, 2010 at 6:01 PM  

    Hi Autumn,
    Love the cute chef. The cookie recipe sounds great too.

    Regards

    margaret

  3. Mary Marvella // December 11, 2010 at 7:16 PM  

    Thanks for sharing the recipe and your cookie baking experiences, I see a ton of love there!

  4. Scarlet Pumpernickel // December 11, 2010 at 7:47 PM  

    Autumn, thanks for sharing this family recipe. I will add it to my list to make for Christmas. I granddaughter loves to bake. Your pictures a so inspiring. Makes me want to go get started baking. We just got the tree up and decorated. Yeah! It's Christmas, it's Christmas!

  5. Barbara Monajem // December 11, 2010 at 9:17 PM  

    Sweet! Lovely recipe, lovely pics.

  6. Autumn Jordon // December 12, 2010 at 7:41 AM  

    Thanks everyone for stopping by and commenting. I know how busy everyone is. Happy Holidays to you.

  7. Judith Keim // December 12, 2010 at 8:22 AM  

    So darling, Autumn! There's something about having little helping hands that make cookies very special. One of my granddaughters has been "baking" since she was two!!

  8. P.L. Parker // December 12, 2010 at 11:42 AM  

    Taylor is a dollie. I have one just about that age who helped me put the tree together last night. She was just a great help.

  9. Toni V.S. // December 12, 2010 at 2:55 PM  

    Looks like you had a great little helper, too.

  10. Scarlet Pumpernickel // December 12, 2010 at 3:19 PM  

    Spent the day putting up the tree and arranging decorations. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas at Scarlet's house. Playing Elvis' Blue Christmas as I type this! Yum!

    Love the pictures of your little helper in the kitchen. Can't wait until my GD gets here to help me with baking. She'll arrive after school on Friday and stay until Christmas day.

  11. Autumn Jordon // December 12, 2010 at 11:06 PM  

    Oh, we did have a ball. I hope you all post a few pictures of your holiday prepartions with little helpers.

  12. Nightingale // December 13, 2010 at 9:55 AM  

    What darling photos. Thanks for sharing.

  13. Pamela Varnado // December 13, 2010 at 10:18 AM  

    This recipe sounds yummy. And I love the family pictures. They brought back memories of baking christmas cookies with my two kids. I can almost smell them!

  14. Josie // December 14, 2010 at 7:56 AM  

    Beautiful pictures,and recipe looks yummy. Thanks!

  15. Mary Ricksen // December 15, 2010 at 6:27 PM  

    I always pictured myself doing just that with my grand girls. But, we never had kids and dogs can't cook..... I'll take the kid!
    So I'll have to make it on my own!