Xmas Baking

Posted by Judith Keim | 7:15 AM | 11 comments »

For the first time in many years, I baked Christmas cookies as little thank you gifts. Standing at the kitchen counter, mixing and measuring, I thought of all the Christmas baking I did as a young girl with my mother and sister. It was a big part of celebrating the holidays-- sprinkling colorful sugar on some, rolling others in confectioner’s sugar, making elaborate designs on the cut-out kind, and, of course, licking the icing bowl. It was a big but fun production.

I continued Christmas baking when my kids were small, but as they grew up and away, I stopped. There was no one to help and everybody I knew was watching their weight. Bah! Humbug!

This year I needed to thank a whole bunch of people (associated with my husband’s work) for their many kindnesses. We decided the homemade touch would be just right. So we’ve put together a platter of assorted homemade cookies and guess what? The Christmas spirit is alive and better than ever!!

The recipe below is easy and fun…

Thumbprints:

1 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, separated
2 cups flour
1 cup chopped nuts (I prefer Pecans)
1 tsp. vanilla
Jelly - I use Current jelly

Cream butter, blend in sugar. Add egg yolks, beat well. Blend in flour. Roll into balls the size of a walnut. Dip in egg white, then chopped nuts. Place on cookie sheet. Use thimble to make depression. Bake 12-15 minutes at 375 degrees. Fill with jelly when cool.

Enjoy!!!

11 comments

  1. Mona Risk // December 8, 2010 at 11:57 AM  

    Judy, your cookies look delicious. I bet my granddaughters will love to help me bake them and I am sure they'll promise not to 'make any mess.'

  2. Barbara Monajem // December 8, 2010 at 12:17 PM  

    LOL, Mona. I promise not to make any mess, too.

    Judy, these cookies must look really pretty with the nuts on the outside and jelly in the middle. :)

  3. Mary Marvella // December 8, 2010 at 2:07 PM  

    I'm with Mona and Barbara. They sound wonderful. Now look below this post and read Tamara's post, too. It's SWEET!!!!!

  4. Judith Keim // December 8, 2010 at 3:41 PM  

    Too funny...part of baking is making a little mess, though. Right? LOL

  5. Autumn Jordon // December 8, 2010 at 7:33 PM  

    Oh, Yum. These sound tasty and easy.

    I use to bake tons too and like you the kids grew up and I was left with bins of cookies. I fed the birds. Last year however, I made trays and delivered them to older couples in our area. They loved them and I already have had hints as to when they would be delivered this year. Next week, I'll get busy with cookies and I think these will be included.

    Can I call them Judy's drops.

  6. Mary Marvella // December 8, 2010 at 8:20 PM  

    Autumn, you are a generous person!

  7. Judith Keim // December 9, 2010 at 9:41 AM  

    I'm laughing Autumn. You can call the cookies anything you want... Fun how names get changed according to who or where you got them...

  8. Nightingale // December 9, 2010 at 10:01 AM  

    I thought I left a comment yesterday saying how nice I thought homemade gifts were. Guess not. The cookies sound great!!

  9. Tamara LeBlanc // December 9, 2010 at 10:11 AM  

    I have one word for your post...YUM!
    have a fabulous day, and thanks for the recipe.
    Tamara

  10. Mary Ricksen // December 9, 2010 at 4:58 PM  

    Yummy. I used to do that. And I just might again!
    This is one of my favorite recipes!

  11. Josie // December 10, 2010 at 12:34 PM  

    Judy,
    You posted one of my favorite recipes. We usually use raspberry jam. I've used jelly, and it's too runny.