Cherry Slice

Posted by Barbara Monajem | 2:14 PM | , , | 12 comments »

This recipe was handed down from my grandmother to my mother and on down to me. It's a special-occasion sort of recipe, not just because it looks gorgeous and tastes fabulous, but because it's dangerously addictive. Be warned!

I made it for my local RWA chapter's Christmas party last year, and I was hoping to do so again this year (so I'd get the leftovers), but it turns out we're having a buffet breakfast instead. So I have no excuse to make it or pig out on it. I should be relieved, right? Nope. Because I already have the cherries (both red and green this time, so that should look festive), and I have to use them up. :) Poor me.

Cherry Slice

Crust:
Mix together 1/2 cup soft butter and 1 cup flour. Spread over the bottom of an 8" x 8" pan and bake at 400 F for 15 to 20 minutes.

Topping:

2 beaten eggs, 1-1/2 cups brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut (trust me, this recipe is plenty sweet already, so you don't need sweetened coconut), 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, 1/2 pound glace cherries, halved. Mix topping, spread carefully over the crust, and bake at 325 F for 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool before cutting into squares. (I suspect it will cut more easily if chilled in the fridge, so I'm going to try that this time.)

Indulge!! (And then hide the recipe until next year.)

12 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // December 5, 2010 at 3:49 PM  

    ooooo Sweet! Thanks for making me want cherries.

  2. Barbara Monajem // December 5, 2010 at 5:00 PM  

    Mary, if you want some candied cherries, let me know. I have more than I'm likely to use this year.

  3. Beth Trissel // December 5, 2010 at 5:04 PM  

    What a wonderful sounding/looking recipe and how lovely that it was handed down to you in your family. I love that personal aspect. I wish we Fuzzies could get together for a fun festive potluck but it will have to be a virtual get together. You bring these.

  4. Susanna Ives // December 5, 2010 at 5:23 PM  

    Cherries, coconut, and butter. Yum. Decadence!

  5. Mary Ricksen // December 5, 2010 at 6:10 PM  

    Oh My God! I can't wait to try it! Oh there goes another five pounds!
    I want some!!

  6. Nightingale // December 5, 2010 at 6:26 PM  

    This is definitely a recipe I'll save for my Christmas baking (if I can wait that long!) You must be a good cook, Barbara

  7. Autumn Jordon // December 5, 2010 at 8:09 PM  

    I agrre with Beth. You must bring these. It sounds so yummy and really easy to make.

  8. Scarlet Pumpernickel // December 6, 2010 at 2:31 AM  

    I'll have to fix something for school the last week before Christmas. Thanks for the recipe, I'll give it a try.

  9. Judith Keim // December 6, 2010 at 12:10 PM  

    Yum!!! No wonder it's addictive... Thanks for sharing...I think LOL

  10. Tamara LeBlanc // December 6, 2010 at 12:47 PM  

    OHHHHH, Mmmmmm, Geeeeee!
    That sounds fantastic!
    I have a Christmas Brunch at my house every Christmas Eve and that would be a great addition to our menu!
    Thanks soooo much for the recipe and pic.
    Have a great afternoon, and don't forget, my book, Blessing in Disguise comes out tonight at 7pm on Liquid Silver Books.com...in case your interested:)

    Tamara

  11. Barbara Monajem // December 6, 2010 at 3:39 PM  

    Thank you everyone for all the comments. I posted this blog and then forgot all about it. Just goes to show the fuzzy state of my mind -- nothing to do with pink slippers, just thick and impenetrable.

    Tamara - CONGRATULATIONS!!!

  12. TESOL certification // December 6, 2010 at 8:19 PM  

    The recipe sounds very delightful! I just love cherry desserts. Oh shoot! There goes my diet again.