I had a love/hate relationship with my Christmas presents this year. Sure, Santa was good to me, but he was also probably chuckling as I unwrapped some of my gifts. Tucked in among the sweaters, scarves, and other useful items was my first digital reader and what my cellular provider calls a smart phone. I soon learned that being a smart phone didn’t mean it would be any less challenging for me to master. Hey, I belong to the old school generation, so give me a break!


Even with all my concerns, upon seeing the Kindle I jumped to my feet and stomped out an Irish jig. Then fear set in again, for my track record wasn’t too good when it came to anything technological.

But being a writer I decided to put my experience into words. Below is my adaption of Twas the Night Before Christmas.


Christmas Morning
By Pamela Varnado

Twas Christmas morning and all through my house,
Nothing was clicking, not even my computer mouse.
The presents were wrapped and sat under the tree,
Ribboned and bowed with much love and much glee.

My family was up and out of their beds,
While visions of Christmas dinner swirled in their heads.
My husband in his plush robe, and I in my Tee,
Had just settled down for a hot cup of coffee.

When out in the family room there arose such a shout,
I sprang to my feet to see what it was about.
Across the tile and the carpet I flew in a flash
And raced in to see what was happening at the speed of a dash

When, what to my amazement did I see,
But presents wrapped up under the Christmas tree just for me.
My son Joel did a little dance, so lively and quick,
And shouted, “Look Mama, there’s gifts from St. Nick”.

Some of the packages were large and very hard to lift,
But he laughed and he danced as he passed out each gift.
Here Mama! Here Papa! Here Christina and Lily!
For Triston! For Ivan! For Andrew and Billy!

From my lap to my head my stack of presents did rise,
Until I thought they would surely end in the sky.
So I ripped off the wrappings in lickety-split.
As I basked in the warmth from the fireplace pit.

And then, my heart skipped more than a couple of beats,
As I beheld my first digital reader, what a magnificent feat.
I drew in a breath, my joy so wondrous and complete,
That I thought I would float right off of my feet.

My Kindle was sleek and fit right in my hand,
With a 6 inch Display and New E Ink Pearl Technology it could only be called grand.
I stood to my feet and I raced to my office,
I needed to hurry up and plug it in to charge it.

My eyes, how they twinkled as I stared down with pleasure!
And oohed and aahed over my WI-FI ready treasure!
After a while it was charged and ready to go,
So I flipped on the switch and smiled at the screen’s glow.

I spoke not a word, as I studied the User’s Guide,
For this Christmas I was determined to make such great strides.
I played with my new toy like a ten year old girl,
Pushed buttons and selected menus all the time doing a swirl.

I downloaded Blessings in Disguise and Daughter of the Wind,
Notorious Eliza, Hot Spanish Nights, and one of my favorite’s Blood Sin,
A press of my finger and out flowed Evil’s Witness, Tripping through Time, and Rx for Trust,
And, of course, my own story After Glow was a must.

Nestled in my favorite recliner I browsed and I read.
Until finally I realized this technology was nothing to dread.
I was soon ready to tackle things even more challenging, it’s true.
Like smart phones and IPads and future technology, too.

They allow me to reach out in ways I thought never to do,
To add a humanizing factor to gigabytes and electronic paper, to name a few
Now with pictures and stories and online greeting cards I can say,
Happy holidays to all, and to all a have a great day!

32 comments

  1. Donnell Ann Bell // December 28, 2010 at 2:13 PM  

    Brava, Pamela, you high tech woman, you! What a wonderful day to spend it reading. Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!

  2. Sandy Elzie // December 28, 2010 at 2:17 PM  

    Good job Pam, Good luck on the high tech stuff...I've got to be world's worst in that area. (Good thing I married a techie kind of guy)

    Sandy

  3. Beth Trissel // December 28, 2010 at 2:23 PM  

    Wonderful post and I loved your poem. I A brave new world, indeed.

  4. Pamela Varnado // December 28, 2010 at 2:54 PM  

    Happy Holidays, Donnell. I don't know about the high tech bit, but I do plan on having a happy New Year.

  5. Pamela Varnado // December 28, 2010 at 2:55 PM  

    Sandi, while my husband is the greatest when it comes to anything else, he's as lost as I am in the techno world. We rely on our kids a lot.

  6. Pamela Varnado // December 28, 2010 at 2:57 PM  

    Beth, I'm glad you liked the poem. It's a little choppy in places, but I'm claiming leeway in the spirit of the holidays.

  7. Anonymous // December 28, 2010 at 3:15 PM  

    Love the poem, Pam. You go girl on the techie stuff. Kudos for stepping into a new world.

  8. Mary Ricksen // December 28, 2010 at 3:25 PM  

    Yay Pam! You are better then me! I was shocked at finding that I got a great present this year. A Nook!
    Now I just have to figure out if I can transfer some books on my computer to my Nook and can I get books on Amazon? Or am I stuck with just B&N to order books. I haven't ordered anything yet. But I will!
    Need to figure these things out! Good luck, great blog Pam. Loved the revised poem, sounds like a fun Christmas!

  9. Pamela Varnado // December 28, 2010 at 3:33 PM  

    Mary R., every day I have to force myself to learn a little more about all the new gadgets that out on the market. If I don't I'm afraid I'll wake up one morning and find myself in a Rip Van Wrinkle world, where everything has changed and I'm clueless.

  10. Dianna Shuford // December 28, 2010 at 3:38 PM  

    Pam,

    Such a fun retelling. I got a Nook for Christmas and I've been having fun since Christmas too. Ah, sisters in the techie spirit!

  11. Pamela Varnado // December 28, 2010 at 3:45 PM  

    Dianna, my niece got a Nook for Christmas also. She says it’s even more fun than the Kindle. I would have loved to have explored my options, but my daughter has a Kindle and I knew she'd be around to answer the questions I'm sure to have.

  12. Connie Gillam // December 28, 2010 at 4:05 PM  

    Great poem, Pamela!

    You've got skills, girl.

    My husband received a Kindle from his sweet wife. He didn't have as easy a time of it as you did. He says he's a history teacher not an electronic guru.

    Happy Holidays everyone.

  13. Mona Risk // December 28, 2010 at 4:09 PM  

    WOW Pam what a great Christmas gift and what a greater poem. See how your new Nook inspired you. Now make sure you read all our masterpieces. LOL. So glad you made it home safe and your husband's surgery went well.
    Happy New Year.
    www.monarisk.blogspot.com

  14. Pamela Varnado // December 28, 2010 at 4:25 PM  

    Connie, it's the age, girl. I'm convinced that every new generation is determined to make the previous one feel like they won't survive without them.

  15. Pamela Varnado // December 28, 2010 at 4:28 PM  

    Mona, thanks for asking about my hubby. He's been so concerned that I've been neglecting my writing to care for him. Little does he know, talking with him gave me a new idea for a romantic suspense series. You know what, I think it would be good to share that with him.

  16. Scarlet Pumpernickel // December 28, 2010 at 4:36 PM  

    Great adaptation Pam. Congrats on the new Kindle. Don't you just love it? I have a Sony, but next time I'm asking for a Kindle. Loved you version of the classic Christmas Poem. Now if you can master the new phone, you'll be ready to go.

  17. Judith Keim // December 28, 2010 at 4:41 PM  

    Loved it, Pam! Let us know how you do with your new toy!! Happy New Year enjoying all those great books!

  18. Pamela Varnado // December 28, 2010 at 4:43 PM  

    Scarlett, mastering the smart phone is going to be a lot harder. Every time Sprint does an update it changes how the phone operates. Just when I figured out how to use it, they changed the layout. Go-figure.

    Oops, I made a typo with the word adaptation. That's what happens when I fail to have Mary proofread.

  19. Pamela Varnado // December 28, 2010 at 4:45 PM  

    Hey, Judy. I feel like it's been a while since I talked with you. Hope you're having a wonderful holiday season.

  20. Nightingale // December 28, 2010 at 5:59 PM  

    What a wonderful, fun adaptation, Pam! I thoroughly enjoyed reading your version of the Night Before christmas. And thanks for including HSN in your Kindle! I would be way out of my league with a Smart Phone, but I still wanted one. I got some strange presents this year!

  21. Mary Marvella // December 28, 2010 at 6:00 PM  

    well, Ms Pammie, such a poet! Gadgets are my bane! get good with the Kindle so you can help me.

  22. Pamela Varnado // December 28, 2010 at 6:05 PM  

    Linda, what did you get? The strangest think I received was a toaster oven from my son. Especially since he knows how much I hate those types of gifts. He did redeem himself when I opened the necklace and earrings he bought me.

  23. Pamela Varnado // December 28, 2010 at 6:06 PM  
    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
  24. Mary Marvella // December 28, 2010 at 6:21 PM  
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  25. Barbara Monajem // December 28, 2010 at 7:35 PM  

    LOL. Fun post, Pam. I'm beginning to think getting an e-reader as a gift is the best way to go... not because you don't have to pay for it, but because the decision-making has been done by someone else!!

  26. Pamela Varnado // December 28, 2010 at 7:55 PM  

    Barbara, the convenience of an e-reader can't be beat. Where else, except maybe a bulky laptop, can you load thousands of book and take them with you? I've just had my Kindle a few days and already I can't imagine myself without it when I'm traveling away from home.

  27. Tamara LeBlanc // December 28, 2010 at 8:33 PM  

    Pamela!!!!
    I LOVED the poem, so funny, so sweet, and very Christmasy. I think your version should be published.
    I missed you guys today.:(
    Im also flattered that you downloaded my book. You're the best critique partner ever...well, your in a tie with Momma hen and Connie, but you're all the best to me.
    I love you Pammy!!!
    I'm jelous of your Kindle. Have fun with it!
    Tamara

  28. Pamela Varnado // December 29, 2010 at 1:20 AM  

    Cyrano, thanks for the kind words. Hope everything is going well with you and tell Dusty and his family that I'm praying for them. Smooches!

  29. Josie // December 29, 2010 at 2:12 PM  

    Pam,
    So clever and so cute. I'm so tech-challenged. My DH bought me a Barnes & Noble Nook for Christmas, but we returned it. Why? See above.

  30. Tami Brothers // December 29, 2010 at 6:04 PM  

    Fun! Fun! Fun!

    Loved the poem, Pam!

    Thanks a ton for sharing it with us.

    Tami

  31. Pamela Varnado // December 29, 2010 at 6:59 PM  

    Joanne,

    Don't give up on technology. It's a trial and error process until you get it, and I assure you, you will.

  32. Pamela Varnado // December 29, 2010 at 7:00 PM  

    Tami, I'm glad you like the poem. I had such fun writing it.