Good morning, Edie! This brave woman has gone the self-publishing route for two books! You must read this blog and learn why I would call her generous, as well brave and tenacious!


A huge thank you to Mary Marvella for inviting me to blog at my favorite Pink Fuzzy place today. And thank you to the other Pink Fuzzy ladies who are always so welcoming!

I’ve written about more than one character who has a heart so full it puffs up like a balloon. That’s how I’ve felt for months now, and I swear my heart is actually getting bigger. I’ve self-published two books and one short story, and I didn’t do it alone. It took a global village. I’ve named names before from my own personal Wall of Heroines and a couple of Heroes. But I’d like to add reviewers to my global village.


Karin Tabke (who’s high on my Wall of Heroines) recently blogged at Magical Musings about having to go off-line and ignore her emails, stop commenting on blogs, and practically disappearing from Facebook. Why? Because she has deadlines and just can’t do it all.


Her deadlines are contracted, and my deadlines are self-imposed. Though my book comes first, it’s important for me to have an online presence. There are thousands of indie authors uploading their books every day. I need to get the word out about my books. Even so, I still can’t do it all.


I took a few forays into Kindle boards and Kindle Nation, and it was confusing and a bit scary, like driving in a strange city at night and running into a round-about. I’ve guest blogged on friends’ sites (a SMOOCH to Mary for having me here so often). I like blogging, and that works better for me.


Another way to get the word out is to send review requests to reviewers. So a HUGE thank you to reviewers. So far I’ve gotten either really good or great reviews for CATTITUDE and my newest book DEAD PEOPLE. It’s gratifying and a big relief.


We writers do a scary thing. We put our stories out there, and this is all so subjective. Not everyone likes the same stories. And it’s scarier for indie writers. We don’t have an agent or an editor backing us. Sure, I get great comments from my CPs and beta readers, but having people who don’t know me say they love my books… That’s a pretty good feeling.


My husband and I have a decorated tree with sparkly lights, and it’s like having a bit of magic in our family room. Every time a writer sits at the keyboard and make up sentences, it’s another kind of magic. And every time someone says they appreciate what we do, that’s another kind of sparkly light.


Besides Karin Tabke, another name on my Wall of Heroines is Dale Mayer. Dale is a single mom who’s raising four children and actually supporting them by her writing income. We all know what a miracle that is. She’s in my GIAM group, and her recaps make me look like a slacker. But she’s always positive and always ready to help another member out.


Dale is one of six remaining finalists in the RT/Kensington Writing With The Stars Contest. This is the third round, and the voting is on the blurbs. Of course, I think the best one is Dale’s. The winner gets a publishing contract, and I hope you’ll check out the blurbs and vote.


Who’s on your Wall of Heroines / Heroes?


Edie Ramer

http://www.edieramer.com

29 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // December 16, 2010 at 11:20 PM  

    Yep, Edie the kind of person I want to when I grow up, if I ever decide to.

    Mama was a hero for more reasons than I can tell here. The biggest reason was the way she took care of my daddy during the last years of his life.

    I have more, but I'll share later.

  2. Kimber Leszczuk. // December 16, 2010 at 11:28 PM  

    I followed the links posted here and these books sound great.

  3. Edie Ramer // December 16, 2010 at 11:50 PM  

    Mary, it takes a special kind of person to be a caretaker. I don't know if I could do it, though I'd try if I had to.

  4. Edie Ramer // December 16, 2010 at 11:51 PM  

    Kimber, thank you!

  5. Autumn Jordon // December 17, 2010 at 7:58 AM  

    Edie, Welocme back to the Fuzzies, and Kudos to you for taking the leap and getting your books out there. I know a few people who have done so and are doing very well.

    Besides reviewers, can you give us any other hints on getting your name out there?

  6. Edie Ramer // December 17, 2010 at 8:41 AM  

    Autumn, the Pink Fuzzy Slipper Writers are always so welcoming! Thank you.

    Except for blogging and reviews, I haven't done a lot of promo. I had a big Facebook debut party for Cattitude, with the help of Amy Atwell, and that was a success. But I published Dead People only a few months after that, and I thought it would get old to have another release party so soon. I think now that I was wrong, and I should have had one. I will do it for my next one.

    Also, there's a new thing that indie writers are doing, and that's #SampleSunday on Twitter. We put up an excerpt from our books and post a link. That started just last Sunday, and I had a small bump in sales through that. I talk about that on my How To Write Shop column this Monday.

    Last, yesterday I changed the price of Cattitude to 99 cents at Amazon. It's still shows that it's $2.99 and didn't go into effect yet. I'll leave it at 99 cents through Dec. for the holidays and see what will happen. I already lowered the price at Smashwords, which went into effect immediately, but I couldn't get into Barnes & Noble to change anything.

  7. Tamara LeBlanc // December 17, 2010 at 9:43 AM  

    Edie, I absolutely love this statement of yours, "Every time a writer sits at the keyboard and make up sentences, it’s another kind of magic."
    I truly feel that way...not in a conceited way, it's just that I feel so blessed to be able to do what I love!
    Writing is an activity that gives me such pleasure, and something so emotionally evocative must be magic.
    I applaud you for self publishing!!
    And I'll be looking for your books. Great covers by the way!
    When you self publish, how do you go about getting cover art done? Also, besides reviews, which I think is a fantastic idea, what else do you do to get the word out about your books?
    I'm published with Liquid Silver Books, and though my editor and the staff is behind me 100 percent, they can only do so much for each author. I've sent my novel to a few review sites(how many do you recommend?) and I give out business cards like a mad woman, but I'm not sure what else to do.
    Any suggestions?
    I wish you all the luck in the world Edie!
    Have a fabulous holiday and a healthy, happy and productive new year.
    Tamara LeBlanc

  8. Tamara LeBlanc // December 17, 2010 at 9:45 AM  

    Well Edie,
    I should have read the comments first, because you answered a lot of my questions all ready.
    I'm going o check out your blog for sure!
    Also, what's a Facebook party?
    Tamara

  9. Dale Mayer // December 17, 2010 at 10:51 AM  

    Hi Mary and Edie - what a great way to wake up! Thanks so much for the compliments and the promo.

    Edie you're one of my heroines! You've entered into the unknown that so many of us are scared to even contemplate - but not timidly like I would be - instead you're leading the charge! There's no doubt many more writers will be following when they figure out how to - Lol.

    Another heroine is Amy Atwell. She created much of our global village through the creation of GIAM. It's an amazing thing she's done and I'm so proud of all she continues to accomplish.

  10. Mona Risk // December 17, 2010 at 10:55 AM  

    Yeah Edie, for having the guts to self-published. I often wondered what it was like to be alone in the middle of an alien crowd and waving for people to come and stop and buy and read.

  11. Marilyn Brant // December 17, 2010 at 11:36 AM  

    Hi, Mary! Happy Friday ;).
    And, Edie, YOU are definitely on my wall of wonderful heroines in the writing world because you take time to be so supportive of everyone. Your warmth and kindness to your fellow writers just shines through... xo

  12. Edie Ramer // December 17, 2010 at 11:51 AM  

    Cyrano, Laura Morrigan does my covers, and I love her work. You can do them yourself if you're brave and not a technical klutz like I am. Dean Wesley Smith talks about his method in this blog.

    I mostly do reviews and blogs. I need to step up my promo, but I think the most important thing is to write the next great book.

    I feel the same way about the pleasure writing gives us. If we didn't have that, we wouldn't do it. We haven't chosen an easy route.

    You have a fabulous holiday and new year, too!

  13. Edie Ramer // December 17, 2010 at 11:54 AM  

    Cyrano, my Facebook debut party was an Event. You can click on Event on your page, and create what you want and send invites. I didn't send to my entire list, though perhaps I should have. I chose the people that I know well, even if it's just through the internet.

  14. Edie Ramer // December 17, 2010 at 11:56 AM  

    Dale, that's so sweet! You're making my heart expand.

    Amy is way up high on my list! She's amazing. And Mary is there too. We already know she's marvelous. :)

  15. Edie Ramer // December 17, 2010 at 11:58 AM  

    Mona, dive in to the self-publishing waters! Find out yourself. LOL It's okay if you don't swim right away. You won't drown. It's a learn-as-you-go experience.

  16. Edie Ramer // December 17, 2010 at 12:00 PM  

    Aw, Marilyn, right back at you! I'm so thrilled about all your success. And it's amazing that you find time to hop over here and comment. You are the best!

  17. Amy Atwell // December 17, 2010 at 12:46 PM  

    What a terrific post, Edie. I'm so grateful the internet allows writers to connect with each other. You've truly become one of my heroines because you braved those self-publishing waters. No form of publication is easy, but I'm so proud of your integrity--and Cattitude is a super book!

    Other heroines: Therese Walsh for sticking by her story when an agent asked for major revisions (she sold the story "as is" not long after!). Donna Caubarreaux for all she does for the writing community (Contest Divas and more). Author Angi Morgan for putting her health first and dropping 70+ pounds this past year--inspirational!

  18. Edie Ramer // December 17, 2010 at 3:38 PM  

    Amy, you and the Writing GIAM groups you created have had a huge impact for the better on so many lives. I'm certain you're on the Heroine list of many, many writers. You have a lot of good karma coming your way.

    And I agree so much about Therese and Donna. And Angi, of course. 70 pounds is amazing. I'm having a rough time losing 10.

  19. Pamela Varnado // December 17, 2010 at 6:08 PM  

    Edie, thanks for sharing some great advice. Self-publishing is scary because most writers don't know how the details. So kudos to you for giving it your all and finishing the process. I absolutely adore the cover of your book and wondered how you designed it. Is it a stock photo? If so, where did you find it?

  20. Edie Ramer // December 17, 2010 at 7:24 PM  

    Pamela, I love my cover, too. The first time I saw it, I thought Wow! Laura Morrigan is my cover artist. It's not a stock photo; it's an original by her.

  21. Tamara LeBlanc // December 17, 2010 at 10:23 PM  

    Edie,
    Thanks so much for answering all my questions!
    Have a wonderful evening!
    Tamara

  22. Mary Marvella // December 17, 2010 at 11:02 PM  

    Welcome, Marilyn! Don't be a stranger!

  23. Mary Marvella // December 17, 2010 at 11:03 PM  

    Good job, Edie!

  24. Edie Ramer // December 17, 2010 at 11:17 PM  

    Cyrano, it was my pleasure!

  25. Edie Ramer // December 17, 2010 at 11:21 PM  

    Mary, thanks!

  26. Mary Ricksen // December 19, 2010 at 1:44 PM  

    Sorry to be late. Welcome to a wonderful blog! I wish you the very best and I hope your self published books make a killing!

  27. Edie Ramer // December 19, 2010 at 6:04 PM  

    I wish you the very best and I hope your self published books make a killing!

    Mary, from your keyboard to God's computer.

    I wish you the very best too!

  28. Josie // December 20, 2010 at 9:23 PM  

    I'm late commenting, but thanks for the interesting and informative post, Edie. Best wishes on your self-publishing. I'm sure you'll do great.

  29. Edie Ramer // December 20, 2010 at 10:05 PM  

    Thanks, Joanne!