When my friend, Liz, was a child and very ill she says she awoke from a fevered sleep to find an angel seated at the edge of her bed.  Its face was human-like but the features were more angular than ours and silvery.  The rest of its body was luminous and seemed neither male nor female, but she remembers the eyes, green, and the reassuring feeling of being watched over.

You may think this divine visitation was the figment of a child’s fevered mind, or you may believe that she saw an angel.  I believe.  Once when I was asleep I heard a beloved voice call my name, a voice as familiar as my mother’s or husband’s and yet it was neither of them.  I think this was an angel and someday I will see and instantly recognize him as though meeting with an old friend, and understand that he has always been with me.
Angels are messengers of God and bearers of his comfort in a hurting world.  Sometimes they even intervene in our lives and lead us to safety, though not always.  When my 16-year-old niece Kristy was killed in a car accident some people at the scene said they saw a great ray of sunshine stream down from the sky and spill over the mangled car in a kind of holy benediction.  As though God wanted us to know that he saw and was winging Kristy’s spirit up to heaven in that wonderful light, enveloped in peace that passes anything we can imagine.

Were there angels with her?  I have no doubt of it.  Still we ask why God didn’t send an angel to prevent this tragedy, and so many others.  But it seems that why is not for us to know on this side of heaven.  Anymore than we can know why our first grandbaby,  Adam, so infinitely precious, was not somehow saved, but stillborn.
I have no answers, only the promise of God’s eternal love and presence.  And I am watching for angels, tuned to the whispery touch of unseen wings and those in human form.  God uses people, particularly those who have known grief, to minister to others.  If your heart seeks the light, you are never really alone.  If you yearn for comfort, keep watch, angels will come to you.  Remember, they can look like anybody, be anybody, young or old, can even be you.
 
Hebrews 13:2, “Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.”

15 comments

  1. Patrice // December 15, 2009 at 11:42 AM  

    Beth,
    That was a beautiful story and such a heart-warming post. Too lose two beloved family members at such an early age will test anyone's convictions, but you stand strong and your beliefs have helped you heal.
    May we all have angels guiding and watching over us.

  2. Pamela Varnado // December 15, 2009 at 11:52 AM  

    Thanks for sharing your enlightening experience, Beth. Like you I believe in angels. When my husband, who was in the military, was stationted in Savannah I drove every weekend from Atlanta to be with him. Usually I left right after work on Friday. Because I have a heavy foot on the gas pedal, I always listened and looked for the police. One night I fell asleep while driving and almost ran off the road. The only thing to save me was the loud sound of a police siren. It startled me awake just before I left the roadway. The amazing thing was that there wasn't a police car in sight. Neither were there any other cars around. The night was pitch black and I was alone. I believe that my guardian angel used the one thing that would instantly grab my attention. Because of my experience I know angels are ministering to us. We just have to be open to their existance.

  3. Shawna Thomas // December 15, 2009 at 12:40 PM  

    That was beautiful. I think it's normal to want to understand the 'why', but some things are beyond our understanding. That's what faith is for.

    Thank you for this heart-warming post.

  4. Beth Trissel // December 15, 2009 at 12:45 PM  

    Thanks Patrice. Wonderful story, Pam. Amazing.

  5. Beth Trissel // December 15, 2009 at 12:46 PM  

    So true, Lynne. Thanks.

  6. Debbie Kaufman // December 15, 2009 at 12:52 PM  

    I've had several moments where I was sure I was in the presence of an angel. I BELIEVE!!!

  7. Mary Marvella // December 15, 2009 at 2:06 PM  

    Thanks, Beth,

    I think some people we know are angels in human form. When Mama passed away everyone, including the preacher, told me she was an angel. (Tears flowing already here)

    Angels touch people's hearts and she touched many.

  8. Mary Ricksen // December 15, 2009 at 3:49 PM  

    Faith is a strong force. It sustains us and gives us a reason to go on when things are just too sad to bear.
    And when it passes, we can look forward to the next good thing to happen!
    Lovely post Beth, your strong faith is heartwarming.

  9. Nightingale // December 15, 2009 at 5:04 PM  

    I write about a different kind of angels but I definitely believe in the kind you wrote about, Beth. Thanks for an uplifting post.

  10. Beth Trissel // December 15, 2009 at 6:01 PM  

    Thanks all. I think many people from all walks of life believe in and have experienced the presence of ministering angels in various forms. Mary, I believe that about your mother. Some people are.

  11. Beth Trissel // December 15, 2009 at 6:01 PM  

    Thanks all. I think many people from all walks of life believe in and have experienced the presence of ministering angels in various forms. Mary, I believe that about your mother. Some people are.

  12. Judith Keim // December 16, 2009 at 7:26 AM  

    Thanks, Beth, for a wonderful post. I, too, believe in angels and have had experiences that reinforce that belief. As you say, one simply has to be open to the possibility to realize why some things happen in the most unusual ways

  13. Autumn Jordon // December 16, 2009 at 8:02 AM  

    Oh, Beth what a lovely and heartfilled post. I'm so sorry to hear of your losses, but like you I believe in God's wisdom and compassion.

    I was told once that if you ask three times for your angel to reveal his or name to you right before you fall to sleep, they will reveal thier name. I've done this. And yes, my angel responded in a whisper. When I'm upset and in need of guidance, I will speak to him using his name.

    Is it true? I think so. I know I feel better knowing he is there with God's word.

    (((HUGS))
    AJ

  14. Josie // December 16, 2009 at 8:36 AM  

    Beautiful post, Beth. My mom is a firm believer in angels. Thanks for sharing.

  15. Beth Trissel // December 16, 2009 at 8:52 AM  

    Thanks Joanne, and Autumn for sharing that. wow. I never heard that about angels revealing their names before, Autumn. I'll bet after people read this there will be many repeating that request at bedtime.