(Linda Nightingale and Tony-Paul de Vissage continue their tete-a-tete with the vampires in their literary lives.)

Tony-Paul: Tonight, we’re delving into vampire origins a little.

Linda: Since so much difference apparently exists among you, let’s take the time to explain your origins. Marek, as you seem to be the one everyone is curious about, please go first. Then Domingo and Damien, and lastly my darling Brits.

Marek: My origin is really simple if you think about it—and apparently no one has. I’m a product of evolution, Mankind’s second species. (glances at Lucien) I’m assuming that makes your kind the—ahem—third species. While Neanderthal was crawling around in his caves, my people were taking to the trees, becoming nocturnal hunters, and evolving wings to help them hunt. Our blood-craving is simply a need to replenish the nutrients we lack because of we don’t get the sun…that’s what humans don’t understand, and that why we keep ourselves secret from them.

Damien: Let it be said here and now, that none of us hide. Keeping one’s identity secret for self-preservation is in no way, shape, or form hiding. Is it, ami?

Domingo: Pues, no.. After all, discretion is the better part of staying immortal.

Tristan: So you evolved. Interesting. Evolution, (he points at Marek) and (points at himself) and Nature at work with the human species. Not so different after all. What of your family? If you have one?

Marek: Aventurieri have castes and a very strict ruling government. My caste is the assassin clan of the warriors, the Strigoi. In the States, however, I go by the surname Stryker. My family supplied our Prince’s executioners. Unfortunately or fortunately as the case may be, my brothers—I have twin brothers, sixteen years younger than I and I have a sister who is twenty-four years younger. No jokes about aventurieri virility, please! My brothers, sister, cousin, and I were exiled, and our branch of the family no longer is spoken of in Transylvania.

Tristan: I’ve heard that you’re heterochromic… (steps closer to Marek, and before anyone can stop him, lifts up the eyepatch, peering into his eyes. Marek sighs and doesn’t move.)

Domingo (bristles slightly): What is this heterochromic? We’re all hetero—

Damien (lays a hand on his sleeve): Calm down, copain. It just means his eyes are different colors.

Marek (patiently): Satisfied?

Tristan (replaces the patch and nods) Very. You’ve one green eye and one blue. An oddity within an oddity.

Marek: (dryly) So flattering. My people believe the leader of the clan must have a physical difference. My eyes are mine and that won me the ghidaj-ship of the assassin clan. Now, please stop staring! That’s why I hide one of my eyes. What makes your species so different? How do you chose your leaders?

Lucien: As Chancellor of our ruling Council Les Elus

Damien: Les Elus? A French name for a British council?

Tristan: There are many nationalities that comprise the Vampyre.

Domingo: Un Nacion Unidos de vampiros? I didn’t hear anyone asking us to join. (to Damien) Amigo, we’ve been slighted!

Lucien (impatiently): Can we get back to the subject? Thirteen of the oldest and most powerful of the Vampyre comprise Les Elus. Age is of less consequence than power, intellect and discretion. Since we are immortal, it is rare a new member is chosen—in a strict, secret ritual. If you have heard the legends, we are the fabled Illuminati. (gives Domingo a condescending stare) As to an invitation, you wouldn’t be eligible. You aren’t even of our race, Domingo.

Domingo (takes a deep breath): Pues, as far as I'm concerned, you're just uno garden-variety vampiro, Senor Lucien-el-High-and-Mighty!

Lucien (laughs): You don’t quite have my title right, but we’ll let you slide with high-and-mighty.

Morgan: We are a mutation by a potent but fragile virus. Outside the body, it dies instantly. The virus is passed in a ritual where the victim is drained then fed the vampire’s blood. A painful transformation follows and what emerges is an immortal killer.

Tony-Paul: Unfortunately, so true. However, I’d like to add that all of you have shown Linda and myself much different faces, and tomorrow, we’ll conclude our interview with a look at that more gentle emotion…vampire love.

(Tomorrow, everyone lets down his hair a little (as if it wasn’t already long enough) and reveals that special someone who looked past the fangs and saw the man he once was.
ALSO: WHO IS THE HOTTEST ? Lucien? Damien? Morgan? Vote for your Fave. Winner will receive a Black Swan coffee cup, courtesy of Linda. Tony-Paul, being a newbie author, has nothing to offer at this point but his brilliant Creole smile!)


PHOTOGRAPHS: 1) Marek; 2) Damien; 3) Domingo.

14 comments

  1. Patrice // December 18, 2009 at 2:01 PM  

    What an exciting post! Very cool.
    Lucien gets my vote as the hottest vamp!
    Look forward to tomorrow's post.

  2. susan // December 18, 2009 at 2:05 PM  

    Marek is the one I pick. He fits what I would imagine about this type of book. susan L.

  3. Nightingale // December 18, 2009 at 2:21 PM  

    Thanks for voting in the Vampire Hunk Contest!

  4. Mary Ricksen // December 18, 2009 at 2:35 PM  

    Domingo, yummy!He's the hunkiest!

  5. Toni V.S. // December 18, 2009 at 3:48 PM  

    It's three for three! We need soem tie-breakers!

  6. Scarlet Pumpernickel // December 18, 2009 at 4:43 PM  

    As I said yesterday, just leave mine beside the fireplace, I don't have a Christmas tree. Doesn't matter which, they're all yummy! Great interview with the guys. Can't wait to hear about Vampire Love.

  7. Mona Risk // December 18, 2009 at 4:58 PM  

    I chose Marek. He's cute and doesn't scare me.

  8. Nightingale // December 18, 2009 at 5:51 PM  

    Thanks Patrice! My Brits are losing this round. :-)

  9. robynl // December 18, 2009 at 7:25 PM  

    Marek gets my vote. Wahoo!!!

  10. Nightingale // December 18, 2009 at 9:00 PM  

    Should we wait until tomorrow...since I'm holding out for more votes? :-) I'll get my son to draw the winner. Because I might be prejudiced. ha ha

  11. SiNn // December 18, 2009 at 9:18 PM  

    umm they all r hotbutt im partial to the one blue onegreen eyed man is uhh hot so im going with Marek

  12. Nightingale // December 19, 2009 at 10:32 AM  

    Sorry I didn't announce the winner yesterday. Would you believe it, with a memory like mine, I forgot!
    Drum Roll. And the winner of the Black Swan mug is:

    Judy

    We drew from all who commented.
    My email is Nitethyme2003@yahoo.com. Judy please contact me

  13. Mary Marvella // December 19, 2009 at 12:02 PM  

    I didn't make it here yesterday 'cause I was on the run and I didn't see the interview when I visited early. I like Lucien, the badest! Sorry, Morgan, you have been neglecting me for Beth!

  14. Josie // December 20, 2009 at 9:03 AM  

    I'm with you, Mona. Marek is the one.