Do you remember your favorite kid book you read all by yourself? Mine was The Boxcar Children, by Gertrude Chandler Warner. My first grade teacher read it to us. I loved that book. In the second grade I found a copy in the school library and read it over and over again.

What made me love it so? It was about children, brothers and sisters, who were on their own. I wanted them to be safe, I loved the way they turned an abandoned boxcar into a home and looked after each other. They were like the kids in the stories I had made up about children who did adult things and did them well. These kids found odd jobs, used broken plates and dishes from the dump, and were grateful for each other. They nursed each other when they were sick.

Should I do a spoiler and tell how the story ended? Not yet! I will tell you that if you get the book to read to your children or grandchildren, you will cry with the kids and laugh with them. You won't wait each might to read only the next pages. You will finish it once the children are asleep.

Did I ever take it apart as a reader? Nope! Today they might not have been able to keep running without detection. There were likely holes in the plot then but I believe when I read. I always have. I loved the brave, caring, and smart children. I believed because I wanted to think I would be as smart. I was 7 years old!

Want to know why I sat through an old Benji movie, not once but twice, last weekend?

Tell us about your favorite kid book you read by yourself.

16 comments

  1. Mary Ricksen // December 16, 2009 at 1:10 PM  

    Nothing like the Black Stallion stories by Walter Farley. I was glued till the end. Dreaming it was me in each story.

  2. Mary Marvella // December 16, 2009 at 1:24 PM  

    You are so right, Mary R! Remember Black Beauty, My Friend Flicker, and Fury on television and in movies? (I was scared of horses but I could pretend!)

  3. Beth Trissel // December 16, 2009 at 4:17 PM  

    Oh my. My favorite book now and forever that has made enormous impressions on me is The Lion the Witch and The Wardrobe by CS Lewis.
    I'm still looking for Narnia.

  4. Mary Marvella // December 16, 2009 at 4:47 PM  

    Funny, I didn't find that book as a kid but I read it to my daughter. I read it all in one night, of course. Even without reading it, I still had stories in my head about such a place where children were older were princes and princesses!

  5. Pamela Varnado // December 16, 2009 at 6:18 PM  

    My favorite children's book is James and the Giant Peach by Ronald Dahl. I read it to my own children and they fell in love with it also. Even today when I read the story it brings a smile to my face.

  6. Barbara Monajem // December 16, 2009 at 7:34 PM  

    My list would be very, very long... I guess, though, the Swallows and Amazons books by Arthur Ransome were tops for me, as well as Edith Nesbit's stories such as Five Children and It and The Story of the Amulet.

    Beth, I loved the CS Lewis children's books, too. And Pam, I didn't read Roald Dahl until I was an adult, but he did write some great books, didn't he?

  7. Mary Marvella // December 16, 2009 at 7:54 PM  

    Hey, Pam. That's a book I missed. I'll yell to you for a reminder when I have a grandkid. What is the age level? I might look at it for the kids I tutor.

  8. Mary Marvella // December 16, 2009 at 7:56 PM  

    I missed Barbara's books, too. Hmmm, how did I manage that? My daughter loved most of the Ramona books and anything Judy Blume.

  9. Scarlet Pumpernickel // December 16, 2009 at 8:43 PM  

    I guess Black Beauty was the first book that actually hooked me as a reader. Our teacher read it aloud a few pages everyday after lunch. I cheated and got a copy from the library and finished it before the class. I loved that story. Thanks for making me remember that!

  10. Mary Marvella // December 16, 2009 at 9:55 PM  

    You are welcome. By the second grade, I found copies of teacher read books and read them ahead. I'm a compulsive reader.

  11. Judith Keim // December 17, 2009 at 8:39 AM  

    Mary, I loved the Walter Farley Black Stallion series, too! Son of Black Stallion, all of them. Like you, I wished I was right there with them. I don't know if kids are so into them anymore, but I'd read and reread them...

  12. Autumn Jordon // December 17, 2009 at 8:59 AM  

    I loved this book. I believe a movie was made in the sixites based on the story. Loved it too.

    I remember a book I read in seventh grade. Today, I guess it might be considered YA romance. Horses, boys and a heroine with a big problem. WHo knew years later I would be writing romance.

    I loved it so much, but couldn't keep it out of the library more than 2 weeks at a time, so I started typing a copy. I know a big no no, but I was twelve and knew no better. Only got the first chapter typed. ;>(

    I tried to find the book in the internet age, but so far I'm unsuccessful. SIGH

    Thanks for th memory.

  13. Josie // December 17, 2009 at 3:32 PM  

    Favorite kid book I read as I child...gosh, Mary, I'm there are several but I can't remember. I must be getting old.
    Great post.

  14. Mary Marvella // December 19, 2009 at 12:08 PM  

    Judy, so many girls, and boys, too, I guess, loved the black stallion. I wish more kids would read book like that but do adults guide them to do so?

  15. Mary Marvella // December 19, 2009 at 12:09 PM  

    Autumn, Linda had a notebook of lines she loved by her fav authors. I'm telling on her since she didn't stop by.

  16. Mary Marvella // December 19, 2009 at 12:11 PM  

    Joanne, I'm just glad you stopped by. I thought about my kids books because I'm now tutoring 2 boys and wondering if I could introduce them to some of the wonderful old books.