When I last left the story I was wondering if air in the IV line would kill me. Well it won't, it has to be a very large amount of air. Little bubbles and air won't hurt you. Now the picture is my husband taking pictures. Yes I know you all are thinking, WHAT? Is she crazy? No just sick, as you can see I am reaching for the bucket. I thought about the frying pan again, but he was behaving so well. The man who never did a thing without cajoling, was worried and scared for me. He washed my back, my hair and gave me the bed bath the nurses never give anymore. I was shocked as he sat rubbing my head and I did my best not to smack him, because he meant well. Far be it from me to discourage him being there for me. Because I was so sick, it touched me.
But the camera, I wanted to hurt him. With some kind of stick or something.
I made the mistake of sending this picture to my cousin, who promptly put my head in a video that was annoying. I'll get her back some other time.
Anyways back to the hospital.
Finally after giving me other stuff that did nothing they gave me Compazine and some strong pain killer, morphine I think. It took away some of the pain and nausea. I was so grateful for the relief of feeling so bad. I slept for three days, not eating and only getting up to go to the bathroom. Dragging those IV things is a PIA. They only had to change my IV site once, but my veins were all hiding and it was a painful and long process which left me with golf ball sized lumps all over my arms. Finally they found one and it was back to sleep.
Now mind you Chris is back at the cabin. No TV, no computer, nothing. I think he learned to appreciate me on a new level this trip. He needs me. He can't make it without me. Hmmmmmm... There was a time that would thrill me, now I wanna puke even more. The man cannot take care of himself. But he is good when he has to be. So it's a toss up. Yes, he loves me too. He tells me so. No no flowers, but my dishwasher has been repaired oodles of times. And he does things in his own way.
They kept waking me up to give me medication and they were so nice. This brand new hospital had 23 beds of which two were now taken. Me and some poor old guy who screamed his head off all day and nite, I had to close my door he yelled so bad. Turns out he had what I had and was as most men are a whusses with pain. I wanted to scream but the worst I did was pant, rock and moan quietly. In hindsight I should have yelled. All the nurse said to me was to stop hyperventilating, him they helped just to shut him up. Hmmmmm...
Chris visited too much, yes that's what I said, too much. He was bored, hence the camera. He also had some need to keep a record of my sickness. I have no clue why. His smile for the picture comments made me more ill. I just wanted to sleep.
There were two very nice nurses who rolled me outside to see my love muffin doggie, Junior. He was so glad to see me, lots of dog kisses and hugs...
It seemed like forever and one day rolled into the next so that I didn't know the time or date sometimes. I didn't care either. They would bring me trays of chemical tasting jello, broth that tased like dishwater and a small can of sprite. Yuk! Never touched the stuff. Even today I am still on a very bland diet. Slowly I felt better, enough to leave and see my regular doctor. Looking forward to that, he never even remembers my name. I feel so safe with my MD, NOT. He is so darn busy he couldn't remember all of the patients he has. Some 3,000 he says. I have to tell him the same stuff every time I see him.
So time to go home! Or at least back to the cabin. The weather was still cold, which I normally relish. But being sick and weak I was extra cold and when we got to the cabin the electricity was out. Ouch! Cold and dark, thank God for the fire.
What else could go wrong. I never should have uttered those words.
I slept some more and watched the leaves as their beautiful myriad colors changed the landscape into a mystical place that I find the peace I always look for in. The reason I go to NC is because it's so wonderful. In the town of Bryson City you step back into the past. My favorite thing, loving time travel, is the past. It's so quiet and I am reminded of the beautiful pictures that my friend Beth Trissel posts of her home. There is just something so special about the mountains. There the past weaves tales that writers share with us. The future weaves itself.
While I was in the hospital and people called I was too tired to answer. Now my cell phone is not getting any reception!!! NOoooooo! My last link with family and friends is useless, unless we go to town. I knew I shouldn't have said those words. Was that it? Were my three touches with bad luck over. I'm not gonna go back and count just in case.
So tomorrow I go to the doctors to try and figure out what's wrong with me. Although I feel a lot better now.

WITCHYS WIKKED GRAPHIX

Where I spent the rest of my vacation.

Yes I wanted to go walk in the woods and commune with nature, yes I wanted to see the sights in Cherokee and go to the shops, buy some fudge, take a picture with an Indian Chief. You know with one of the guys who looks like the real thing but when he talks he's from Brooklyn. But my time over and we had to go home till next year. So I am hoping for better luck on our next trip to North Carolina and the Great Smoky Mountains. Mystical as it looks, really!

WITCHYS WIKKED GRAPHIX

The nurses were very nice they all said goodbye. They had a bunch of people sick with this bacterial virus. No one gave me a clue how I got it. But I want you all to know I have a new feeling of empathy for those who have stomach problems. The poor people on chemotheraphy, I just can't tell you how awful a hurting stomach and nausea can be. It's relentless. You can't think because you are too sick too. So I send this blog out to all of those of you who have ever had a stomach virus of any kind. God bless you and may it never happen again. Give my a buckeye, break out the crystals, whatever it takes. I never want to feel like that again, no way, ever!

Now lastly I would like to say this. It was about three days ago that my DH was walking through the house naked. Now he ain't bad for his age. I recalled him wiping my forehead with a damp cloth, washing my back and hair and something came over me. Suddenly! I kinda started to look at him like I did when we were twenty. Gosh he was hot. And then he walked up to me, turned and farted in my direction.

What the hell was I thinking.


WITCHYS WIKKED GRAPHIX


My advise to all of you!



WITCHYS WIKKED GRAPHIX
WITCHYS WIKKED GRAPHIX



















18 comments

  1. Jianne Carlo // November 4, 2009 at 9:09 AM  

    Oh gosh,

    It sounds like a horrible vacation, but at least you had nice nurses and a wonderful, caring DH to take care of you. I didn't know they allowed dogs in hospitals. I know Junior's visit must have warmed your heart.

    Good luck with the doctor's appointment and keep us posted,

    Jianne

  2. Pamela Varnado // November 4, 2009 at 9:28 AM  

    I'm glad you're feeling better, but this has been one hell-of-a-vacation for you, hasn't it? The good thing is that you had your DH by your side.

    Did you ever discover how you contracted the virus? It sounds really nasty.

  3. Mary Ricksen // November 4, 2009 at 11:59 AM  

    They had no idea how I got it. Just lucky I guess!

  4. Toni V.S. // November 4, 2009 at 12:08 PM  

    So glad you're recovering now. It's also good you had someone who cared even if he was somewhat---shall we say inept? Loving but inept, yes. When I was down with salmonella, it was just me and the "Throne." Continue to get well!

  5. Patrice // November 4, 2009 at 12:33 PM  

    Oh Mary,
    What a nightmare. Thank God, it's over and hopefully never to be repeated. Take care, and get back to your writing! Build your lovely world of dreams.

  6. Linda Swift // November 4, 2009 at 2:02 PM  

    Mary, you have my sympathy. I am a veteran of two bouts with C diff colitis, caused by taking antibiotics. coping with digestive tract diseases ain't for sissies!
    Linda

  7. Beth Trissel // November 4, 2009 at 2:31 PM  

    Good heavens, Mary. Thank heavens your hubby didn't get sick too! This just sounds appalling. I've had some wretched stomach illnesses in my life but never one that couldn't be eased with whatever they put in those IV's, and never with so much pain. You poor thing.

  8. Mary Ricksen // November 4, 2009 at 4:02 PM  

    I appreciate all of your comments. And you are right Toni, someone caring helps, just not at the time. (grin)
    Thanks for the good wishes, I feel a lot better but I sure wish my vacation next time is less of a calamity. Thanks Linda, no one could understand without feeling it huh?
    Beth, Patrice, Pam, I hope you never feel like that!

  9. P.L. Parker // November 4, 2009 at 4:19 PM  

    Mry, how totally awful. I've been home sick for about a week with an upper respiratory infection and my husband has been terrific. I love being waiting on. I deserve it.
    Hope you are feeling better.

  10. Hywela Lyn // November 4, 2009 at 5:44 PM  

    Hi Mary

    Just dropping in to say I hope you're feeling better now - what a way to spend a vacation. Thank goodness you had Junior to help you get over it! (Oh and your hubby of course. LOL)

    I think you're amazing, it's not many people who could go through all that and still retain their sense of humour. *Sigh* What a waste of a romantic vaction in the mountains though, poor you.

    Hugs
    Lyn

  11. Skhye // November 4, 2009 at 5:46 PM  

    LOL, Mary! You should write comedy. I had a 14-hr hurling stomach thing once. Dear God! I never ever hurled so violently. I hope you didn't have that nasty bug. I feel for you. Do report you have abandoned your throne. ;) For the record, Lyme Disease doesn't involve vomiting...

  12. Josie // November 4, 2009 at 7:37 PM  

    Well, Mary, this was quite a story. You should really think of having it published. The picture of the bathroom/toilet was hysterical.

  13. Mary Marvella // November 4, 2009 at 8:22 PM  

    Mary R, I tried not to laugh at your situation, but you were so funny! You do have a way with a story. I had planned to skim through it. I couldn't! I enjoyed reading this. So sorry you were so sick!

  14. Traci // November 4, 2009 at 8:33 PM  

    Mary, girl - lolol. I am glad that you are finally feeling better, but sorry you missed your vacation. What a memory, lol

  15. Helen Hardt // November 4, 2009 at 10:47 PM  

    Mary, is it horrible that I laughed at your post? I agree with Skhye, you should write comedy. I'm so sorry you were so ill, and I'm glad you're on the mend. Hang in there, hon!

  16. Unknown // November 5, 2009 at 10:44 AM  

    Oh, man, Mary. Never fun getting sick on vacation. You told the story with flare!! I think you should start writing comedy.

    Glad you're better!!

    xox, Piks

  17. Barbara Monajem // November 5, 2009 at 2:20 PM  

    Thank you for the rest of the story. And the pic of the toilet! LOL. I hope you are much, MUCH better now.

  18. Scarlet Pumpernickel // November 5, 2009 at 8:26 PM  

    Mary,
    Glad you're feeling better. Sorry your vacation was ruined! You will have to use it in a book so it won't go to waste! LOL! Bet he wouldn't have done that if he'd know what you were thinking! LOL