Rx For Trust is the first medical romance in the Doctor’s Order series and will be released by The Wild Rose Press on December 4, 2009. The story’s theme revolves around a famous saying by Walter Scott: “Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive.” Walter Scott.

Contest Awards: First Place in Central Ohio Ignite the Flame; Second Place in Heart of Denver, The Molly; Third Place in FTHRW Golden Gateway.

Short Synopsis:
Olivia Crane is a psychiatrist at Cincinnati University Hospital. She is also a woman with a troubled past and secrets by the bucket-load. Dr. Luc George, the French psychiatrist, she loved ten years ago, detests secrets. All hell breaks loose when Luc strolls into her office, with a confident smile and a perceptive eye, determined to rekindle their relationship and threatening to unravel the secrets of her thorny past. Can Luc win Olivia’s trust and love before her inner fears destroy their second chance at happiness?

Excerpt:

Fine.” Luc raised both hands in a conciliatory gesture. “But I am stunned by this situation. Help me understand you. We dated for a year. I loved you. Why did you not trust me?”

Loved. He used the past tense. Even if his love had survived for ten years, she’d killed it with her confession. The sadness underlying his question went straight to her heart. She dropped back into her chair, rubbing her forehead to lessen the tension.

Why did he have to linger over the painful past?

Luc touched her hand and enfolded it in his large one. “Olivia, you are a psychiatrist. You know you can’t bury your past forever. Not when you have a teenage daughter. At some point, you will have to deal with it. Can you please tell me why you hid your daughter from me?”

“Why can’t you understand?” She snatched her hand from his and exhaled, wishing she had a magic formula to erase her bitter past. “When I was a student, I was still hiding her from everybody at med school.” Resting her head against the back of the chair, she closed her eyes. “I told you I was terrified for her safety. Melissa is unfortunately the mirror image of her father. I was afraid that he’d find out he has a daughter and hurt us both.”

“Did he ever threaten you?”

Olivia blinked and struggled to suppress her bitterness. Threaten was putting it mildly. “He told me to ‘get rid of it’ when I said I was pregnant. And he got upset when I protested.”

“How upset?” Luc punched the palm of his left hand with his fist.

Feeling her control slipping under his scrutiny, she turned her head.

“Did he hit you?”

She didn’t answer. But he must have read the humiliating truth in her eyes.

“Mon Dieu. I wish I had known. I would have killed this monster. Is that the reason you turned away from me?”

She bit her lip, loathe to tell him how much she’d cried after he left. “Listen, we dated on and off during that year, but you were going back to France, and I wanted to concentrate on my career. Why would we start a long-distance relationship? Besides, I couldn’t trust anyone. Any man after...” Shaking her head, she averted her gaze. Luc was far too perceptive. “I was too frightened.”

“And you still are. You sacrificed a lot because of your inner fear. Don’t you think you need help, Dr. Crane? You need to learn to trust people again.”

“I’m fine now. When Melissa started high school, I introduced her to my boss and colleagues. I’m very proud of her.” She stood to signify the end of this conversation that had drained her.

Damn it. She didn’t need a shrink. After sampling his kisses last night, she roused to a surprising reality. She wanted him again. She wanted her French lover who lavished her with pleasure and tenderness during steamy nights.

His eyes narrowed, Luc crossed his arms over his chest. “But you still have not told your daughter the truth.” The archetypal psychiatrist, he followed the same line of questions.

Irritation flickered through her, and she struggled not to shout at him. “That’s not your problem.” The minute she’d confided in him, he tried to impose his views. “You see why I couldn’t tell you my secret? I didn’t want anyone interfering and destroying my daughter’s peace of mind.”


Rx For Trust is based on the true story of a friend paralyzed by fear for most of her life. To protect her child, an abused woman distorted the truth and buried it as deep as possible. With great effort, she managed to build a successful career for herself and sacrificed love and marriage to create a happy family atmosphere for her child. Life is good in spite—or maybe because—of the few lies that embellish the painful past and ugly truth. But what if the bubble bursts open and …

Far from being a dark story, Rx FOR TRUST is a sweet and spicy medical romance that will make you smile, laugh and cry.

• Do you know women who had the courage to escape domestic violence? Were they able to pick up the pieces and move on with their lives?

22 comments

  1. Judith Keim // November 20, 2009 at 8:27 AM  

    Mona, your new book sounds like another winner! Congratulations! Very difficult for survivors of abuse to carry on. Sounds like your heroine is just that tough.

  2. Mona Risk // November 20, 2009 at 8:46 AM  

    Judy, my new book is based on a true story, but it's so difficult to describe feelings we haven't experienced, especially feelings on such a sensitive subject. I left the dark details in the backstory, while the actual story is fun.

  3. P.L. Parker // November 20, 2009 at 8:49 AM  

    Good blurb Mona. Congratulations and good luck with sales.

  4. Linda Swift // November 20, 2009 at 9:21 AM  

    I enjoyed this excerpt, Mona. I wish you success with the book and the books to follow. Linda

  5. Mona Risk // November 20, 2009 at 10:53 AM  

    Thanks PL, Glad you enjoyed the blurb.

  6. Mona Risk // November 20, 2009 at 10:53 AM  

    Hi Linda, I am glad you like the excerpt. Thank you.

  7. Beth Trissel // November 20, 2009 at 12:01 PM  

    Mona, I didn't even realize you had this book coming out! Sounds excellent. Congrats!

  8. Mona Risk // November 20, 2009 at 12:28 PM  

    Thank you, Beth. Mark your calendar. December 4 is my big day.

  9. Author Roast and Toast // November 20, 2009 at 12:30 PM  

    I can't wait to read this, I'm so looking forward to it.
    Each one just gets better and better Mona, you're on your way up!!!!d

  10. Mona Risk // November 20, 2009 at 1:07 PM  

    Thank you Mary. I know I enjoy reading Rx For Trust again and again. Luc, my hero, is the perfect gentleman to die for. So gallant anmd so romantic.

  11. Cate Masters // November 20, 2009 at 1:44 PM  

    Congrats on your upcoming release, Mona! And all those awards, too! Kudos.

  12. Mona Risk // November 20, 2009 at 2:11 PM  

    Thank you Cate.

  13. Mary Marvella // November 20, 2009 at 2:36 PM  

    MOna, this story sounds wonderful! It's on my list of must haves!

  14. Mona Risk // November 20, 2009 at 2:40 PM  

    Mary, you made my day. Thank you.

  15. Paisley Kirkpatrick // November 20, 2009 at 5:14 PM  

    Waving from snowy Sierra Mountains, Mona. Actually my younger daughter was in a violent situation, but he never hit her. He knew if we ever found out he'd touched her he wouldn't survive. Yes, she has pulled her life together and is happily married, a great job and owns her own home. The thing that pleased me is that when she went for counseling, they told her they could tell she came from a supportive family that was why she was doing so well and was able to put the past in the past.

  16. Mona Risk // November 20, 2009 at 5:25 PM  

    Paisley, I am so happy your daughter is doing well. The family support is the most important thing that helps the victim as I noticed in my friends' cases and now in my book. Thank you stopping by Paisley.

  17. Josie // November 20, 2009 at 5:32 PM  

    Mona,
    You have a beautiful, touching story here. Much luck and many sales.

  18. Nightingale // November 20, 2009 at 8:07 PM  

    Mona, can't wait for the release. The series should be a real hit.

  19. Barbara Monajem // November 20, 2009 at 8:29 PM  

    Luc sounds like a wonderful, perceptive, determined hero -- exactly what Olivia needs. Best of luck with this story, Mona.

  20. Pamela Varnado // November 20, 2009 at 10:55 PM  

    Good luck with your book. It sounds really interesting and I love reading stories where people win over abuse.

  21. Autumn Jordon // November 21, 2009 at 12:41 AM  

    Ah, Mona, these types of emotional stories hit home closer than you know. I enjoy the exerpt and I know I'll enjoy the book. Wishing you MEGA sales.

    AJ

  22. Margaret Tanner // November 21, 2009 at 2:05 AM  

    Hi Mona,
    Great excerpt. I like the sounds of your heroine. It certainly must be difficult for survivors of abuse,to carve out a new life for themselves.