A Day with The FBI

Posted by Scarlet Pumpernickel | 11:06 PM | , , , , | 6 comments »


This summer I had the pleasure of spending a day with the FBI at Quantico. It was easily one of the most exciting things I have ever done. You see, I write romantic suspense and this was right up my alley! We were allowed to go to the firing range and the agents showed us how to shoot. That's right we were allowed to shoot real guns. What type guns you ask? What kind of guns do you think they hauled out for a bunch of romance writers? Nope, your wrong, they knew we were serious about our work and they were proud to show off theirs. We were instructed on the proper way to shoot a Glock, a shotgun, a Tommy Gun and a modern machine gun the numbers of which escapes me at the moment. Holding an actual Tommy Gun and being allowed to shoot it was a thrill! The agent brought these guns out of retirement just so we could shoot them. For a moment I could feel Elliot Ness standing beside me as I held the gun and fired it toward the target. How was I able to experience this amazing day? It was easy, I'm a member of KOD, that's Kiss of Death, RWA's Mystery and Suspense Online chapter and this was a part of their pre-conference tour at RWA National this year! Did you go? Are you a member of KOD? If you aren't gosh, just look what your missing! If you were there, please comment to tell us what you enjoyed most about the pre-conference tour! If you'd like more info on KOD click on the title above, it has a link!

6 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // November 26, 2009 at 11:25 PM  

    You shoulda heard Scarlet talking about that experience! She was excited!

  2. Barbara Monajem // November 27, 2009 at 10:50 AM  

    Heh. I didn't go to the KOD tour this year, but I went a few years ago and got to shoot a gun. It was some kind of handgun, and it was definitely a worthwhile experience. KOD tours are a lot of fun.

  3. Mary Marvella // November 27, 2009 at 5:54 PM  

    Deadeye Barbara!

  4. Judith Keim // November 28, 2009 at 9:10 AM  

    It sounds fabulous, Scarlet! I'd love to do that! I'm a member of KOD, which is a great group, but I wasn't able to make it to DC...I think it's great that the FBI knows about the group and how serious we take our writing

  5. Beth Trissel // November 28, 2009 at 12:14 PM  

    Wow Scarlet! How kewl is that???

  6. Mary Ricksen // November 28, 2009 at 3:18 PM  

    I never heard if it before. Scarlet that sounds like a blast! I hope you had a great time. My husband has guns but I don't touch them.