I like sweet potatoes, but I don't care for the recipes that make them even sweeter - such as the kind where marshmallows are melted on top, or where they're mashed with brown sugar. Just a matter of taste, obviously... Anyway, if you don't want your sweet potatoes too sweet, this recipe is just great. It can be eaten with turkey at Thanksgiving, or as a separate meal if you use enough sausage. Warning: all quantities are approximate, so adjust them according to taste.

2 or 3 large sweet potatoes

Pork or turkey sausage, anything from a half pound to a pound. I usually use breakfast sausage, but I've heard Italian sausage works well. If I can't find the sausage meat in bulk, I squeeze it out of the casings.

Butter or oil

1 onion,  3 or 4 celery stalks, 1 green and 1 red bell pepper, all diced

Parsley, chopped.

Bread crumbs, the coarse kind used for stuffings and dressings, or you can make your own with fresh or stale bread and add salt, pepper, sage and other herbs to taste.

Bake the sweet potatoes until done. Saute the onions and sausage meat, then add and saute the celery and peppers. Add butter or oil as needed. Peel and mash the sweet potatoes and mix in the meat and vegetables. Add bread crumbs to taste (the more bread crumbs, the drier the dressing). Season to taste. Add a little water if needed, or cover with foil. Bake in a 9x13 pan (or whatever size seems right) at 350 degrees (medium oven) for about half an hour.

Yum!

14 comments

  1. Autumn Jordon // November 19, 2009 at 9:26 AM  

    I'm a sweet sweet potatoe lady but this sounds so yummy. MY DH LOVES sausage with a capital L. I'm going to try this. Thanks for posting.

    AJ

  2. Patrice // November 19, 2009 at 10:33 AM  

    Interesting recipe. I would never have thought about adding sausage to the potato, but my dear Ralph and I love both, so I'm definitely going to try this out.
    Thanks!
    Patrice

  3. hollygee // November 19, 2009 at 10:54 AM  

    I am so with you -- sweet potatoes are sweet enough on their own, no sweetening help need apply. I like this idea. I'll use everything except the bread crumbs, unless I use cornbread -- gluten free bread goes kinda slimy when used in stuffings and such. The cornbread is sounding kind of good.

  4. Beth Trissel // November 19, 2009 at 10:58 AM  

    I love love love sweet potatoes and this recipe looks super! thanks.

  5. Donnell Ann Bell // November 19, 2009 at 12:57 PM  

    Yum, yum, yum, Barbara, and do you know sweet potatoes are good for you. Can't wait to try out your recipe. Thanks!

  6. Mary Marvella // November 19, 2009 at 1:36 PM  

    Sounds like a recipe to pring and try! Thanks, Barbara!

  7. Mary Marvella // November 19, 2009 at 1:36 PM  

    Sounds like a recipe to pring and try! Thanks, Barbara!

  8. Josie // November 19, 2009 at 1:55 PM  

    I love sweet potatoes and this recipe looks easy and delicious. Like you, Barbara, I don't like recipes dripping in sweetness.

  9. Mary Ricksen // November 19, 2009 at 4:37 PM  

    Hand raised for any kind of sweet potato recipe, from sweet to savory like yours. I think I'll try it soon.

  10. Pamela Varnado // November 19, 2009 at 5:51 PM  

    I love sweet potatoes and your receipe sounds really yummy. Can you make it without meat?

  11. Scarlet Pumpernickel // November 19, 2009 at 6:58 PM  

    Barbara, this is a new one on me! I've never heard of sweet potato dressing! Got to try it since I love sweet potatoes. My very favorite recipe is sweet potato biscuits. If you've never had them, you don't know what your missing. Yummmm! They are also great sliced in thin pieces and fried! Goes really well with pork chops. Now, gosh, you've gone and mad me hungry.

  12. Barbara Monajem // November 19, 2009 at 9:11 PM  

    Thanks very much, everyone, for your comments. Holly, I'm sure the cornbread would work fine. Pam, I don't see why you couldn't skip the meat, but you might want to add extra veggies, maybe some mushrooms, too, and lots of butter (to replace the fat from the sausage). Scarlet - sweet potato biscuits sound great. Would you post the recipe some day, please?

  13. Judith Keim // November 20, 2009 at 8:29 AM  

    This sounds yummy! Hard to believe Thanksgiving is next week! Thanks for the recipe!

  14. Nightingale // November 20, 2009 at 8:07 PM  

    This sounds yummy. I'll have to try it out for Thanksgiving.