Pep up the Holidays with this Soup

Posted by Toni V.S. | 12:28 PM | 8 comments »

Once, so long ago that the memory is now almost lost in the mists of Time, I was a good cook. I cook for my son, I cooked for my poodles, I cooked for my SO. I even won prizes for my recipes. Slaving over a hot stove was an acceptable event for those delicious Southern meals. Now? It's instant this and instant that, and the microwave. Meals in 5 minutes. Oh, well...

Today, however, I'm digging into my musty ol' recipe book and sharing a little gem which won me an award in the Beta Sigma Phi Annual Cookbook competition back in 1999...or was it 1997? No matter. Here, Ladies, is my famous Red Pepper Soup. It's perfect for the holidays, because of its bright color, as well as its zippy taste.

4 medium red Bell Peppers
1 medium yellow Bell pepper
2 small red Serrano peppers (other mild hot pepper such as Hungarian can be substituted)
3 gloves garlic
1 tbsp olive oil
1 14.5 oz can chicken broth
1/2 C whipped cream (optional)
Fresh basil leaves (optional)
Salt/pepper to taste

Remove seeds, stems, and membranes from peppers. Chop into squares. Slice garlic. Boil all until tender. Run through blender until pureed. Pour into large saucepan and add salt and pepper to taste and olive oil. Add chicken broth, stir until well-blended. Cook until heated throughout and ladle into soup bowls. May be garnished with a fresh basil leaf and a dollop of whipped cream (optional).

This makes 4 servings. 195 calories per serving.

8 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // November 6, 2009 at 1:51 PM  

    Thanks, Toni. It sounds yummy!

  2. Author Roast and Toast // November 6, 2009 at 2:14 PM  

    Sounds great, got any more soup recipes?

  3. Toni V.S. // November 6, 2009 at 2:49 PM  

    Plenty! Soup is the ultimate winter meal for Nebraska!Check Icy Snow's website this Sunday for her "Groundpea Soup."

  4. Toni V.S. // November 6, 2009 at 2:49 PM  
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  5. Pamela Varnado // November 6, 2009 at 3:27 PM  

    OMG, your Red Pepper Soup sounds so delicious. I love to eat; unfortunately I hate to cook. Which is something my family wishes was different. I have lots of recipes left over from my newlywed days. They're just collecting dust at the moment. But maybe I'll pull a few out and try them along with your soup for the holidays. Thanks for sharing!

  6. Scarlet Pumpernickel // November 6, 2009 at 6:33 PM  

    I can always use another good recipe! Thanks for sharing, Toni.

  7. Beth Trissel // November 6, 2009 at 8:14 PM  

    This looks very good, Toni.

  8. Josie // November 8, 2009 at 9:15 AM  

    This recipe looks absolutely delicious, Toni. My country club serves a red pepper soup, and brags that its their "signature" item.