Just received my first Holiday Card of the Season, well almost! It was actually a text message. I had been working late last evening and upon returning to my classroom--did I mention that in my other incarnation I’m a teacher--I noticed a missed call on my cell phone. Now, since I was working late, I figured it was my family looking for me. So I clicked on the message and opened the text. It was a picture of Santa with a tally whacker that looked 2 feet long protruding from beneath his black Santa’s belt!

Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m not a prude! We all receive and re-send those naughty little fwd, fwd, fwds once in a while. But remember, I said I’m a teacher? Well I checked to see who had gifted me with my first Holiday Card of the season and it was a parent of one of my students! OH NO!

Beginning to realize my dilemma? Yes, you’ve got it! Had my student sent me an inappropriate email? Immediately I went into CYOA mode and headed to the front office! No way was I going to allow anyone to accuse me of inappropriate contact with a student.

I showed my administrator the inappropriate email, which by the way, would have been just a funny little ditty to be laughed at and deleted under usually circumstances. However, it posed a real problem coming to me from what could have been a student.

We agreed I’d have to call the parent and tell them about the text message, which turned out to be one of those chain-letter online/text snowball fights, except this one was called Holiday Boner War and I’d been bonered!

Putting the phone on speaker, in the administrator’s office, I called the parent and told them of the text. The response went something like this: OMG! He had my phone last night! I’m so sorry, I will take care of this when I get home! I’m gonna kill him!

Now the moral to my story: Technology in the wrong hands is dangerous! When you receive that cute little fwd, fwd, fwd, before you hit send to all, be sure your child's teacher's phone number isn't in your phone address book! The text message had been forwarded to my phone during the hour when this student was sitting in my class working! No way, did he send it! It was one of those little high tech glitches--someone forgot forward all really does mean ALL!

Now, have you had any such encounters of the e-mail kind that could be embarrassing or even damaging to your career? Share with us points to avoid such mistakes, please.

15 comments

  1. Mary Ricksen // November 15, 2009 at 2:37 PM  

    Blame it on the poor kid huh?
    Kinda funny though just between you and me. But what a dilemma for you.
    I hope you get better cards to come!

  2. Mary Marvella // November 15, 2009 at 2:43 PM  

    OMIGOD! A boner from a student's parent! The man would let his kid take the blame.

    There was the time I used an unacceptable word to a student who was being especially obnoxious. He pushed and i lost my tremper. When he threatened to report me, the other students said they'd say he lied. They didn't like the jerk, their words not mine.

  3. Scarlet Pumpernickel // November 15, 2009 at 2:46 PM  

    Mary R, it was rather funny, but with the current atmosphere in education it was a matter of better safe than sorry. I completely understood how it happened and also why she blamed the student! I probably would have too. The next day it was not mentioned. I feel sure that Momma did not tell the kid what had happened. LOL

  4. Scarlet Pumpernickel // November 15, 2009 at 2:47 PM  

    MM, actually it was the Momma who committed faux-pas.

  5. Scarlet Pumpernickel // November 15, 2009 at 2:49 PM  

    MM, they can sometimes be really jerks, can't they. So much more so when they know their parents will up hold them in their bad behavior. Good for your other students, shows they had better raising!

  6. Patrice // November 15, 2009 at 3:01 PM  

    Wow Scarlet, that must have been embarrassing and tricky for you. Can't recall anything similiar happening to me, just me putting my foot in my mouth a few times!

  7. Mona Risk // November 15, 2009 at 3:30 PM  

    Scarlett, I am still laughing at your post. But I can understand your position. Parents wouldn't hesitate to jump at blaming a teacher. You did the right thing.

  8. Pamela Varnado // November 15, 2009 at 3:36 PM  

    Wow, what a dilemma. You did the right thing by notifying your administrator. It's a crazy world we live in. I've never found myself in such a situtation.

    PS. I'm feeling naughty. If you still have the message, forward it to me.

  9. Scarlet Pumpernickel // November 15, 2009 at 4:11 PM  

    Pam,
    Unfortunately, I deleted it because I didn't want to risk accidently replying to it! LOL! My boss and I had a good laugh about it! If I get it from someone else, I will send it to you!

  10. Scarlet Pumpernickel // November 15, 2009 at 5:06 PM  

    Mona,
    I'm glad you found my post entertaining! It was really quite funny when it happened.

    Patrice,
    It was more of a matter of damage control! I knew the moment I discovered the source that I had to act immediately. CYOA, you know!

  11. Beth Trissel // November 15, 2009 at 6:05 PM  

    Wow, what a faux pas. I cringe for the unfortunate who forgot about the All thing.

  12. Nightingale // November 15, 2009 at 6:10 PM  

    Embarrassing situation. And one not easily handled.

  13. Mary Marvella // November 15, 2009 at 6:46 PM  

    OOPS, thought a guy would do that but a mom? Hmmm.

  14. Autumn Jordon // November 15, 2009 at 6:51 PM  

    OMG. I shouldn't be laughing but..
    But you were right to be concern and handled it well. A lesson for all. LOL.

  15. Josie // November 16, 2009 at 1:54 PM  

    Wow--what a situation. Very entertaining post.