What would you do if....

Posted by debjulienne | 11:00 AM | 7 comments »

...you lost your job tomorrow?

This is a frightening thought that a great many people are being hit with.

In light of the financial worries of our country, the horrific gas wars game going on, and the constantly rising food prices...no one has any guarantee of what tomorrow will bring.

Well, this is where I'm at...tomorrow our company will have a major lay-off. I have no cotton picking idea if I'm on the chopping block or safe. The unknown has been haunting me for a couple of weeks. Paralyzing me on several plains to the point that I don't know which end is up, what planet I'm on, or even what my name is.

Over the past weekend I pushed through it...and this is what I came up with. If I get laid off tomorrow, I'll cry, pack my possessions, head home...and pack my bags.

Come Monday I'll be on a week long trek to find a new home...someplace the whole family can go and start over.

California is getting to big and expensive for us, so we're shopping Wyoming and Montana.

I played on the internet, looking at property, houses, farms and an idea started to form. An idea I quickly took a great liking for and even started to get quite excited about.

I found a nice farm we could afford, with enough land to grow crops to support ourselves, raise veggies, fresh and for canning. Enough room to raise chickens, cows, pigs, and such...and believe it or not...just seeing that I do have an idea to fall back on, took a great deal of fear regarding tomorrow out of my head and heart.

This led me to see that even something as frightening as losing your job isn't always a negative.

Who knows maybe it will even inspire me to get back to writing without the regular stress of wondering WHEN I'll get laid off next.

So, come tomorrow, those of you that know me, may just get an email...saying I'm outta here...you'll know what I mean. I'm on the adventure of a lifetime and who knows when you'll see me next.

7 comments

  1. Anonymous // January 21, 2009 at 6:03 PM  

    WOW! Good luck Deborah, but you're got the right attitude. If the job is gone, take it as a sign to try something new.

    Let us know what happens

  2. Mary Marvella // January 21, 2009 at 6:27 PM  

    Hope things go the way you need for them to go. At least you have a just- in-case plan!

  3. Scarlet Pumpernickel // January 21, 2009 at 8:39 PM  

    Gosh Deb! I can so relate to your position. I lost my job in both the 70's and 80's recessions. That last one taught me a lesson, I went back to college and earned a degree. Now I feel a little more secure, but budget cuts effect even teachers! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

    Scarlet

  4. Scarlet Pumpernickel // January 21, 2009 at 9:03 PM  

    Deb,
    Just had to pop back in to mention that both times I lost my job, it turned out for the better. The first time I really needed to be home with my grandmother who was ill and drawing unemployment allowed me to do it. The second time, I took up writing, joined GRW and RWA, then made some very good friends! So sometimes it is all in the perspective from which we approach the occasion. Hope this helps you to find the bright side of an otherwise stressful event!

    Scarlet

  5. Beth Trissel // January 22, 2009 at 10:54 AM  

    Very inspiring and thought provoking post. Keep us posted Deb. I'm already on that farm and it's the best place in the world to be.

  6. Tamara LeBlanc // January 22, 2009 at 1:55 PM  

    Good luck to you Deborah. I hope no matter what happens, everything will work out for the best.

    God Bless,
    Tamara

  7. Josie // January 24, 2009 at 9:27 AM  

    Deborah,
    Wishing only good thoughts and prayers will be headed your way. That farm sounds perfect.