New Year's Eve

Posted by Nightingale | 9:37 AM | , , | 9 comments »


Fuzzies, I have to tell you that I had a great NYE. My ex (we're good friends) and I went to a party at Moody Gardens Hotel in Galveston, TX. The room was spacious, well-appointed and the hotel was beautifully decorated for the holidays. The package included a buffet dinner, party favors, and entertainment. The affair was black tie. Not many of the gentlemen wore tux but there were a couple of black cowboy hats (a Texas thing I guess since they didn't appear to be the bad guys).

The dinner was excellent with oysters Bienville, caviar, smoked salmon, lamb and roast beef for example. One of the deserts was a swan and since my story from the Wild Rose Press which will release 2/25/09 is titled Black Swan, I took that as a good sign that the story will do well. Have to think positively!

The ads had said that there would be special surprise entertainment. Girls! I almost fell out off my chair when Rod Stewart came on stage. One of the other women at the table and I went down to the stage and sang along with Maggie Mae. He came down into the crowd and went dancing around the room. Once I was face to face with him, staring into his eyes. Whew. He still puts on an energy-packed show. When he was singing "if you think I'm sexy, if you want my body," he looked down at me and did a little Rod Stewart move. My friend said, "Oh my, that was an invitation." Don't know if it really was but what an ego trip.

What could they possibly do at midnight to top Rod Stewart? Among the special party favors were the plain dark sunglasses that the Blues Brothers wore. That's it. On came the Blues Brothers (impersonators) and what a show they were. The crowd around the stage was almost as funny as the Blues Brothers.

I am now an official Cougar. I joined a Conga line and it dumped me off right in front of a very handsome young man. He took me by the shoulders and we started talking. He asked me to dance and during the dance, he gave me a little kiss.

Actually at midnight, my ex and I had the champagne toast but I'd gotten what I asked for—someone handsome to kiss at midnight. The timing was about 5 minutes early that's all. Later Rod Stewart came out into the crowd, talking with people, and I spoke to him. He's very personable and still very good looking.

All evening, I wore a funky feather tiara along with a pair of the glitter 2009 sunglasses.

When I was packing to go to the event, I felt pretty down—another year gone and what had I accomplished—that sort of thing. But what a magical evening it turned out to be---to put my arm around Rod Stewart and to have a romantic dance with a handsome stranger.

9 comments

  1. Josie // January 6, 2009 at 10:15 AM  

    Rod Stewart! Wow--what an exciting night and a great way to bring in the New Year.

  2. Anonymous // January 6, 2009 at 10:32 AM  

    I am SO JEALOUS!!! This sounds wonderful. The only thing that would have made it better is PICTURES! Where the heck are the pictures of you as a cougar? Of you and Rod Stewart?

    I think the Swan was a great lucky charm!

    Joanne is right - what a way to bring in the New Year!

  3. Nightingale // January 6, 2009 at 10:44 AM  

    I have one pix of Rod on stage in a cell phone camera if I can figure out how to download it! It was a pretty special evening!

  4. Mary Ricksen // January 6, 2009 at 12:07 PM  

    Darn are you lucky or what. And the swan thing sure does seem to be a sign.
    Rod Stewart right next to you talking. Kissed by a handsome guy.
    Boy Linda, I am jealous too.

  5. Mona Risk // January 6, 2009 at 1:02 PM  

    I am so glad you had a great NYE. Rod Stewart wow. Difficult to beat that.

  6. Mary Marvella // January 6, 2009 at 3:42 PM  

    Only you, Linda! You always could work a room and get the attention of good looking men. Rod Stewart tops all the others, even the violinist and the pianist. See, I remember these things. Go, Linda. No photos of you and the Brit in formal dress?

  7. Nightingale // January 6, 2009 at 6:19 PM  

    I wish I'd had the forethought to give the handsome stranger a card. See MM why we have to go to RT?

  8. Beth Trissel // January 6, 2009 at 8:43 PM  

    Linda, this is the most amazing story. Unlike anything I have ever experienced. What a glamorous life you lead. Wow. You are way kewl and I am awed.

  9. Scarlet Pumpernickel // January 6, 2009 at 10:09 PM  

    OMG! Now Scarlet is green once again! Linda, what an absolutely fabulous NYE! To kiss a stranger, sounds like the title of a new project to me!!!! I am so glad that you had such an outstanding NYE. Mine was very tame! Out to dinner, home early and fell asleep before Midnight! Didn't even hear the fireworks. Bahhhhh! Rod Stewert, now that's hot!

    Scarlet