While I was goofing off (and not writing, like I should be), I found this interesting Deal of the Day.

SCENTED PENCILS

Here are the details...

Build Study Habits
Increase Confidence
Improve Grades

www.smartpencils.com


The Scented Pencils that improves your memory recall.....comes in a 4 park.

Although most of today's parents experienced learning through lecture and reading, educators now realize that these teaching strategies do not work for all students. The field of education is continually increasing its efforts to diversify teaching methods. Studies have shown that presenting new information, which utilizes as many of our five senses (seeing, hearing, feeling, tasting, and smelling) as possible, increases the likelihood of concept retention.

For example:


A carpenter learning to build a deck is better equipped to do so if he's been given the opportunity to see someone else build a deck as opposed to just reading about building a deck in a how to book.


The smell of your mom's meatloaf may help you recall what her house looked like and the feeling of specific family gatherings.


Most children can better recall their ABCs by singing the ABC song that they sang and listened to in school.


Smartpencils is specifically aimed at tapping into students' ability to learn with the sense of smell. Our goal is to provide students with a tool to assist their memorization of new information through scent.

Now, you have to admit, that's different!

Until Next Time

7 comments

  1. Scarlet Pumpernickel // January 11, 2009 at 4:03 PM  

    Cyndi,
    You certainly are right about the changing paradigm for teaching. Everything is much more hands-on and geared to differentation these days. Good news for lots of learners who need those alternative learning styles. Love the scented pencils idea. Wonder which scent would stimulate romance writing?

    Scarlet

  2. Mary Ricksen // January 11, 2009 at 8:13 PM  

    I guess I am getting too old. When I was a kid there wasn't even a calculator, and the only smell was the oil they waxed the floors with. Or the farts from the fool in front of you, the only hope was to open your desk and smell your erasers.

  3. Anonymous // January 11, 2009 at 8:16 PM  

    Scarlet - Since this is a PG site, Mom Mary would spank me if I answered your question. BRAWAHAHAHA

    Mary - HAHAHA

    My favorite smell from grade school was the mimeograph machine. I used to press the paper to my nose and breath deep!

  4. Mary Marvella // January 11, 2009 at 11:57 PM  

    You girls are so bad. Funny, too.
    I remember something about scented writing pens years ago.

    How about sleepy scents for bothersome students?

    I can't believe three laughs at three comments.
    Bet you didn't realize where this post would go, Cyndi!

  5. Josie // January 12, 2009 at 9:19 AM  

    Interesting article about the sense of smell. I'm very careful about the "scents" and perfume I wear on my writing days. I've found that fresh, citrus scents work best. Sweet cloying fragrances tend to distract me.

  6. Mary Marvella // January 12, 2009 at 4:13 PM  

    Almost any different scent distracts me since I don't wear fragrances.

  7. Sherry Morris // January 12, 2009 at 9:07 PM  

    This might be fun to sniff the pencil, but I don't think my brain would remember or learn more. I'd probably stop writing and go look for something to eat, LOL.

    I've read that chewing gum for ten minutes increases the blood flow to your head. That might help...if only I could chew gum without biting my cheeks...