I had intended to post a most romantic true life love story today. John Macrae-Hall of the 145th Squadron of the Royal Air Force gave me permission to post the story of how he met Babs, his wife in 1955. BUT I had to type the story (which I will do) and time ran away from me---again.



SO I am posting an excerpt from a companion novella to my WIP.




I, Azazel, of the Order of Grigori, am fallen.
I am not evil.
Look for me. Sitting at the bar beside you. You will know me by my long, fair hair and charismatic smile. My countenance hints at mystery.
My art is, and has always been, the science of seduction.


Saturday morning, seven o’clock, I woke up horny with no remedy in the house but relief was only a phone call away. By ten, I'd gotten laid, kissed sweet Maggie goodbye and stood gazing out the glass wall overlooking the neon splendor of Las Vegas. My white-on-white home built on a hill outside the city was angular, ultra-modern but the furnishings antique.


Young on the outside, old on the inside—like me.


I’d lived in this neoteric garden long enough to imitate the livestock. Sin City suited me. Normally, I'm an easy-going, cheerful even loving fellow. At the moment, however, absolutely nothing suited me. I wished I’d asked Maggie to stay instead of hurrying her on her way. If this ungodly restlessness survived a day in bed with Maggie, I’d require the help of my old friend Bombay Sterling, grinning at me from the liquor cabinet. Another of their habits I'd adopted—
when memories came creeping back. I was wondering if I wanted a martini or a gin-and-tonic when a sharp pain cramped my hand into a fist. Never one for profanity, I exhaled an archaic curse, opened my hand and forgot all about Bombay, Maggie and the heebie-jeebies.


The symbol in my palm bulged blood-red.... as it had on the day my punishment began. The strange figure had been the subject of many short discussions with mortals who asked if it was a birthmark. I'd nod, smile and change the subject. If only they knew....


At creation, each angel was given an individual sigil. For millennia my heavenly tattoo had been merely a silvery-white scar in my right palm, a sad reminder of what I’d given up. Another razor of pain sliced along the ulner nerve to my elbow, sending a thousand bells ringing in my ears as my vibration soared from the slower corporeal hum to the high pitch of pure Spirit. My hand paled to transparent. Any moment, my mortal pretense would dissolve. Then what?
Poof...gone...MIA angel?


Something was desperately wrong and I feared I knew what it was, at long last, Retribution coming to call.

9 comments

  1. Toni V.S. // August 10, 2008 at 12:04 PM  

    Linda, I've said this all along and I stand by it--Azzi is going to be published! Like "Black Swan" it deserves to be in print!

  2. Nightingale // August 10, 2008 at 12:45 PM  

    Thanks Toni. I wish you were an editor! At least I'm back to working on it. Yesterday I worked on the novella. But I think I know where I'm going with the book now.

  3. Anonymous // August 10, 2008 at 12:48 PM  

    Linda! OMG! This is so not fair! Another hero for me to wonder about! Gotta know what's going on with both charachers! First a vampire and now a fallen angel! I won't be able to rest until I know what's going on with these two. Your writing just sucks me in every time! I am in awe of your talent!

    The Scarlet Pumpernickel

  4. Mary Ricksen // August 10, 2008 at 2:24 PM  

    Linda, it sounds like a must read to me!

  5. Helen Hardt // August 10, 2008 at 3:18 PM  

    Sounds great, Linda. Thanks for sharing!

    Helen
    www.helensheroes.blogspot.com

  6. Mary Marvella // August 10, 2008 at 4:03 PM  

    Wow, Linda, I still like it! Finish it!

  7. Cheryl Tardif // August 10, 2008 at 5:20 PM  
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  8. Cheryl Tardif // August 10, 2008 at 5:23 PM  

    (Ok...try again, Cheryl...)

    Great post, Linda. And you've left us in suspense. I love cliffhangers...and chapter hooks.

    Hey, if I buy fuzzy pink slippers, can I be an honorary member? lol

    All the best, and when you have time, please hop on over to my blog or website. :)

    Cheryl Kaye Tardif,
    Canadian suspense author

    The suspense is killing me! (blog)
    www.CherylKTardif.com

  9. Cheryl Tardif // August 10, 2008 at 5:28 PM  

    Oh, and one more thing...if you'd like to read a suspenseful work-in-progress, I am serializing a novelette (based on a short story I wrote in 1987!)

    Have a read when you have time and let me know what you think...

    Remote Control--Be careful what you wish for...

    Cheryl