Saturday night I slept with three males, a first for me. All were short and hairy. Two I've know for years, actually since they were barely a handful, and I have small hands.

My daughter has two designer dogs, brothers from different litters, and I am the granny, since we don't have any human babies yet. I don't mind, really I don't. My baby doesn't like to leave her boys, Gibbs and Reagan, alone overnight, so I dog-sit when I can. They sleep with their parents and are real huggie bears. They also expected to sleep with me.

I resisted, since I don't sleep with dogs. After several sleepless nights of tossing sweet, loving, clean dogs out of my bed, I gave in. The guys understand I want no dog butts in my face and the French kissing one is NOT to lick my face when I'm sleeping. They don't sleep in my pillow, either. They don't even try! Each wants time on my body and time just curled near me.

Generous to a fault, my daughter and her husband have recently taken in two foster dogs to find homes for them. The first, a pretty little girl, has found a new home.
She never slept with me, there wasn't time. Thank God!

The second, Smokey, is an older dog, but he learned his place in the pecking order soon enough. His first adopted mama rescued him and made him a prince, with clothes and a bounty of toys and a lovely bed. She had to move to a place where she wouldn't be able to keep him, so my "Kids" took him in and will find him a new home.

He brought even more stuff that my granddogs who are spoiled and have their own room. (Kidding) He did have more clothes, though. Maybe that's why he was so aggressive.

Unlike the brothers, this one is a smaller and a barker, and growler. He acts so fierce and unfriendly. He does want the petting the others get and there is plenty of that in his current foster home. I can't allow a child or an animal to be left out, so I give him his share of Granny's petting. He learned that I don't pet barking dogs, so he controls that, making a sound more like a purr than a growl. I don't think he realizes his noises are considered unfriendly. He's learning, though.

Back to the bed and the hairy bedmates.

My daughter's instructions included that he sleeps in his "bed" at the end of her bed. In other words, he doesn't sleep with them. He sleeps near them. Smokey attached himself to me as soon as my daughter and her husband left the house to attend a wedding and have an overnight stay together. She has health issues and needed the time to have a little fun.

Smokey followed me everywhere and even to bed. I tried moving him to his bed. I tried lying on her bed, so he would go to sleep in his place. Like that worked. I sent him to his bed, but he snuggled against me, instead of leaving. I finally gave up the fight, but then I had three dogs trying to sleep against me and/or on me. My daughter couldn't believe that one since Regan likes to sleep alone. Right!

Sleeping with my daughter when she was small left me tired in the morning because she was a little heater and I feared rolling over onto her. The three dogs kept me awake sweating and cuddling.

I had a sweaty night with three guys and no orgy but I was as tired as I would have been after sleeping with..... Never mind, I won't go there. I'm sweating just thinking about the possibilities.

Photos to follow!

8 comments

  1. Anonymous // June 10, 2008 at 1:55 PM  

    Oh Mary!!! That reminds me so much of the days back in Nebraska when it would get thirty below at night. Those were definitely Three Dog Nights! Or rather, Five Dog Nights, since I had 4 poodles and a mutt. A featherbed, a goosedown comforter and five furry little bodies-- Ah! Only one thing better--and like you, I definitely won't go there--after all, we have certain guidelines on this website, don't we? :))

  2. Beth Trissel // June 10, 2008 at 2:40 PM  

    This was delightful, Mary. You and your boys are a hoot.

  3. Mary Marvella // June 10, 2008 at 2:54 PM  

    Thanks! Posted a picture, for those who haven't seen them.

    I think I spoiled the foster dog!

    I'm the only family member who doesn't lie with dogs on a regular basis!

  4. Anonymous // June 10, 2008 at 11:30 PM  

    What a tease! LOL We have two dogs. One is 13 (Border Collie) and the other is 2 (Flat Coated Retriever). The Border Collie RULES the house and the bed. She will not the retriever on the bed and would rather she not sleep under the bed either. If Maggie (BC) has her way, Jill (Retriever) is banished to either her kennel or gated off in the office. That way, Maggie has Mom, Dad and the bed all to herself. LOL

    BUT beautiful picture

  5. Donnell Ann Bell // June 11, 2008 at 12:34 PM  

    Mary, I agree with Cyndi! You are the consummate tease! And the things we won't do for our children and our pets. I tell myself our family Boston terrier prepared me for raising kids. Every night this dog got up at 1 in the morning to go stare at the moon. And he always came to me to let him out. Now why do you think that is? Get some rest, Mary, I suspect this wasn't the first sleepover at Grandmas. ;)

  6. Mary Marvella // June 11, 2008 at 1:06 PM  
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  7. Mary Marvella // June 11, 2008 at 1:06 PM  

    Thanks, Cyndi and Donnell. Me a tease? Nah. Got you over here, didn't I?

    I slept at her house. My mama didn't raise a fool! I've visited the boys more than once. When I'm there, they think I'm there for them and expect me to play, which I do.

  8. Mary Marvella // June 11, 2008 at 1:06 PM  
    This comment has been removed by the author.