Brilliant yellow gold finches streaked across the garden today and landed on the fence beside the hollyhocks. I love these birds, one of my absolute favorites. In midsummer, when the sunflowers bloom, they gather in chattering clusters to feed on the seeds. Their wings flash in the sun as they suspend on sunflower heads and peck away, and meticulously open each seed. I’ve never heard such euphoric birds, continually exclaiming over their finds. They have a lot to say and do not keep secrets well.


If I were to confide in birds, it would not be them, or to crows, loudly proclaiming the latest gossip. Warblers are fairy creatures, but not silent fairies. Possibly to wolves--no. They howl. Frogs croak and gribbit. Turtles are quiet. Tell all to turtles, then. Box or painted ones. Snappers are treacherous and would as soon bite you as listen.

7 comments

  1. Nightingale // June 29, 2008 at 11:13 AM  

    Poetic, Beth. It must be wonderful to live with nature. I'm trying to work out a move to Westminister, SC and a small horse farm. I wish!

  2. Beth Trissel // June 29, 2008 at 2:21 PM  

    Oh, I hope you can, Linda!

  3. Keli Gwyn // June 29, 2008 at 4:24 PM  

    Such vivid description, Beth. You bring the scene to life. I can see and hear those birds.

  4. Mary Marvella // June 29, 2008 at 6:17 PM  

    Beth, your lyrical way with words reminds me of how it felt to see nature through the eyes of an innocent. Turtles, huh? How interesting.

  5. Anonymous // June 29, 2008 at 7:50 PM  

    Beth,
    How lovely and inspiring! It gave me quite the idea for a fantasy story! Confiding in the turtles, fairy birds....Loved the short story!


    Melba from Georgia

  6. Mary Ricksen // June 29, 2008 at 7:50 PM  

    That is such a good way to start the day. I myself am heading to NC hopefully. Where I'll be able to watch the hummingbirds.

  7. Beth Trissel // June 30, 2008 at 10:18 AM  

    Thanks all. I feel there is much magic and fantasy in the natural world. Good luck with that story idea.