Posted by Anonymous | 12:00 AM | 4 comments »

The Steve

Lately, I’m into web design. Since my interests flit around like a hummingbird blasting from flower to flower, I put all my effort into learning about a new hobby before something else catches my attention. If you don’t already know it, I have untreated adult ADHD, and it’s lovely. I’m never bored with myself or anything around me. And here I am jumping off the topic already, so I’ll refocus.

Okay. Steve Jobs is the hottie (to an older woman like me, anyway) co-founder and CEO of
Apple. Think Macintosh computers, iPods, iTunes, and now the iPhone. And you know the cool animated lamp at the beginning of Toy Story and Monsters, Inc.? That’s the emblem of Pixar Animation Studios, which Steve also co-founded. What’s more, since 2006, Steve has served on The Walt Disney Company board of directors.

Since my new hobby is web design, I spend a lot of time checking out other designers. My favorites are (right click, open in new tab)
Karen’s Web Works, 2Creative, BlueKey, Glass Slipper Web Design, and Rae Monet, to name just a few of the dozens I like. Well—and I’ll finally get to the point—during my perusal of one website designer, I came across a YouTube interview with Steve Jobs. To say I was disappointed would be a major understatement.

If there’s ever a misleading video of an interview with Steve Jobs,
this is it. I’m not sure why a website designer would insert interesting but off-topic YouTube videos in his blogs. Maybe he ran out of website design-related topics. The real problem is not that I'm disappointed in this designer's site, but the fact that when I saw the title, I got excited. I thought perhaps a Big Kid like Steve would have some business advice for people like me who have a full-time job, two part-time jobs, and half a dozen micro jobs. Heck, he’d probably tell me to get on meds.

Anyhow, my journey to find great website designers and emulate them when I grow up is an ongoing process. I’m always finding more designers and am constantly in awe of the graphic finesse of some of the sites in their portfolios. But this Steve video really bugs me. I promise, when I get my website business up and running (you know, when I retire at 65), I will NEVER misrepresent The Steve. In fact, I’ll design a website just for him.



Pamela Roller is the author of On Silent Wings, a totally focused gothic historical romance set in Restoration England. Visit her medicated website at http://www.pamelaroller.com/.©Pamela Roller


Photo Credit: © Thomson Reuters 2008

4 comments

  1. Nightingale // June 14, 2008 at 8:17 PM  

    Wonderful. Hey, Pam I have the same problem of flitting from hobby to hobby or toy to toy. But now I almost feel like I could do my own web site. Not! Enjoyed the article. Been waiting for this one to post.

  2. Beth Trissel // June 15, 2008 at 11:18 PM  

    Hey Pam! Great to have you flitting back to the Fuzzies! We missed you.
    Enjoyed your post. As for the Steve having a let down video, who knew?

  3. Mary Ricksen // June 16, 2008 at 7:19 PM  

    To me, it's all Greek. I would never do a website, I'm lucky I can send this comment. Takes talent too.

  4. Mary Marvella // June 17, 2008 at 7:52 PM  

    I'd love to do more with my own site, but I can work on only one page without screwing things up.