After a long, dark waiting, he appeared

on a night windswept and chill,

making the old Earth cry blood-red tears.

Burning ice-cold with flesh long denied

Life's warmth, he sought to replace his lack with

my own weak pulse,

while holding my heart, night-bought and conquered,

in one pale hand.

I sought my damnation in the darkness, and would have won it,

but for the blood of the Old Races burning in his veins.

When it called to him

He didn't resist,

forsaking the puny Mortal who desired him

to return to the Mountains that birthed his Kind.

Thus now,

when the wind moans soft while the clouds obscure the moon

and through my open window

I hear a soft wing's-rustle break the night air,

I sit and hope and wait,


But he doesn't return,


And I cry alone beneath the waning moon,


And I cry alone beneath the cruel moon.

8 comments

  1. Cheryl Tardif // June 7, 2008 at 1:31 PM  

    I'm a friend of Linda's and I decided to drop by and see what y'all are up to. :)

    This is a very spicy poem! Kudos.

    One little tip, if I may...you should delete the HTML code. It detracts from your lovely poem.

    Best to you all!
    Cheryl Kaye Tardif,
    author of Whale Song, The River and Divine Intervention

  2. Toni V.S. // June 7, 2008 at 4:18 PM  

    I;d be glad to delete codes, Cheryl, if I could see them. They don't show up on my computer! Apologies to all.

  3. Mary Marvella // June 7, 2008 at 6:10 PM  

    No codes on my computer, either. Lovely language and emotion.

  4. Nightingale // June 8, 2008 at 11:24 AM  

    Come to my window, wait for the light of the moon...from Melissa Ethridge...the imagery in your poem and the sensuality reminded me of this song. Good stuff!

    Cheryl, thanks for dropping by. Girls, I can recomment Whale Song as a book that will stay with you long after you've read the final page. I still find myself thinking of different aspects of a heartrening coming of age story with a bittersweet ending.

  5. Mary Ricksen // June 8, 2008 at 4:48 PM  

    It touches that small place in all of us that yearns. We long for something just out of reach. It's a bit bad, but that's what makes it so exciting.
    I don't see any HTML code when I view the blog.

  6. Cheryl Tardif // June 8, 2008 at 6:38 PM  

    That's weird that you can't see the code. I'm using Internet Explorer 7 as a browser; if you're using an older or different browser it could make a difference.

    I tried copying and pasting it here, which it did, but it won't publish the comment because of the extra code.

    "Your HTML cannot be accepted: PHP, ASP, and other server-side scripting is not allowed."

    It's very weird, but there is extra code in the first post on the blog too.

    (insert Twilight Zone music...lol)
    ~Cheryl Kaye Tardif

  7. Toni V.S. // June 8, 2008 at 8:24 PM  

    I use Outlook Express. Perhaps that makes a difference. My son says that Macs will pick up codes that PC can't see and vice versa, too.

  8. Helen Scott Taylor // June 10, 2008 at 9:32 AM  

    Lyrical and lovely, Toni!