Last weekend, I attended the Indie Mashup Book Signing in Houston though I only have one self-published novella, The Night Before Doomsday ($.99 on Amazon).  I had been to another large book signing in January and was prepared to have a great time and sell a lot of books.  I wasn’t prepared to have to go alone and haul my Smart Cart of books and goodies up two flights of a steep ramp because the elevator had yet to be turned on.  But I made it!

Then the problem became getting the books out of the cart.  Since I suffered a back injury in a fall from a horse in late April, I gingerly struggled them out and set up my table.  One young man came by and took a picture of my table saying it was the best one in the signing.  That pleased me enough that I forgot the troubles of getting to the signing.

However, I was destined for another disappointment.   My tablemate and the author sitting at the table on my left were self published and could sell their books for far less than my print books’ prices.  I watched them selling book after book.  They were both writing about angels, and I gritted my teeth that no one had yet published my angel book, Redemption.   Onward and upward, a reader stopped by and said she’d seen my Facebook posts on Sinners’ Opera and bought a copy.   Every one of my signed cover postcards went.  I also had scented candles wrapped in netting with a Sinners’ Opera cover card stapled to the ribbon and, of course, chocolate.  I also took my new banner from VistaPrint.


I’d like to say that it was a wildly fun and successful day, but I’d be lying.  I resolved next signing to be sure I had a friend to take along to while away the time between visitors.   I have signed up for another big book signing in November.   By then, Sinners’ Obsession will be in print.  I’ll let you know how it goes.

Here is the cover to my latest release, Sinners' Obsession, sequel to Sinners' Opera, and  Book #2 in the Obsession Series (to be followed by a prequel called Sinners' Waltz).   All my books are available on Amazon and at Double Dragon Publishing.



Thought I'd also share the book video for Sinners' Opera:

HOPE I DIDN'T SOUND TOO NEGATIVE!!   HAPPY FRIDAY,    Linda

3 comments

  1. Barbara Monajem // August 22, 2014 at 10:13 AM  

    Yeah, book signings can be unpredictable. I did two at RWA National. At the one where people had to buy the books, I sold only one. At the one where the books were free, they were snapped up immediately! I can only hope some of those freebies get read.

  2. Josie Riviera // August 24, 2014 at 9:28 AM  

    I've never had a book signing, but it's probably a good idea. You may reach more readers than you think. B

  3. Mary Marvella // August 27, 2014 at 2:21 PM  

    I was at 2 signings and sold all of 2 books each time. I sold more books at another function where I "just happened to have" books with me.