Good morning, Candy. Welcome to our cozy corner. I heard that you could use a little rest and relaxation. You are one busy woman! When I asked Candy to visit with us, I let her choose her own topic. I should have known she make this choice.

Hot Guy Heroes

Every time I write a hero. I fall for him a little bit. I mean it. Every single time. I believe this happens because I'm trying my best to create the ideal man. Sure, they all have flaws. They wouldn't be so interesting if they didn't. I've written professors and cowboys, my last two books. Right now I'm revisiting one of my older series and writing about doctor and a sheik. But with me, these guys always have to be different. They can't be your typical cowboy or sheik

In Truth or Dare, my May release (how's that for a little book pimping?), Cade Randall is a billionaire business man who finds out his father was murdered 20 years ago. All this time Cade thought his dad had run out on the family. He's tortured about this. He has demons to deal with so he goes back to his hometown, Phosphor, to help forensic anthropologist Patience solve his father's murder. So he's this billionaire playboy, but he also comes from a small country town. He's still a cowboy at heart and enjoys working on his ranch. He's kind, but hard headed. Handsome, but sometimes controlling. It's these flaws and little quirks that keep characters interesting.

In the book before, She Who Dares, Wins, Mac is a professor. One who could save the world's hunger problems. He's also super hot. In the beginning, he's a little sneaky. But at the same time you can see why he's doing what he is. (I don't want to give too much away.) But it's a fine line. If I'd made him too manipulative, readers wouldn't have liked him. His motivation where his love interest is concerned, is what keeps the sexual tension flowing throughout the book. He's a surfer dude, but he lives and works in London. He's creative and sexy, but also a bit of nerd.


The book I just finished, Model Marine (November 2011), has my favorite hero of all time. He's a Marine. A tough guy but so incredibly kind-hearted with the woman he loves. But this guy is tortured. He believes his soul is so dark that he taints those around him. He's gorgeous, but he's also OCD. And he has an intense sense of duty. But what he doesn't realize, is that he has the capacity for great love.

These heroes all have one thing in common, at the core they are awesome beings. In many ways they are way too enlightened to be real men. (Smile) I joke. I know a lot of enlightened men, but none of them are perfect. My heroes are no exception. While I might be trying to create the perfect guy, he doesn't really exist. The great thing in fiction is we can sometimes get a lot closer than we can in real life. (Smile)

Check out this website and see how busy our guest is. http://candacehavens.com. If you haven't heard about her writing workshops, ask her. They rock.

I'll bet she'd love questions about her busy schedule. Inquiring minds want to know

14 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // May 11, 2011 at 1:28 AM  

    Good morning, Candy

  2. Tamara LeBlanc // May 11, 2011 at 6:50 AM  

    Candace,
    I really enjoyed your blog post. The books sound awesome, and the characters and their conflicts make me want to jump right in and read!
    My WIP's hero is strong and stoic. He's gorgeous (of course) and in love with my heroine, but so far...he's...perfect.
    I don't want him to be perfect.
    I loved hearing that your hero has flaws, and I've been trying to come up with a few, but I want to steer clear of cliches.
    Do you have any suggestions on how to learn more about flaws and how to apply them to my characters?
    Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks so much for sharing!
    Have a great day:)
    Tamara

  3. Scarlet Pumpernickel // May 11, 2011 at 7:17 AM  

    Candy welcome to the pink fuzzies, we're so pleased to have you. I love your hot heroes and your writing. I've been following your career for a while now and I'm totally in awe of your writing. But more than that, you generosity to other writers. Does everyone know about Candy's writer loop where she presents workshops? If you don't check it out and the chat loop as well. Candy rocks!
    Candy can you provide a link in case anyone here isn't already a groupie? Thanks for caring about the rest of us in the trenches.

  4. Autumn Jordon // May 11, 2011 at 9:28 AM  

    Me too, Candace. I love my heroes so much I have to be careful in writing them that the stories don't become all about them. And I love flaws. Man, they have to be flawed. Without the heroine they'd be lost souls.

    Great post! Thanks so much for stopping by the PFS.

  5. Nightingale // May 11, 2011 at 10:40 AM  

    Your heroes sound like men I'd enjoy meeting! And the covers are hot. Welcome to the Fuzzies.

  6. Mary Marvella // May 11, 2011 at 11:19 AM  

    Burning question. Boxers or briefs on your heroes? (When they aren't nekked, of course.)

  7. Patrice Wilton // May 11, 2011 at 11:49 AM  

    Hi Candy,
    Yummy - I think I fell in love with your heroes too! I'm also writing about men who are tortured, returning war heroes wounded in body and spirit and the women who love them. Isn't it fun? Don't we just love these wonderful, brave tortured souls?

  8. Candace // May 11, 2011 at 12:22 PM  

    Hey Gang, Thanks for letting me hang out. Mary, you're the best.

    Tamara... Think about some of the guys you know. What makes them interesting? But they aren't perfect so what is it that causes that? It can be little things or big ones. I like to think opposites, he's strong and trust worthy, but he has a dark side. That sort of thing. But really, look at the characteristics of men around you. :)

    Scarlet, Thank you. :) I'll post the link after this note. You'll see when you click through that there are two types. There's the free one and then a paid one. The free one is where I bring in authors, agents and editors to teach a variety of classes. It's a yahoo group. The paid one begins at the end of May and I'm covering everything you need to know about writing from the creative process, to polishing to perfection.
    http://www.candacehavens.com/index.php/workshops/

    Autumn and Nightingale thank you. :)

    Mary, I do a lot of boxerbriefs, commando and boxers. :)

    Patrice, I do love them. I really, really do. :)

  9. Judith Keim // May 11, 2011 at 12:57 PM  

    Thanks for joining us, Candy! Loved reading about your heroes. They all sound wonderful! No wonder you fall in love with them. That's some of the fun of writing! Love the titles of your stories!!

  10. Mary Marvella // May 11, 2011 at 2:30 PM  

    Love having you here, Candy. Commando is good. Boxerbriefs are, too.

  11. Tamara LeBlanc // May 11, 2011 at 6:44 PM  

    Great advice Candace!!
    Thank you so much for answering my question:)
    Have a great evening,
    Tamara

  12. Beth Trissel // May 11, 2011 at 8:57 PM  

    Hello Candy. I'm late to your post, but found it very interesting. Excellent points about creating a multifaceted hero. Thanks, you persuaded me that they're super.

  13. Beth Trissel // May 13, 2011 at 3:13 PM  

    I left a comment on here yesterday am and now it's gone. Weird. I really enjoyed your post and learning more about you and your 'guys' Candy.

  14. Mary Ricksen // May 13, 2011 at 3:36 PM  

    I left a comment yesterday and poof gone!
    I especially wanted to say that I think I fall in love with my hero's too! I have to love them to give them life!
    Thanks for blogging with the PFS and I am so sorry blogger has ruined your day. Maybe we can extend it MM?