Even minor change is often a hard pill to swallow.

These days I don’t have a lot of time to watch television, but when I do find a show I love, I’d like it to stay on the air at least a couple of seasons. The networks and cable channels just released their lists of canceled programs for 2011.  And I’m in shock. Human Target made the list.  

The show is a full-throttle action drama, based on the popular DC comic book and graphic novel with the same name. It has everything I love in a show. Complex and well-developed characters, action layered with gripping drama, romance, and of course handsome hero Christopher Chance, played by actor Mark Valley.     

‘Not enough viewers” is listed as the reason for cancelation--as if 8.3 million viewers per week wasn’t enough. And what about those ratings?  They remind me of political poll results. In other words, no one asked my opinion before coming to a conclusion.  

Joining Human Target on the cutting board is The Chicago Code, The Event, The Defenders with John Belushi, No Ordinary Family, and Off the Map.  Lie to Me, staring the talented Tim Roth, survived three seasons, but has also fallen beneath the axe.  

Now canceled television shows aren’t the most critical events America faces at the moment.  Mother Nature is wrecking havoc and a failing economy, to name two. But in the midst of all the uncertainty, I’m comforted when I curl up with my husband, Joe, and watch my favorite television program.  We especially enjoyed watching Human Target, and it was the one show that made him smile as he recuperated from operations and staph infections.  Together, we were taken away, if only for thirty minutes, to a place where magic happens.

Do you have any shows that you’ll miss?
Until later,
Pamela Varnado

20 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // May 24, 2011 at 11:08 PM  

    I liked Human Target, too! Some shows hang on forever, even though they don't appeal to me. No one asked me, either!

  2. Scarlet Pumpernickel // May 24, 2011 at 11:12 PM  

    Pam, like you, I don't have a lot of time to watch TV, but when I do I have certain shows that are special to me. I love NCIS, both editions. I never got around to watching Human Target but once or twice. But what I saw, I liked. The networks never ask my opinion of which shows to cancel and I'd like to give them my list! One time in the last 50 years we actually got one of those Neilson rating thingies. I didn't fill it out, it required too much time. But that was more than 20 years ago, so it couldn't have affected your show. If they gave us better choices, they wouldn't have to cancel! We should start a save Human Target write in campaign on FaceBook!

  3. Mary Ricksen // May 25, 2011 at 12:05 AM  

    Hi Pam, I may be nuts, but I still miss Lost and I am still mad at how they ended it too!!!

  4. Judith Keim // May 25, 2011 at 8:11 AM  

    I haven't watched the shows you're talking about but last year almost had a fit when they were talking about cancelling Castle, which is one of the few shows I do watch. I have to be honest and say it, I hate polls of any kind. It's all bogus to me!! Sorry about your missed show, Pam!

  5. Josie // May 25, 2011 at 9:17 AM  

    Pam,
    As a rule, we don't watch much TV at our house. In fact, the TV is hardly ever on. However, I tape 1 or 2 shows. Currently, I love House Hunter International. It gives me a way to travel without leaving my house.

  6. Anonymous // May 25, 2011 at 12:38 PM  

    I will miss Human Target as well. The romance didn't work. I didn't like what's her name. Arrogant. But I'm thrilled that CASTLE on abc is coming back. How can you note like a mystery writer who helps the police? That romance is working. Great post.
    Liz Arnold

  7. Nightingale // May 25, 2011 at 2:51 PM  

    Like you, I don't watch much TV. I really liked Blood Ties, but it was canceled after a really short run.

  8. Pamela Varnado // May 25, 2011 at 3:05 PM  

    Mary, I remember our discussion about Human Target. We both thought the show rocked!

  9. Pamela Varnado // May 25, 2011 at 3:06 PM  

    Scarlet, starting a Save Human Target facebook page sounds like a great idea. Do they still send out the Neilson Ratings? I remember participating in that about twenty years ago also.

  10. Pamela Varnado // May 25, 2011 at 3:08 PM  

    Mary R, I started watching Lost but stopped after a while. I was disappointed when the enemy wasn't some giant dinosaur or other creature.

  11. Pamela Varnado // May 25, 2011 at 3:09 PM  

    Judy, they better not cancel Castle. Did you see the season finale?

  12. Pamela Varnado // May 25, 2011 at 3:09 PM  

    Judy, they better not cancel Castle. Did you see the season finale?

  13. Tamara LeBlanc // May 25, 2011 at 4:58 PM  

    When I saw the picture I knew it was your post before reading your name!
    I don't watch Human Target (though it's on my list of to be watched on Netflix) But I took your advice and rented The Walking Dead. OHHHH Myyyyyy Garshhhh! I love that show. Talk about goal, motivation, conflict...It's all there!
    Great post Pamela!
    Have a nice evening:)
    Tamara

  14. Pamela Varnado // May 25, 2011 at 7:38 PM  

    Josie, my husband loves that show also. When he's out of town on business, I record it for him. Like you, he must see it as a way of traveling abroad without leaving his house.

  15. Pamela Varnado // May 25, 2011 at 7:41 PM  

    Liz, Mrs. Pucchi wasn't my idea of a great heroine also, but I did connect emotionally with her. To me she seemed very vulnerable. Castle is good, but the end of the season finale was rushed.

  16. Pamela Varnado // May 25, 2011 at 7:43 PM  

    I remember Blood Ties. The "powers to be" ended that show without even giving the viewers an emotionally satisfying ending. I'm still bitter over that lost.

  17. Pamela Varnado // May 25, 2011 at 7:44 PM  

    Tamara, I'm glad you like the Walking Dead. It's TV at it's best, at least in my humble opinion.

  18. Autumn Jordon // May 25, 2011 at 8:47 PM  

    NO WAY! We love Human Target. @#$^

    I miss watching 24. I loved 24. We loved 24 and never missed. What we don't need is another reality show.

    Damn. There I said it. Damn.

  19. Scarlet Pumpernickel // May 25, 2011 at 10:09 PM  

    Autumn, I'm with you on the reality show junk. I can't stand them. I also like Castle and the final episode this season was a major cliff hanger! Call me strange, but I liked House. But my favorite is still NCIS.

  20. Mary Ricksen // May 30, 2011 at 7:44 PM  

    I never get to see those shows. We don't have cable and DH owns the remote. Greedy man!!