DO WHAT?

Posted by Autumn Jordon | 8:56 AM | , , | 19 comments »

This is a community blog written by women for women, so let’s talk about something we often don’t do for ourselves but really need to do for our mental health—pamper ourselves.

I don’t know about you but the moment my feet hit the floor in the morning until sometime in the evening I’m on the go, working, taking care of my family needs, preparing meals, doing laundry… The list is endless. And don’t forget the pets. They need attention too. Some days, I feel as if my feet will drop off at the ankles if I stop and propped them up. Let’s face it, women are caregivers and being a caregiver is stressful. Add extra duties (ie; taking care of aging parents or a love one, moving to a new house, remodeling) and you’re adding stress.

Recently, I read an article at Women’s Health (http://www.womenshealthmag.com/health/stress-help ) which stated that some women need to be busy in order to feel alive, and I wondered if I wasn’t one of them. I mean I always need to be doing something. Even now, as I write this article, I’m multi-tasking.

Stress can lead to mental health disorders, like depression and anxiety, obesity, heart disease, high blood pressure, abnormal heart beats, menstrual problems, and acne and other skin problems. So what can we do to relieve stress?

It's all about attitude

• There are some things you do not have control over. Don’t worry about them.
• You don’t always have to be right. Pick your fights. It’s not worth the stress to argue. Give in once in awhile or meet people halfway.
• Get organized. Write a to-do list. Figure out what’s most important to do and do those things first.
• Set limits. We only have so many hours in the day. Set limits for yourself and don’t be afraid to say NO to requests for your time and energy.
Relaxation doesn’t take a lot of time
• Take deep breaths. Taking a few deep breaths makes you breathe slower and helps your muscles relax.
• Stretching can also help relax your muscles and make you feel less tense.
• Having someone massage the muscles in the back of your neck and upper back can help you feel less tense.
• Take time to do something you want to do. We all have lots of things that we have to do. But often we don't take the time to do the things that we really want to do. You know that priority list above, but your want on that list too.


You have one body. Take care of it.

• Get enough sleep. Doing so helps you recover from the stresses of the day and helps you think better so that you can handle problems as they come up.
• Eat right. Try to fuel up with fruits, vegetables, beans, and whole grains. Caffeine or high-sugar snack jolts, wear off quickly. That is why they’re called jolts. You’ll wind up feeling more tired than you did before.

• Get moving. Physical activity will not only help relax your tense muscles but improve your mood.
• Don’t deal with stress in unhealthy ways, such as drinking too much alcohol, using drugs, smoking, or overeating.




There is nothing better than a friend.

• Share your stress. Talking with friends or family members can help you feel better. They could help you see your problems •in a new way and suggest solutions that you hadn't thought of.

• Get help from a professional if you need it.

• Help others. Volunteering in your community can help you feel better.



Long list, right? Don’t stress. Pick one, do it, get good at it and then add another. Take time to enjoy the world God has provided, laugh with your friends and families and pamper for yourself for a few minutes each day.

Deep breaths.

19 comments

  1. Nightingale // May 17, 2011 at 9:49 AM  

    Thanks, I needed that reiminder. I'm lucky in a way that my children are grown and I'm the only one I have to look after but I have a stressful job and never seem to have enough time to relax. I just took 3 deep breaths.

  2. Autumn Jordon // May 17, 2011 at 10:01 AM  

    Good for you, NG. Deep breaths will let to other steps.

    It's raining here today, so I'm heading down stairs to do some stretching and steps. My friend also give me instructions this weekend to handle bat wings. So I'm going to pump those also.

  3. Maeve Greyson // May 17, 2011 at 10:13 AM  

    Wonderful post, Autumn! Now- if I could just put all of this into practice. *sigh*

  4. Judith Keim // May 17, 2011 at 10:18 AM  

    Great, great reminders, Autumn! I'm like you, I multi-task all the time, never quite just sitting. ( I do read though, which I consider part of my "job".) Thanks!

  5. Autumn Jordon // May 17, 2011 at 10:30 AM  

    One thing, Mauve. Just one. Do it everyday. Make it as normal a routine as brushing your hair.

  6. Autumn Jordon // May 17, 2011 at 10:30 AM  

    LOL. I consider reading part of my job too, Judy. It's one of the perks. LOL

    See you made me laugh. GRIN

  7. Mary Marvella // May 17, 2011 at 11:55 AM  

    Good blog, Autumn! I'm with you and Judy. I read a lot. Research, of course.(grin)

    My daughter is an adult and married, but she and her husband have separated and now I am playing Mama when she misses medications and becomes sick or has stormy issues with her hubby or friends or work. Then there is the dog-sitting when she wants to spend time with friends overnight or work out of town.

    I have spend 4 weekends out of 5 at her house lately.

    I do meet friends to relax.

  8. Autumn Jordon // May 17, 2011 at 12:20 PM  

    Sweet Mary, you know my present situation so I wouldn't make it public. I in the same boat with kids (3 out of 5 close to home), always there for them. And now there are grandchildren. This year with my situation, I learned real quick to say no to them. I needed too. At first, it was like I slapped them in the face and I felt like I was letting them down, but over the past few months their attitude has changed. They've become more helpful and considerate of me, my time and interests.

    I guess they realized mom actually does have a breaking point--or that I'm getting older. LOL. Either way, we all seem much happier.

    So be there but draw the line.

  9. Mary Ricksen // May 17, 2011 at 2:05 PM  

    You are so right. We need to take care of our souls and our bodies.
    I think I'll take a walk...

  10. Mona Risk // May 17, 2011 at 2:21 PM  

    I think we don't relax because we don't know how. If we have a free minute we volunteer for a new task. We enjoy challenging ourself even though we resent being tired and stressed, but we can't stop. I hear my DH saying ten times a day, take a break, shut the computer. And I answer, just give me a few minutes. I have one last thing to do. And my last thing just multiplies.

  11. Autumn Jordon // May 17, 2011 at 2:49 PM  

    I love to walk, Mary. It's good for the body and soul.

  12. Autumn Jordon // May 17, 2011 at 2:50 PM  

    Mona, That is exactly what the women's health article was saying. We need to say no and find balance.

  13. Pamela Varnado // May 17, 2011 at 3:03 PM  

    Great post Autumn. I'm the middle child in a family of six girls. Somehow I became the one to fix everyone else's problems. I have to constantly remind myself that I'm not responsible for every member of my family. While I listen I don't try to fix the problems anymore. That's not doing them any good. They have to learn to stand on their own two feet. Now I try, which isn't easy for me, to just worry about what I can control. And I'm working on the pampering myself goal.

  14. Unknown // May 17, 2011 at 6:10 PM  

    Autumn--one of my favorite quotes is "Live and Let Live; you cannot control others." That also should read "you cannot control everything, though you may try, and knock yourself out with the effort, but that does not...."
    Sorry--got off track there a little.
    I have no pets, my husband takes care of our "easy-care" yard, we share all the work, but don't have much, anyway. Read R-E-T-I-R-E-D.

    I'm pretty good at pampering myself even when I don't need much. Don't get me wrong...stress is the number one problem, and that deals with people and events outside our home, those things that we worry about but cannot do much to change a situation. (I hope I'm making sense.)
    Celia

  15. Beth Trissel // May 17, 2011 at 6:23 PM  

    Timely post, Autumn. I needed that. :) Thanks. Well written too, I might add.

  16. Autumn Jordon // May 17, 2011 at 7:06 PM  

    But, Pam, you're wrong. You are helping them. If you listen, it can help relieve their stress and in doing so they might see the soluations to thier problems. Just don't take on their problems. I know easier said then done. (((HUGS))

  17. Autumn Jordon // May 17, 2011 at 7:14 PM  

    Perfect sense, Celia. When those outside forces intrude on your thoughts, causing stress, say, decide in a split second if it's a cause you can take up and make a change or not. If not, take a deep breath and get busy doing something you enjoy. What is the old adage idle hands are the devil's workshop. The devil being stress.

  18. Autumn Jordon // May 17, 2011 at 7:15 PM  

    Thanks, Beth. (((HUGS)))

  19. Josie // May 21, 2011 at 1:31 PM  

    Autumn,
    Pampering is a wonderful idea. If only I had the time--but I know it's an excuse. Thanks for the reminder.