Video Trailers

Posted by Mona Risk | 11:23 PM | | 31 comments »

Video trailers are the big thing these days. A friend of mine, Fran Lee, published at Ellora's Cave wrote that "a book trailer can sell more books than a $500 ad in a trade paper. There's just something about music and video combined in a catchy manner that makes folks pay attention." Fran Lee created a trailer for my FRENCH PERIL. She only used the book cover but in such an artistic way, she made it a great trailer.

You can watch it at you Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBVTnTfOGkE&feature=channel

I created two video trailers for TO LOVE A HERO and BABIES IN THE BARGAIN, using Windows Movie Maker. It took some practice but wasn't difficult.

Windows Movie Maker comes with Microsoft Window and you probably have it on your computer.

Just click on START and then ALL PROGRAMS and then Windows Movie Maker.

Here are a few steps: Capture Video, Edit Movie, Finish Movie, Movie Making Tips.

1. Capture Video:
1.1- Import the pictures you plan to use in Collections.
1.2- Drag them down, one by one, on the show time line.

2. Edit Movie
2.1- Click on picture
2.2- Click on Make Titles and Credits
2.3- Write your caption, either on the picture or in between pictures. It takes some practice to do it right.
2.4- Repeat for every picture.
2.5- Play with video effect and video transitions for special effect.
2.6-Go back to Capture Video to import the music. Be careful. You can't use copyrighted music.

3.Finish Movie
3.1 Save to computer
3.2- Upload on you Tube.

Okay, it's not difficult. It just needs practice. And believe me it's fun. Keep your trailer under two minutes. No one have the patience or the time to see a longer video. Here is my trailer for

TO LOVE A HERO: I use some pictures I bought from iStock, a picture site, and some pictures I took during my trips to Belarus.




And here is my trailer for BABIES IN THE BARGAIN: The babies are my own grandson (with blue eyes) and granddaughter (with brown eyes).




If you like the two trailers above, can you take a minute and rate them at youTube? Here are the links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE5eXfUznGw&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQaxyIdXuAc&feature=channel

If you want to make your own trailer, I will be happy to walk you through the steps. Again, it takes time and patience, but it's worth the effort.

31 comments

  1. Judith Keim // June 10, 2009 at 8:14 AM  

    Great job, Mona! Thanks for the instructions on how to do your own video. I've signed up for You Tube and I think my posted comments came through, though when I checked they hadn't come up yet...?? Good luck with everything!

  2. Edie Ramer // June 10, 2009 at 8:51 AM  

    You did a terrific job on your video. And your grandbabies are adorable!

  3. P.L. Parker // June 10, 2009 at 8:59 AM  

    Loved it. As one who has agonized through book trailers, the easier the better. Very hard to find photos that flow together. Good article.

    Patsy
    P. L. Parker

  4. Jianne Carlo // June 10, 2009 at 9:18 AM  

    Lovely trailer and great blog Mona!

    Can't wait to read,

    Jianne

  5. Nightingale // June 10, 2009 at 9:56 AM  

    Mona, thank you for the "class" in video trailers. I've printed the post and will refer to it when I try to do a trailer. The problem will be the "p" word---patience. And I may well call on you.

  6. Scarlet Pumpernickel // June 10, 2009 at 10:24 AM  

    Mona, I love your trailers! Thanks for the instructions on how to make one! I zipped over to you tube, but couldn't figure out how to comment. I'll go back again and figure it out.

  7. Mary Ricksen // June 10, 2009 at 12:19 PM  

    Your grandbabies are so sweet! And you know already how impressed I am that you made your own video. Cool!

  8. Beth Trissel // June 10, 2009 at 12:55 PM  

    Hi Mona. all your trailers are fabulous and it's an excellent post in that you are sharing your wonderful wisdom. I haven't made one by myself but have sent all my pics, music and script to my good buddy Pam Roller who puts it altogether for me. You are a step ahead of me, lady. High five!

  9. Barbara Monajem // June 10, 2009 at 1:02 PM  

    Fun videos! Thanks for the instructions, Mona. You make it sound very easy. Where did you get the music from?

    The babies sure are cute!

  10. Anonymous // June 10, 2009 at 1:34 PM  

    Thanks for sharing! if you ever need to find great, quality images - I've found a site that makes it easy to search, and images are cheap to free...

    used them for All or Nothing & By Another Name trailers.

    http://www.sxc.hu

    Great tips. I need to try and remake mine so they can go on youtube.

    Ashley

  11. Mona Risk // June 10, 2009 at 3:48 PM  

    Judy, thank you. Your comment is there.

  12. Mona Risk // June 10, 2009 at 3:49 PM  

    Edie, thank you. I agree my grandbabies are adorable.

  13. Mona Risk // June 10, 2009 at 3:50 PM  

    Thank you Patsie. Actually finding the music is the hardest part.

  14. Mona Risk // June 10, 2009 at 3:51 PM  

    Jianne thanks.

    Linda, I think you are already an expert in trailers. Yours is up for award.

  15. Mona Risk // June 10, 2009 at 3:52 PM  

    Scarlet, you have to sign up to be able to rate or leave a comment.

  16. Mona Risk // June 10, 2009 at 3:53 PM  

    Mary, I had a good teacher. LOL nad then I was a good student.

  17. Mary Marvella // June 10, 2009 at 3:53 PM  

    Mona, you are a genius! I'll definitely print those instructions! Scarlet and I might have to work on one together. We might put brains to try that.

  18. Mona Risk // June 10, 2009 at 3:54 PM  

    Beth, I saw your trailers. They are fabulous. You could practice doing one exactly as a copy of an exsiting one of yours.

  19. Mona Risk // June 10, 2009 at 3:56 PM  

    Barbara, it's not difficult, just tedious. You get the music from special sites or you can use classical music that's not copyrighted.

  20. Mona Risk // June 10, 2009 at 3:56 PM  

    Ashley, thanks for the tip about a pictures site.

  21. Mona Risk // June 10, 2009 at 3:57 PM  

    Mary M, any time you decide to do it, give me a call I'll be happy to help.

  22. Beth Trissel // June 10, 2009 at 4:01 PM  

    I should practice, Mona, but as long as I have Pam....

  23. Sandra Sookoo // June 10, 2009 at 4:52 PM  

    Good post! I make all my own trailers and love every minute of it. The long time suck? Finding the images LOL And it's relaxing too :-)

  24. Helen Hardt // June 10, 2009 at 4:59 PM  

    Mona, I have to tell you -- the thought of making a trailer scares me silly, LOL. But maybe I'll try it... Thanks for a great post!

    Helen

  25. Debra St. John // June 10, 2009 at 7:52 PM  

    Hi Mona! Thanks for these simple steps. One of these days I'm going to tackle making a video trailer for a book. This will be a great resource.

  26. Mona Risk // June 10, 2009 at 9:29 PM  

    I am glad this post has encouraged some of you to go for it and create you own post. I was terrified when I started, just like a first submission.LOL

  27. Dayana // June 10, 2009 at 10:59 PM  

    Great post, Mona:) I dipped my toes into Movie Maker but with my busy schedule and being unfamiliar with the program I gave up pretty quickly. I have two trailers out there. Curse of the Marhime and Dancing on the Edge were both done by a good friend of mine and peer author. Trailers are wonderful and I will try my hand at it so look for me to nag you for some help, LOL

    Thank you for posting this.

    Best,
    Dayana

  28. Dayana // June 10, 2009 at 11:00 PM  

    Oh and your trailers are wonderful:)

    Dayana~

  29. Mona Risk // June 11, 2009 at 7:01 AM  

    Dayana, any time. Just give me a call. Congrats on your book being best seller at TWRP.

  30. Josie // June 12, 2009 at 6:08 PM  

    Beautiful trailers, Mona. And if I ever get the nerve to tackle one, I may take you up on your offer. My daughter, the model, has photos available on istock. And my son is a composer--mostly symphonic/orchestral works. I'll have to ask him if I can use his music if I ever get up the nerve to make a trailer.

  31. Laurie J. Edwards // June 13, 2009 at 1:00 PM  

    Wow, thanks Mona! Haven't tried it yet, but your post gave me courage.

    PS Are you looking for any more authors to join Pink Fuzzy Slippers? It looks like a great site! I just had two YAs come out & would love to connect with other authors.

    Laurie J. Edwards
    Author of Summer Lovin' (TWRP)
    Rihanna (People in the News) (Lucent)
    http://lje1.wordpress.com/