The Dalai Lama Lost Me In Translation

Posted by Sherry Morris | 5:15 PM | , , | 7 comments »


I woke up at 5:07 a.m. and panicked. My alarm hadn’t gone off. I didn’t hear the water running, so my daughter wasn’t in the shower. I flung open her door, told her to take a quick shower because it was 5:07. She said, “Okay.” morning person that she is. Then said, “It’s only 5:07. Don’t I usually get up at 5:45?

I didn’t do my workout yesterday since I was home alone. I told myself I might have a heart attack and nobody would be there to miss me. This morning I modified my treadmill workout to a fast walk at a medium incline while I read Ladies Home Journal.

I then watched the Dalai Lama explain meditation. Except my mind kept wandering because it was too hard to follow his rambling English. I think he was trying to say that analytical meditation was better than the other kind. I figured he meant concentrating on your angst and that didn’t appeal to me. I stuck with him for twenty minutes, then decided I had better things to fill my time with, like getting the laundry going again. I would prefer to read a translation of his teachings rather than suffer through his poor English. All due respect, kind sir that he is.
This DVD isn't for a beginning Yoga student. I got light headed when the blood pooled under me in my legs and had to come out of a position early. I'll be shuffling this one to the end of my workout DVDs.

7 comments

  1. Anonymous // February 4, 2009 at 6:27 PM  

    Heck, I'm impressed you got up at 5:07! My border collie would love you!

  2. Mary Marvella // February 4, 2009 at 7:24 PM  

    I'd have to stay up all night to be awake at that hour. So, do you wake up the sun?

  3. Edie Ramer // February 4, 2009 at 7:48 PM  

    I'm impressed too. For waking up early, exercising and meditating. You're doing all the things I tell myself I should do.

  4. Scarlet Pumpernickel // February 4, 2009 at 8:22 PM  

    Yawn, boy that made me tired reading about it! But I was up at 4 this morning commenting on the Fuzzies! Wish I had the energy for all those things! If I got into the yoga position, it would take a major effort to get out of it. Still, I have been thinking about exercise. Does thinking count?

    Scarlet

  5. Sherry Morris // February 4, 2009 at 8:55 PM  

    I *have* to get up by 5:45 a.m. M-F to get the kids off to school, not my choice. I am a night person, so it's hard. I prefer to watch Jay Leno, but then I only get about four hours of sleep. When my husband isn't home and the kids are off to school...shh...I go back to bed.

    I *LOVE* to sleep and take naps and I hate it when people wake me up. But they always do. I think I get an enorphin rush from sleeping or something.

    I'm done with Yoga for awhile. I'll try to get back to the treadmill and some ab work tomorrow.

    Scarlett, thinking burns calories :)

  6. Mary Ricksen // February 5, 2009 at 6:12 PM  

    5:00 am! Hey I am lucky if I have fallen asleep by then.
    If thinking burned calories, I'd be a lot thinner.
    I did yoga years ago. Before the arthritis! Ha!

  7. Josie // February 6, 2009 at 8:46 AM  

    Sherry,
    Love this post, and your writer's voice. Very witty.