Physically, my heroes often resembles someone I know, an actor or a person I met. But let’s talk about their characters. Who are the heroes we like?

In my books, the characters are a complete work of my imagination. In general, I like the alpha hero and the strong heroine who can stand up to him and ends up taming him.

While we often assimilate with the heroine and consider her the major character in a book, I prefer to concentrate on the hero. The man in her life. And mine.

In TO LOVE A HERO, a story sizzling with passion and set in a Russian country, Major General Sergei Fedorin is the ultimate alpha hero, strong, generous, dedicated to his country and his cause. He is a man of action, a respected hero, a general used to be in command, an officer no one would dare to question or disobey.
He is single-minded, sometimes arrogant and oozing self-confidence. Men admire him and women adore him. He knows his status and would selfishly protect it. Being used to adulation, he doesn’t know how to act with the independent and so different foreign scientist. For the first time in his life, he is torn by the conflict between his heart and his mind. The American woman he loves doesn’t understand his mission and deep beliefs.

I fell in love with Sergei while writing my book and reassured my husband that he was the model I used for Sergei’s character. Although he is a contemporary hero, Sergei reminds me of the historical heroes of Kathleen Woodiwiss and Heather Graham

SIMPLY ROMANCE REVIEW: Outstanding Read. Mona Risk's TO LOVE A HERO is a wonderful love story complete with deception, conceit, stubbornness and the love of a lifetime for two people who couldn't be more different.


In FRENCH PERIL, Count François is an aristocratic playboy, wealthy, gallant. He uses his charm and status to get what he wants and manages to walk out with his heart unscathed from any situation. But when he have to deal with a spirited American architect who doesn’t take no for an answer François put aside all selfishness to protect her.

I have known many French friends in my life and used their vivacity, courtesy and charm to create Count François the ultimate French aristocrat, romantic, determined, and very protective. He reminds me of the hero of French Twist by Roxanne St. Claire.

Night Owl Romance Book Reviews: RECOMMENDED READ. Mona Risk will pull you in with her amazing characters and in-depth twisting suspense. She takes armchair travel to a whole new heights as her characters travel to their heart wrenching and spine tingling doom.

In addition to militaries or aristocrats, I love to deal with doctors who struggle to save lives but don’t know how to protect their own hearts.

In BABIES IN THE BARGAIN, coming to The Wild Rose Press, Dr. Marc Suarez is a Puerto-Rican doctor, used to respect and adulation by his meddling family. He’s not an alpha hero, but an easy going, fun-loving man, fiercely attached to his own freedom. His dedication to his patients and his medical expertise earn him respect and admiration. But he is a man who wants things done and wants them done now, and wants them on his term.


When a tragic accident transforms the carefree playboy into a dedicated but novice father to his nephew, he will turn to the woman he loves for help and finally commit for better or worse.

These are the heroes I like, the heroes I fall in love with while writing my stories.

Who is your favorite hero, in real life or in books? The man who will make your heart flutter and stay in your mind long after you close a book or type the END to a story. The man you love as a whole, with his qualities and the flaws that derive from his qualities?

Are you an alpha hero lover?
Do you prefer the easygoing fellow who will make you laugh?
Come on, close your eyes and tell us of your dream hero.

I will pull a name from the comments. The winner will win a copy of my romantic suspense and ebook FRENCH PERIL.

17 comments

  1. Jianne Carlo // February 20, 2009 at 9:18 AM  

    Mona,

    I loved Sergei, he definitely is an alpha hero. It's evident througout the book how much you enjoyed writing his character.

    I thoroughly enjoyed 'To Love a Hero.' particularly your vivid descriptions of the settings.

    Can't wait to read your new ones.

    Cheers,

    Jianne Carlo
    www.jiannecarlo.com

  2. Barbara Monajem // February 20, 2009 at 11:04 AM  

    Hmmm... I think my favorites are dark heroes with a sense of humor... very intense, yet not taking themselves too seriously.

  3. Judith Keim // February 20, 2009 at 11:28 AM  

    I like a blend of qualities--a hero who is strong yet gentle when the moment calls for it... I think most people have many sides to them and a good balance is charming. Especially in a hero. Your books sound intriguing!!

  4. Mary Ricksen // February 20, 2009 at 12:47 PM  

    Mona I told you before how I lov Sergei.
    Both of these books I can highly recommend.
    Love those brooding, yet sensitive heroes.

  5. Mary Marvella // February 20, 2009 at 1:02 PM  

    I like different kinds of heroes but I really love one who can be both tough and gentle. I like a hero with a sense of humor. I don't like surly heroes. The hero who isn't working for most of my critique partners is my only wounded hero and I love him.

  6. Mary Marvella // February 20, 2009 at 1:03 PM  

    Mona, I'll announce the winners of Linnea's 2 prizes after you announce yours so both announcements will be noticed.

    Great post!

  7. Anonymous // February 20, 2009 at 3:22 PM  

    While I like an alpha hero--a man who is comfortable in his skin, comfortable with who he is--I just hate some the alpha heroes that come across as arrogant asses! I like my heroes smooth...smooth in voice, in love making, in dress, in actions. And an alpha with a sense of humor? Totally blows me away.

    I can't remember reading a book with a beta male that I liked.

    And thanks for the picture of George Clooney. Doesn't matter the subject! A picture of George classes up everything! :)

  8. Tamara LeBlanc // February 20, 2009 at 3:57 PM  

    I agree with Barbara Monajem, dark, intense heroes with a sense of humor are the sexiest.
    And Mona, I think Sergei sounds sooo wonderful, brooding yet sensitive and completely heroic.
    Thanks for the post.
    Have a great weekend,
    Tamara

  9. Mona Risk // February 20, 2009 at 4:20 PM  

    Jianne, I am glad you like my alpha Sergei. You have one great alpha with Roland.

    Barbara, a sense of humor always adds to a man's charm.

    I agree with you Judy. I love to see the alpha hero mellow in his sweetheart's arms.

    Thank you Mary R. I am so glad you like my books.

    Mary M. Aren't our best heroes wounded heroes who hide their feelings behind a tough façade?

    Cindy, you are right about arrogant asses. They should not be heroes but secondary characters. There are some flaws that a hero alpha or beta should not have.

    Thank you Tamara. In fact Sergei was a blend of three colonels I met in Belarus during my business trips. To be honest, and because I am not blind, I found the three very handsome. In addition one was a charming rascal who played on his guitar and entertained us with Russian songs. One was very serious and patriotic and one was athletic, always on the go and so ready to help.

  10. Mona Risk // February 20, 2009 at 8:31 PM  

    JUDY, CONGRATULATIONS.

    You are the winner of my romantic suspense ebook FRENCH PERIL. My email address is Monariskzi@cs.com
    Can you please email me to receive your prize? Thank you for reading the Pink Fuzzy Slippers blog.

  11. Scarlet Pumpernickel // February 21, 2009 at 12:52 AM  

    Mona,
    My all time favorite hero was Rourke from Shanna by Katherine Woodiwiss! I'm still in love with him after all these years. He comes in second only to my real life hero, my DH. I agree the hero is the most important character in the book. Great post.

    Scarlet

  12. Beth Trissel // February 21, 2009 at 9:32 AM  

    Wonderful post, Mona. Love your character descriptions.

  13. Beth Trissel // February 21, 2009 at 9:32 AM  

    Wonderful post, Mona. Love your character descriptions.

  14. Anonymous // February 21, 2009 at 10:12 AM  

    Scarlet - I LOVED Shanna and Rourke. I read that book so many times, it finally feel apart in my hands!

  15. Josie // February 22, 2009 at 8:54 AM  

    Mona,
    I love your writing. You have a way of transporting your reader to another exciting world. It's all about the hero in romance writing.

  16. Nightingale // February 23, 2009 at 12:27 PM  

    I really enjoyed this post, getting to know your heroes other than Sergei, whom I've met in the book.

  17. Nightingale // February 23, 2009 at 12:28 PM  

    Oh and I agree with Cyndi -- I like my heroes (and my men) smooth, witty and charming.