I signed up for this blog weeks ago, should have had it ready by now, but kept putting it off. There were always so many other things I needed to do! Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a cleaning freak or compulsive about how the socks in my lingerie drawer should be aligned.

Nope, not me, I can live quite happily amid my clutter and stacks of this and that. But there are times when I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I am in procrastination mode. Usually these revolve around something I should be doing now. In particular it concerns my writing goals. You see, I very rarely get a day off during the school year and look forward to it eagerly when I do. At last I’ll have time to write!

Then the P mode sets in and I get side-tracked. The closet really needs cleaning and reorganizing. The kitchen cabinets should be less chaotic. The laundry has to be done. If you know me, you know I’m procrastinating. I'm not always the enabler in my procrastination, often the family puts roadblocks in my way. The DH needs me to go to Home Depot with him. The DD wants to go shopping, “You never go with me anymore. Besides, it’s my only day off.” This usually translates to “I saw this really cute sweater or shoes or whatever, and I want you to buy them for me.” I’ve learned over the years to spot P mode, but I haven’t learned how to avoid it, turn it off, or escape it. The recognition part is easy. Anytime I think of anything even remotely connected to housework, I’m procrastinating!

Solving the problem is much more problematic. I haven’t hit upon a solution yet. What about you? How do you handle the dreaded P mode? What do you find yourself doing instead of writing?

9 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // February 16, 2009 at 1:38 AM  

    I understand putting things off! I always do. I won't go so far as to clean house (shudder!) but I will suddenly need to surf the web for information. I might match socks, though.

  2. Edie Ramer // February 16, 2009 at 10:22 AM  

    I used to be on time or early, but now I find myself getting places a little late. I must stop that.

    And procastination has a good side. It gave you a blog topic!

  3. Scarlet Pumpernickel // February 16, 2009 at 12:01 PM  

    Edie, I live the way you think! Given lemons make lemonaid! You're a ray of positive light! Today is my day off, and so far these are the first words I've written. But I plan to pack up my puter and go to Starbucks! Got to get those creative juices flowing! DD left late and DH will be home early, so I have to escape, NOW!

    Scarlet

  4. Scarlet Pumpernickel // February 16, 2009 at 12:02 PM  

    Oops, typo should have been like the way you think, giggle! Haven't had my coffee!

    Scarlet

  5. Tamara LeBlanc // February 16, 2009 at 12:15 PM  

    I am the queen B of procrastination. I'm actually doing it right now, blogging instead of writing.
    I happen to be a member of another wonderful writers blog called Petit Fours and Hot Tamales. I bring this up because one of my fellow bloggers, a lovely woman named Darcy Crowder posted on procrastination on Tuesday January 27th of this year. Her inciteful post hit home for me.
    Take a moment to visit PFHT, scroll down to Darcy's post and see if it does the same for you. I bet it might just make a lot of sense.
    Thanks for the post Scarlet.
    have a lovely week and happy writing!
    Tamara

  6. Scarlet Pumpernickel // February 16, 2009 at 6:17 PM  

    Tamara, I will definitely drop by to check out the blog! I visited yesterday and read the blog by Margie Lawson. I beat the dreaded P mode today by going to Starbucks, I actually started my new project! Got 6 pages, yeah!

    Scarlet-- who is now pumped and ready to defeat the P mode!

  7. Beth Trissel // February 16, 2009 at 6:20 PM  

    I'm with you on organizing the sock drawer. Very important. As are a myriad of other things when I am in procrastination mode. Sometimes I think it's amazing I ever complete a novel. Thanks for your witty post.

  8. Josie // February 16, 2009 at 9:18 PM  

    Great post. I don't procrostinate. (I wasn't even sure how to spell it!) I am just the opposite, and hate to have anything hanging over me. Is there a word for that (that I can spell?)

  9. Mary Marvella // February 16, 2009 at 9:42 PM  

    Maybe anal retentive. (Mary grinning and ducking!