The sequel to award-winning Underdead is available today from www.cerridwenpress.com!

It's been a quiet summer for middle-school science teacher Jo Gartner — not a pre-teen or a vampire in sight. Just as she begins to believe that the enigmatic vampire who turned her "almost Undead" was a bad dream, Will shows up on her doorstep, making Jo more determined than ever to avoid all things vampire and maintain a normal life. And what's more normal than doing community service to help a lovesick friend? But getting dressed up in a Halloween costume for a haunted house fundraiser is not what Jo had in mind. Especially as the entire vampire community seems to be drawn to the place.

When one of the haunted house extras turns up dead, Jo's hope for a quiet existence slips away faster than an eighth grader can shoot a spitball through a cafeteria straw. A rash of "accidents" makes it hard for Jo to know whom to trust, especially when her once-reliable detective turns standoffish and sexy vampire Will grows entirely too charming. She must choose allies carefully as she races to unmask the killer…or the next death might be her own!

*****Here's an excerpt:

“Something’s going on with you.” Becky gave my black-topped demo counter a quick, automatic check for spills and leaned against it. “And I think I know what it is.”
“You do?” It came out as a whisper.

“Yes. Let’s look at the symptoms, shall we?” She ticked them off on her fingers. “You haven’t gone on a date in months, you get here at dawn, leave at dusk and spend your weekends sitting alone inside your apartment eating nothing but takeout burgers and chocolate, when you eat at all.”

She narrowed her dark almond-shaped eyes at me. I swallowed convulsively, unable to look away.

“You’ve got chronic PMS,” she said.

“What? I do not have—”

She grinned and then her expression sobered. “I am worried that you’re depressed.”

I grunted in dismissal.

“Not that I blame you,” She looked around my classroom at the solar system dioramas, sagging volcano posters, and dusty mineral display and curled her lip. “Teaching eighth grade earth science would depress anyone. But I have a plan.”

“Oh no.” I knew her plans. It was because of one of them that I now occupied the strange and lonely world between normal human being and vampire. I sank deeper in my chair and closed my eyes, trying to ignore the sharp bite of disappointment. I longed to tell her—tell her what? I couldn’t explain what was really going on. It was too fantastical.

I was too tired to make up another of my excuses. Maybe if I fell asleep she’d just go away.

“Better yet, I’ve already set the wheels in motion.”

My eyes snapped back open. “Becky, what have you done?”
*****


If you need want to catch up in the series, UNDERDEAD is available in ebook and trade paperback.

“UNDERDEAD is certainly not your typical vampire story, it's better…. I guarantee UNDERDEAD will have you laughing out loud, while keeping you in suspense right up until the end.”--Two Lips Reviews

"Hysterically funny…a page-turner extraordinaire." –Myshelf.com

Five Stars! "Amusing fast-paced paranormal whodunit that the audience will enjoy because of the combination of suspense, romance and the supernatural. Jo is terrific!"—Harriet Klausner, Amazon.com #1 Reviewer


Liz Jasper is the award-winning author of Underdead and Underdead in Denial. You can read excerpts and reviews of her mystery novels at www.lizjasper.com

19 comments

  1. Anonymous // October 2, 2008 at 1:02 PM  

    Liz,
    I'm so excited for you. I'm expecting another laugh outloud read about Jo's outrageous life. For those that haven't read Underdead, you've missed winner and I'd recommending buying both.

    Here's to great sales...again.
    Judythe

  2. Anonymous // October 2, 2008 at 1:10 PM  

    Are any of these books available in Barnes and Noble? I went there yesterday, and they've never even heard of the books listed on this blog! What gives?

  3. Helen Scott Taylor // October 2, 2008 at 2:06 PM  

    Hi Liz,
    Can't wait to get my hands on a copy of Underdead In Denial. I loved the first installment of Jo's life and I'm looking forward to catching up with her antics.

  4. Beth Trissel // October 2, 2008 at 2:06 PM  

    Your wit shines through, Liz. I love your humor and this looks great. :)
    High five!

  5. Kat Jorgensen // October 2, 2008 at 2:06 PM  

    Liz,
    How exciting that your newest book in the Underdead series is out. I can't wait to read it. You are a gifted and talented writer. And Jo is a wonderful heroine - underdead or not.

    Kat

  6. Nightingale // October 2, 2008 at 2:33 PM  

    Interesting background and excerpt. This sounds like the kind of book I want to read.

  7. Ginger Calem // October 2, 2008 at 4:15 PM  

    Woo Hoo...Book Two! That's awesome, Liz. Congratuations and I can't wait to read it.

    Ginger

  8. Liz Jasper // October 2, 2008 at 4:56 PM  

    (Okay, Google at my first response. Evil Google!)
    Thanks Judythe, Helen, Beth, Kat, Linda and Ginger for your support! I hope you enjoy Underdead In Denial.

    Anon,
    I can only speak for my books. Underdead In Denial is published exclusively as an ebook from www.cerridwenpress right now. Underdead is in print and is avail. from Barnes and Noble when they have it in stock, which I admit has been hit or miss. I am trying to work with them to fix it. My book is easily avail. from Amazon, which seems to have a much better inventory system (they reorder when supplies drop to around 5 books, so they're rarely out of stock.)
    Good luck and thanks for looking for our books!
    --Liz

  9. Anonymous // October 2, 2008 at 4:59 PM  

    Congrats on the new book, Liz! May it be an award winner like the first one was!

  10. Liz Jasper // October 2, 2008 at 6:05 PM  

    Thanks Sheila! : ) Liz

  11. Anonymous // October 2, 2008 at 8:14 PM  

    YAY on the book. Love your sense of humor. Good luck!

  12. Liz Jasper // October 2, 2008 at 10:06 PM  

    Hi Cyndi, Glad you get a giggle out of some of the stuff I write. Nicest compliment I could get.
    : ) Liz

  13. Anonymous // October 3, 2008 at 12:16 AM  

    Wow Liz, great excerpt! I will read it again when I get home, I'm spending the weekend in Atlanta at Moonlight and Magnolia Conference.

    The Scarlet Pumpernickel

  14. Anonymous // October 3, 2008 at 12:20 AM  

    Liz, thanks for the info on how to find these books.

  15. Liz Jasper // October 3, 2008 at 1:51 PM  

    Anonymous Scarlet, hope you have fun on your trip and glad to have provided something entertaining for you to read when you get back.

    Anonymous, I'm glad you raised the question of availability so I could at least answer it with respect to the Underdead series. Happy reading!!

    : ) Liz

  16. Mary Marvella // October 3, 2008 at 9:13 PM  

    Hey, Liz, I'm at Moonlight & Magnolias with Scarlet and we're having a blast. Loved the excerpt and and will have to read more.

  17. Liz Jasper // October 4, 2008 at 12:35 PM  

    Mary, I want to be there too. I bet you guys are having a blast. Glad to have provided yet more entertainment for you. : ) Liz

  18. Anonymous // October 4, 2008 at 3:44 PM  

    Liz, still in Atlanta, but cruzed by to check out the Fuzzies. I'm working on an idea for a vampire story, so I might just come back later with questions! I'm new to this genre, so the world building and getting the uniform facts straight will be new for me! Even when you make it all up, there are certain rules, most are expected to follow, right?

    The Scarlet Pumpernickel--reporting from the best regional romance conference IMHO ---M&M

  19. Liz Jasper // October 4, 2008 at 3:54 PM  

    Hi Anon,
    Feel free to ask away. In fact, why don't we collude on a post-conference Q&A at TPFSW about developing worlds, so others can learn from what you've gleaned from then conference and my experience writing paranormals?
    --Liz